Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2021, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by IggySD
Ever seems a stretch, all it’s going to take is for one of the Big 3 to go back to normal and the others will follow suit. DL is supposed to resume meals instead of their tragic junk food box in mid July I think, I’d be surprised if AA and UA didn’t start soon after.
United is actually leading the pack here. They just announced that plated meals will be returning to domestic first class on June 15th. This include all flights over 1,500 miles or hub to hub flights over 800 miles.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by TheFlyGuy2; May 28, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Old May 28, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
We just flew AA LAX-LIH (6 hour flight) in “Main Cabin Extra” on a 321 neo (which is basically Coach from 10 years ago).

I guess my standards remain too high because I was expecting a little more than one drink run accompanied by the disgusting biscotti cookies during the course of a 6 hour flight. Not even buy on board??? A second drink run?

But of course time was allocated to flog credit cards to a captive audience.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by DynamoLA
We just flew AA LAX-LIH (6 hour flight) in “Main Cabin Extra” on a 321 neo (which is basically Coach from 10 years ago).

I guess my standards remain too high because I was expecting a little more than one drink run accompanied by the disgusting biscotti cookies during the course of a 6 hour flight. Not even buy on board??? A second drink run?

But of course time was allocated to flog credit cards to a captive audience.
On longer flights, I always go to the rear galley and request additional drinks during the flight. My requests were never denied.
Old May 29, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
<snip> I really don't see any resemblance of pre-covid service ever again to be honest. Sad.
Ok, so you made this statement, not me (though I tend to agree with you). So, if you genuinely believe this, at what point do you make peace with it and no longer obsess about it?

Regards
Old May 29, 2021, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Because they can. It's a leisure route and there's really no premium competition offering a substantially better product (debatably DL does, but that clearly hasn't changed AA's/UA's minds too much in the last few years before COVID).

-FlyerBeek
Hawaiian offers a far better product in Y, at least, and Ive always been surprised that the big three don't respond. Maybe Hawaiian's network just isn't as substantial.
Old May 29, 2021, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Has AA made any announcement as to when service items like glassware will return to Flagship First?
Old May 29, 2021, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by safari ari
It's not even taking this to change behavior. DL/AS/UA all have food and drinks returning/returned in Y and AA is still twiddling their thumbs to do an actual drink service or even announce when BOB or alcohol will be available in the back. For all the proactive things AA did in F during the past year, its all for naught with the increase in travel these days and they are doing nothing about returning service.
As Gary Leff often says, leisure pax are also business pax and vice versa. I feel like AA is waiting for more business travel to return, but they've already destroyed the perception of the premium cabin to the point where some won't buy up to F going forward because they can bring their own box of food. An exit row seat is sometimes just as good as an Oasis F seat (although obviously not as wide).
Old May 29, 2021, 8:17 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I feel like AA is waiting for more business travel to return
I'm sure it's still quite down, but every JFK-LAX/SFO I go to book is like F1 J1 -- thank god for Airpass.
Old May 29, 2021, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Wasn't a snack basket announced it's returning? I was on phx-dfw yesterday in 5C and there wasn't any just drink service and a "savory" snack package.

Row 5's power was in op and the flight attendant graciously apologized and asked if she could charge our phones up front. Nice touch.
Old May 29, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Wasn't a snack basket announced it's returning? I was on phx-dfw yesterday in 5C and there wasn't any just drink service and a "savory" snack package.

Row 5's power was in op and the flight attendant graciously apologized and asked if she could charge our phones up front. Nice touch.
I believe it *should* be back but the lack of consistent implementation of newly reinstated polices is rearing its head again.

As an aside, I got a snack basket after the sandwich on both my DFW-LAX last Monday and MIA-JFK on Wednesday.
Old May 29, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
As an aside, I got a snack basket after the sandwich on both my DFW-LAX last Monday and MIA-JFK on Wednesday.
Maybe its only served on the sandwich/cheese plate flights. These two items were not offered on my phx-dfw flight (nor do I believe they should have because of the distance).
Old May 29, 2021, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe its only served on the sandwich/cheese plate flights. These two items were not offered on my phx-dfw flight (nor do I believe they should have because of the distance).
I thought it was on flights that do NOT have the sandwich/cheese plate. Or on longer transcons that get a boxed meal or sandwich then the basket before landing? You'd think AA would really want to promote this to fliers and make it very clear.
Old May 29, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I feel like AA is waiting for more business travel to return, but they've already destroyed the perception of the premium cabin to the point where some won't buy up to F going forward because they can bring their own box of food. An exit row seat is sometimes just as good as an Oasis F seat (although obviously not as wide).
my flights have been completely booked or near so. The domestic travel rebound has occurred. It’s the service/amenities rebound that has yet to really be seen.

My recent non-biz bookings have been exactly that (MCE or exit row rather than F). I can tote some quality food with me rather than have an embarrassment for a sandwich chucked my way. As EP I get drinks in Y if I desire - but it’s really not a big part of my flight experience. Just like office space is seeing a post Covid decrease in utilization, airlines will see a drop in business patronage if they don’t up their game.
Old May 29, 2021, 12:16 pm

June Snack Basket

A preview of the June snack basket.
Carfield and IggySD like this.
Old May 29, 2021, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Ok, so you made this statement, not me (though I tend to agree with you). So, if you genuinely believe this, at what point do you make peace with it and no longer obsess about it?

Regards
I agree with him. Unless AA can determine it's costing them business and $$, there is zero motivation to bring it back. I would love to see the analysis of cost/revenue of alcohol in Coach. Even with them charging, I wonder if they were net positive. SWA just announced they were bringing back alcohol service, but quickly reversed it when one of their flight attendants was assaulted this week even before they had started it back. The total cost of serving may just not be worth it to them.

In first and business, I can't imagine anyone recently had booked that class of service based on the food. Anything domestic had degraded to a point that it hasn't been worth it for decades. I would rather have some modestly decent prepackaged snacks plus drink service there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.