Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
I always have to laugh at the strict hiring standards and training for FA's and yet once on the job they continuously get away with being lazy and making up rules.
To be fair anyone still on the job is likely a 10+ year veteran, so just seeing what they can get away with.

I've almost always found the younger ones to be more attentive.
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 6:08 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
My dice rolls came out golden, but it shouldn't be a crapshoot. I wish it was more consistent. Kudos to my last two crews nonetheless.

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Lucky! My latest Skyworst flight, I had to beg the flight attendant for a Jack and Coke, which she begrudgingly got for me, after the lady in front of me asked for water. The plane was a Skywest liveried bird, with an ex-United 6 F seat cabin, and NO WI-FI. What a miserable flight.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Today OKC-DFW A319 we received a PDB and another round in the air.

DFW-MIA 788 we received multiple round beverage service plus a turkey, cheese, and arugula sandwich with a mayo packet and a cookie. Good service on both flights.

Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Oh great, this is going to give the Republic, Mesa, SkyWorst, and "only here for your safety" FA's the ammo to do this on all their trips regardless of whether the flight touches DC or not.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:42 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moderator note:

Folks - please keep this thread on-topic. This thread is about inflight food and beverage service on AA flights. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation. /Moderator
ChurnieEls likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Anyone know if AA will bring back a distinguished soft product for flagship first? I see the menus etc are from business and I know it's only on two aircraft two types, the 321s being considered for retrofitting...
Old Jan 10, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I almost feel dirty posting yet another turkey sandwich. I think I'm up to 30+ of them, but it's still better than what DL/UA are up to.

The cut vs. uncut mystery remains. CLT-CUN's sandwich was uncut. Today's CUN-PHL is cut in half. I had one the other day that was only cut on one side (as in, they sawed halfway through and then got distracted), so I was lucky to pick it up from the cut side first, or else I would have made a mess!

Crew on today's CUN-PHL (AA805) is great, constantly walking the aisles to offer refills & collect items, thanked me for being EXP.

Also of note: Some folks in Y were self-serving booze & giving attitude about it, so they announced over the PA that that was prohibited and that violators would be fined $25,000 for noncompliance. FA clarified to someone in F who was curious that the announcement was just a necessary deterrent measure.

Le sandwich:

Old Jan 10, 2021, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
I had that sandwich. The one from Zoe’s I think? I thought it was excellent!
Old Jan 10, 2021, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
I had that sandwich. The one from Zoe’s I think? I thought it was excellent!
Don't get me wrong, it's not bad at all! I was still tickled with it through mid-November. Started craving variety in mid-December. There's nothing wrong with the sandwich, just with the lack of any variety whatsoever. I've had 4 of those sandwiches in a 36-hour period on more than one occasion.

All domestic meal-time flights >900mi (other than hot-meal catered TCONs/Hawaii and breakfast--and snack-box stations) get the same sandwich, day in day out. When it rolled out, there was a Valencia Chicken sandwich that was also Zoe's that was at least as good... would be nice to have something like that (or something new) appear in the rotation. Mainly I was surprised that the new year didn't bring a change of some sort... historically, there were periodic changes in the meals, snack baskets, etc.
onanisland and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Don't get me wrong, it's not bad at all! I was still tickled with it through mid-November. Started craving variety in mid-December. There's nothing wrong with the sandwich, just with the lack of any variety whatsoever. I've had 4 of those sandwiches in a 36-hour period on more than one occasion.

All domestic meal-time flights >900mi (other than hot-meal catered TCONs/Hawaii and breakfast--and snack-box stations) get the same sandwich, day in day out. When it rolled out, there was a Valencia Chicken sandwich that was also Zoe's that was at least as good... would be nice to have something like that (or something new) appear in the rotation. Mainly I was surprised that the new year didn't bring a change of some sort... historically, there were periodic changes in the meals, snack baskets, etc.
I hear ya!
Old Jan 10, 2021, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MileTrek
Anyone know if AA will bring back a distinguished soft product for flagship first? I see the menus etc are from business and I know it's only on two aircraft two types, the 321s being considered for retrofitting...
There is almost no demand for F now so doubt AA will make upgrades to the soft product any time soon. I must say, however, that all the meals I had in Flagship Business between December and January were great.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 9:58 pm

So what did begging involve? I have two trips coming up with them.
Thanks,
DC9 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by fly747first
There is almost no demand for F now so doubt AA will make upgrades to the soft product any time soon. I must say, however, that all the meals I had in Flagship Business between December and January were great.
I agree that the two meals I had on the 777W were quite good. I got the menu from the LAX-MIA flight somewhere around here but IIRC I had the short ribs.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:46 am

I had the sandwiches a number of times in the last half of 2020 (both the chicken and the turkey) and I was fine with both of them. Not the same as the pre-COVID catering in First but I am fine with the sandwiches for the moment.

The flights I have in a couple weeks still just say "refreshments" but the flights I have booked in April show "dinner" and "breakfast" on the longer flights. So I assume that AA is heading back towards normal First Class catering in another month or two?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by BobOscar
I had the sandwiches a number of times in the last half of 2020 (both the chicken and the turkey) and I was fine with both of them. Not the same as the pre-COVID catering in First but I am fine with the sandwiches for the moment.

The flights I have in a couple weeks still just say "refreshments" but the flights I have booked in April show "dinner" and "breakfast" on the longer flights. So I assume that AA is heading back towards normal First Class catering in another month or two?
The question came up a few weeks ago and, IIRC, consensus was they just haven't updated it that far out yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.