Premium Economy DFW-HNL low service standard

Old Jan 26, 19, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Premium Economy DFW-HNL low service standard

Just completed a round trip that included DFW-HNL in both directions. While the seats were undeniably better than in economy, the meal service, and the service in general were very disappointing. The main meal consisted of a wrap sandwich in a cardboard box and included a bag of vending machine potato chips and a cookie. Later a fruit and cheese snack was offered which was OK. Drinks were served in plastic cups. For the hundreds of dollars extra in fare, I would have expected a hot meal served on a tray, similar to what AA serves in economy on shorter international flights. The cardboard box dinner and inattentive service is hardly worth the fare difference.
Old Jan 26, 19, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by RideThe22A View Post
Just completed a round trip that included DFW-HNL in both directions. While the seats were undeniably better than in economy, the meal service, and the service in general were very disappointing. The main meal consisted of a wrap sandwich in a cardboard box and included a bag of vending machine potato chips and a cookie. Later a fruit and cheese snack was offered which was OK. Drinks were served in plastic cups. For the hundreds of dollars extra in fare, I would have expected a hot meal served on a tray, similar to what AA serves in economy on shorter international flights. The cardboard box dinner and inattentive service is hardly worth the fare difference.
wait, there was no hot meal and glassware service for PE? How long is this flight??

Cardboard box?

Cheap Parker
SouthernCross and GlobalMatt like this.
Old Jan 26, 19, 6:22 pm

Programs: AAdvatage
Hmm... That sandwich meal sounds like the same one they provide in regular economy for free...
Old Jan 26, 19, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Over 8 hours!
Old Jan 26, 19, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
PE is not a soft product concept - it's pretty much the seat - hard product - that you're buying.
Old Jan 26, 19, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RideThe22A
The cardboard box dinner and inattentive service is hardly worth the fare difference.
If you were buying Premium Economy for the difference in the food offering, then indeed it would definitely not be worth it. The main seling point of PE is the more comfortable seating with more space. It is more than AA offers in economy on domestic services ( unless HNL is different ) which is nothing
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 19, 11:52 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
wait, there was no hot meal and glassware service for PE? How long is this flight??

Cardboard box?

Cheap Parker
That's the same as the Y product on this particular route. It's about 8 hours gate to gate.

Definitely disappointing for someone expecting a step up, but the domestic F seats offered in PE are worth a modest premium. The Y seats (from a pure padding/comfort perspective) have gotten worse since AA took the 767 off this route.
Old Jan 26, 19, 11:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Actually, the Cheese plate is free for PE only on this particular route. After the sandwich, the cheese plate is a BOB item for the main cabin. Pro tip: if you're still hungry after eating the sandwich if you ask for another, they'll usually oblige, giving you another on the house.
Old Jan 27, 19, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP (3MM), UA PLT, DL PM, MR PLT PREM, HH DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, OTHERS
And yet a mileage award ticket in PE to HNL now costs more than a business/first class award ticket used to cost prior to Jan 16th.

-FlyerBeek
on-a-stick likes this.
Old Jan 27, 19, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA peon
The astrik on the Premium Economy description page does say re “Chef inspired dining”:
”*Product may vary for Premium Economy Hawaii”
The middle and back of the plane for that route is a cattle car (as it is on United).
Old Jan 27, 19, 8:08 am

Programs: AAdvatage
Over 8 hours!
Yep. I flew this route a few years ago and it was pretty miserable in economy. The plane sounded like it was going to fall apart and the thing was ice cold for most of the flight. No way to control the air either. It was the worst flight I have ever been on. Not to mention the fact that we were delayed for about 40 minutes while they turned the engines off and on one at a time (how reassuring!).

Last edited by bigboy61; Jan 27, 19 at 1:11 pm
Old Jan 27, 19, 8:23 am

Programs: AA, WN, DL, Hilton, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
The astrik on the Premium Economy description page does say re “Chef inspired dining”:
”*Product may vary for Premium Economy Hawaii”
The middle and back of the plane for that route is a cattle car (as it is on United).
The PE food and beverage service - 777-200 DFW non stop to Hawaii has been discussed on other threads recently. Yes, the website does indicate the PE Hawaii service "may vary" and it does. One gets a hot upgraded meal on International routes. DFW to Hawaii is a Domestic route. And PE gets the same "meal" as Main Cabin. The addition of the complimentary fruit and cheese plate for PE passengers to Hawaii is a slight upgrade.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 27, 19, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by davesam12 View Post
is a slight upgrade.
Old Jan 27, 19, 9:26 am

Programs: AA, WN, DL, Hilton, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club
Wink

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I know, I know . . . was trying to be positive. for years main cabin got nothing complimentary on this route. All BOB, which they often ran out of before all could be served.
wjj likes this.
Old Jan 27, 19, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
From my experience, all domestic airlines fly their worst planes and worst FAs to HNL due to the high tourist demand. DL offers a few DL One service flights, but even then the cabin is packed with upgraders, not making it conducive to business travel. When I was loyal to UA, I would position to SFO to take the 764 with flats, but they treated that service as domestic F. I don't know about AA as I left US before the "merger".

Search this Thread