Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
If your flight have been cancelled*** (you should also be able to refund on schedule changes of >120* minutes (241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after 8 Apr 2020), nonstop to connection or connection reduced to less than minimum connection time) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.
2. Note down ticket number in original email if print receipt option is not available.

3. Cancel reservation
4. Submit refund request online.
5. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.

*NOTE: site for refunds is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

*NOTE AA has changed the change time from 121 to 241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2020.

***Airline defines cancelled as IRROPS that occur day or a couple of days prior to departure.

Another way is to reach out to the Twitter team at @AmericanAir.

April 3, 2020: The US DOT posted today an enforcement notice regarding refunds by carriers:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/latest-news
Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed. Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

Print Wikipost

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:30 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Refund Refused within 24 hours of the request being placed. Voucher issued in Euros.
2nd Refund Refused within 24 hours of the request. Voucher issued in GBP but for US flights only.

So I now have an EUR voucher only available from EU locations, not UK.
UK GBP voucher only available for US flights
US $ voucher only available for US flights

Nightmare
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Markie
Refund Refused within 24 hours of the request being placed. Voucher issued in Euros.
2nd Refund Refused within 24 hours of the request. Voucher issued in GBP but for US flights only.

So I now have an EUR voucher only available from EU locations, not UK.
UK GBP voucher only available for US flights
US $ voucher only available for US flights

Nightmare
Without the specific details of each ticket and how you came to request a refund, it is impossible to say whether AA is correct. Were these refundable or non-refundable tickets (having nothing to do with the pandemic)? Specifically, who cancelled? Did you cancel your tickets or did AA cancel the flights in the tickets? Routing is also potentially significant.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by Often1
Without the specific details of each ticket and how you came to request a refund, it is impossible to say whether AA is correct. Were these refundable or non-refundable tickets (having nothing to do with the pandemic)? Specifically, who cancelled? Did you cancel your tickets or did AA cancel the flights in the tickets? Routing is also potentially significant.
AA cancelled some of the flights and some were partners who cancelled.
One ticket was one I could not use as I was not allowed in the US so accept that was my choice.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Markie
AA cancelled some of the flights and some were partners who cancelled.
One ticket was one I could not use as I was not allowed in the US so accept that was my choice.
If the flights were canceled, you are entitled to a refund.
If you have problems with the airline, contact the credit card company
Old Aug 10, 2020, 2:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Absolute crap tier service this afternoon from AA. Reminds me why I almost never book with them even though fares are pretty good at the moment I'll stick with AS going forward.

With SAN - LAX being cut, my SAN - LAX - JFK was rerouted to SAN - PHL - JFK. Obviously going from sharklets to normal A321 is a clear downgrade, but my second flight PHL - JFK was downgraded J -> Y as well. Additionally, my departure time has changed >4 hours. Clear cut refund case.

Not to mention, a later segment intra Europe on BA cancelled on the same PNR. 3 clear areas where I should be entitled to a full refund.

A very rude CSR insisted that I was not entitled to a refund and basically called me dumb when I pushed back on her claims. I'm sympathetic that it's stressful times and CSR agents must be pitfully trained but incompetence and stress are not excuses for being rude.

And people wonder why AA stock is in the gutters. Issuing a chargeback (and this is an expensive booking so stupid on them).
Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Absolute crap tier service this afternoon from AA. Reminds me why I almost never book with them even though fares are pretty good at the moment I'll stick with AS going forward.

With SAN - LAX being cut, my SAN - LAX - JFK was rerouted to SAN - PHL - JFK. Obviously going from sharklets to normal A321 is a clear downgrade, but my second flight PHL - JFK was downgraded J -> Y as well. Additionally, my departure time has changed >4 hours. Clear cut refund case.

Not to mention, a later segment intra Europe on BA cancelled on the same PNR. 3 clear areas where I should be entitled to a full refund.

A very rude CSR insisted that I was not entitled to a refund and basically called me dumb when I pushed back on her claims. I'm sympathetic that it's stressful times and CSR agents must be pitfully trained but incompetence and stress are not excuses for being rude.

And people wonder why AA stock is in the gutters. Issuing a chargeback (and this is an expensive booking so stupid on them).
Agree you should be due the option of a refund, though if it was me, I would probably just drive from SAN to LAX if I wanted to keep the booking and the sharklets. Presumably they'd let you do that.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Agree you should be due the option of a refund, though if it was me, I would probably just drive from SAN to LAX if I wanted to keep the booking and the sharklets. Presumably they'd let you do that.
With lack of FL, poor in flight service, and who knows when I’ll be able to go to Europe, not to mention the drive from SAN - LAX is horrid for my departure time, I rather get the refund
Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
With lack of FL, poor in flight service, and who knows when I’ll be able to go to Europe, not to mention the drive from SAN - LAX is horrid for my departure time, I rather get the refund
Just dispute the charge with the card company - if the airline has cancelled the flight/downgraded from what was paid , then should be no difficulty getting a refund
Old Aug 11, 2020, 6:04 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Applied 7/30, received 8/9, posted 8/11.

Flight was cancelled and after the reschedule, one-stop became a two-stop and the takeoff time was rescheduled from 3:15pm to 6:45am.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Applied 7/30, received 8/9, posted 8/11.

Flight was cancelled and after the reschedule, one-stop became a two-stop and the takeoff time was rescheduled from 3:15pm to 6:45am.
applied on 8/19 - thats 8 days now. can anyone give me a figure how long it'll take? is "8 business days" still a realistic number?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Nephoi
applied on 8/19 - thats 8 days now. can anyone give me a figure how long it'll take? is "8 business days" still a realistic number?
Still realistic. Had a refund from earlier this month that took around 10 calendar days.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by econ
Still realistic. Had a refund from earlier this month that took around 10 calendar days.
so refund should be finish any time soon? thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 3:56 pm

Hi all,

I found some better flights so I was going to change my booking with the COVID flight waiver. The original flights haven’t been cancelled and no schedule or equipment change so I’m going to use my one flight change for free option.

The new flight is more expensive that the original flight so I’ll pay the difference in cash. Does this reset the one flight counter by using cash for part payment?
Old Aug 31, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: EXPLT
With the multitude of flight / schedule changes over the weekend that were implemented for OCT, I had several planned non-stops that were cancelled. I had called in to cancel them and request refund, to which the agent relayed I was eligible and the refund will go to "the original form of payment". One of the flights was purchased using flight credit. So after a few days since the cancellation and refund request, I notice that all of the cancellations went to my "flight credit" in the wallet. I read that cancellations / refunds will take some time, and no problems with that. But I was wondering if anyone else who had cancelled and requested (and were eligible) also had the cancelled flight value initially go to the flight credit in the wallet? Maybe the flight credit section is a first step until the refund is fully processed, which again takes some time I understand.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I had a trip purchased from AA where not one but two of the flights were cancelled by the carriers -- both IB-marketed but one IB metal and one BA metal. After the second I received a text from AA about it, asking me to call. So I did, and instructed the AAgent to cancel the whole thing for complete refund.

Then I went to prefunds, and in stepping through their process I saw that they intended to deduct a $400 fee from my refund. So I aborted the process and instead used the Customer Relations link on prefunds to make my case for a full refund. I checked the "no" box on the "am I requesting a refund?" which I'm sure in retrospect was the wrong thing to do; I don't know what I was thinking.

Anyway, that was a week ago, I figure I should wait another week before doing anything, but if nothing happens by then I'm not sure if I should retry with "yes", or maybe that just muddies the waters?

Or maybe I should go ahead with the refund request and fight for a refund of the fee after that?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.