Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I agree that the two meals I had on the 777W were quite good. I got the menu from the LAX-MIA flight somewhere around here but IIRC I had the short ribs.
The Flagship First and Business menus are identical now. I take it you are referring to the cycle V1 menu which is the following:

SMALL PLATE
Burrata Cheese

MAIN PLATES
Beef Short Rib

Asian-Style Chicken

Seared Salmon

Spinach and Ricotta Rotolo Pasta

DESSERT
Raspberry Cheesecake Tart
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
From AA's website..https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...#foodanddrinks

Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours Expand

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours Expand

• No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

Is there any indication this will be changing soon? S/O and I are flying ORD-HNL the middle of next month in paid PE. Not looking forward for 9+ hours with no service whatsoever in a "premium" cabin...
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
Is there any indication this will be changing soon? S/O and I are flying ORD-HNL the middle of next month in paid PE. Not looking forward for 9+ hours with no service whatsoever in a "premium" cabin...
On ORD-Hawaii, DFW-Hawaii flights, meal service ( as pre-COVID ) is done on all cabins.
You would get hot meals on those long flights.

Edit: False information corrected and statement clarified

Last edited by ISTFlyer; Jan 11, 2021 at 4:54 pm
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
On ORD-Hawaii, DFW-Hawaii flights, full meal service is done on all cabins.
I don't see that on aa.com or the wiki.....where do you see that listed?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
On ORD-Hawaii, DFW-Hawaii flights, full meal service is done on all cabins.
Are you sure this is the case? AA.com states "Refreshments" for Y/PE on DFW-Hawaii and Y on ORD-HNL flights.

However, meals are listed for PE on ORD-HNL.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
The question came up a few weeks ago and, IIRC, consensus was they just haven't updated it that far out yet.
How far in advance was the change when it was extended last time? Wondering if well
notice a change soon.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I don't see that on aa.com or the wiki.....where do you see that listed?
Originally Posted by aacar
Are you sure this is the case? AA.com states "Refreshments" for Y/PE on DFW-Hawaii and Y on ORD-HNL flights.

However, meals are listed for PE on ORD-HNL.
Sorry for the confusion, Y and PE get a sandwich and a snack in a box. ( Not limited to beverages and biscoffs )
This is a report from 2019 that was posted in FT.

DFW & ORD-Hawaii routes were not affected in terms of meals due to COVID, just BoB is not offered at the moment which is paid drinks and additional premium snacks & refreshments that you paid before pre-COVID.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sorry for the confusion, Y and PE get a sandwich and a snack in a box. ( Not limited to beverages and biscoffs )
This is a report from 2019 that was posted in FT.

DFW & ORD-Hawaii routes were not affected in terms of meals due to COVID, just BoB is not offered at the moment which is paid drinks and additional premium snacks & refreshments that you paid before pre-COVID.
I just checked the trip confirmation email (the booking on aa.com does not show meals) and on the ORD-HNL leg it shows "Lunch/Snack" and the HNL-ORD leg it shows "Dinner/Continental." Strange that aa.com does not match what the confirmation says.

Last edited by FlyingLaw; Jan 11, 2021 at 5:14 pm
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just checked the trip confirmation email (the booking on aa.com does not show meals) and on the ORD-HNL leg it shoes "Lunch/Snack" and the HNL-ORD leg it shoes "Dinner/Continental." Strange that aa.com does not match what the confirmation says.
As United also has PremiumPlus service to Hawaii from Chicago and serves hot meals, AA might have matched UA's offerings on that route in PE and this route might be treated differently than DFW-HNL.

However, I am not sure if this is the reason why it shows "Lunch/Snack" and "Dinner/Continental" on the confirmation e-mail.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I just checked the trip confirmation email (the booking on aa.com does not show meals) and on the ORD-HNL leg it shows "Lunch/Snack" and the HNL-ORD leg it shows "Dinner/Continental." Strange that aa.com does not match what the confirmation says.
This is also what's listed on AA.com when doing a dummy booking.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Transcon

Any recent data points for a morning transcon in J?

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Any recent data points for a morning transcon in J?

Thanks!
Depends on what you consider a meal worthy transcon at AA.....JFK-LAX you get 4 choices and most are hot meals.....MIA-SEA you get a cold Turkey sammie or cheese plate.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
I flew PE pre-Covid19 HKG-LAX in late 2019. It certainly did not feel like a "premium" cabin back then.

Besides the actual seat, it felt very much like Coach. Rushed and minimal service; fights for overhead bin space; two passes for beverages; liquor cabinet allegedly locked up and inaccessible one hour prior to landing.

Never again.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Depends on what you consider a meal worthy transcon at AA.....JFK-LAX you get 4 choices and most are hot meals.....MIA-SEA you get a cold Turkey sammie or cheese plate.
Thanks.

And beverage service is regular (i.e. soda, alcohol....)?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Thanks.

And beverage service is regular (i.e. soda, alcohol....)?
Yep whatever you want and ice too (imagine that!).....usually the FC service is proactive these days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.