Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
If your flight have been cancelled*** (you should also be able to refund on schedule changes of >120* minutes (241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after 8 Apr 2020), nonstop to connection or connection reduced to less than minimum connection time) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.
2. Note down ticket number in original email if print receipt option is not available.

3. Cancel reservation
4. Submit refund request online.
5. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.

*NOTE: site for refunds is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

*NOTE AA has changed the change time from 121 to 241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2020.

***Airline defines cancelled as IRROPS that occur day or a couple of days prior to departure.

Another way is to reach out to the Twitter team at @AmericanAir.

April 3, 2020: The US DOT posted today an enforcement notice regarding refunds by carriers:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/latest-news
Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed. Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

Print Wikipost

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:34 am

I called yesterday to cancel a reservation where AA had cancelled both of the non-stops I had booked between JAX and DCA. I asked for a refund and the phone agent asked said why should you get a refund. And my response was you have cancelled both of my non-stop flights and replaced them with connections and that is not acceptable; if I wanted connections I would have booked that originally. She then agreed I was due a refund but told me I'd be better off requesting a refund online. So she cancelled the reservation and I asked for a refund online.
I got a response this morning that my trip was "non-refundable" but don't worry, we'll give you a credit......? I don't need another credit and I am due a refund. Thanks AA. Apparently they are just ignoring the DOT guidelines now...
Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by b74l
With the multitude of flight / schedule changes over the weekend that were implemented for OCT, I had several planned non-stops that were cancelled. I had called in to cancel them and request refund, to which the agent relayed I was eligible and the refund will go to "the original form of payment". One of the flights was purchased using flight credit. So after a few days since the cancellation and refund request, I notice that all of the cancellations went to my "flight credit" in the wallet. I read that cancellations / refunds will take some time, and no problems with that. But I was wondering if anyone else who had cancelled and requested (and were eligible) also had the cancelled flight value initially go to the flight credit in the wallet? Maybe the flight credit section is a first step until the refund is fully processed, which again takes some time I understand.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
It appears that AA has decided that you're only due a credit, not a refund. They just did the same thing to me. I cancelled a reservation where AA had cancelled my non-stop flights. I got an email saying I was getting a credit, so don't worry. And it showed up in my wallet. I think someone in refunds decided that you don't deserve a refund, just like they did to me. The last refund that they DID give me went back to my credit card within about a day after I requested it.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BobOscar
I called yesterday to cancel a reservation where AA had cancelled both of the non-stops I had booked between JAX and DCA. I asked for a refund and the phone agent asked said why should you get a refund. And my response was you have cancelled both of my non-stop flights and replaced them with connections and that is not acceptable; if I wanted connections I would have booked that originally. She then agreed I was due a refund but told me I'd be better off requesting a refund online. So she cancelled the reservation and I asked for a refund online.
I got a response this morning that my trip was "non-refundable" but don't worry, we'll give you a credit......? I don't need another credit and I am due a refund. Thanks AA. Apparently they are just ignoring the DOT guidelines now...
You're likely attributing malice when incompetence is most likely. I'm betting they never even saw it was changed from nonstop to connection. Did you note (not that should have to) that it was change from nonstop to connection?

I would call back and get agent to communicate the basis for refund.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You're likely attributing malice when incompetence is most likely. I'm betting they never even saw it was changed from nonstop to connection. Did you note (not that should have to) that it was change from nonstop to connection?

I would call back and get agent to communicate the basis for refund.
I wrote in my refund request that my flights were changed from non-stops. So whoever "reviewed" the request would have known that.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your flights were not "changed" they were "cancelled." That makes all the difference. Changes only result in a refund when they are "significant" and I have no idea what yours involved.

You could take another shot with AA making it clear that AA cancelled and that you are therefore due a refund or you could initiate a chargeback on the basis that the flights were cancelled.

Worth noting that the DOT rule dating to 2011 is that a refund is due if your flight is either cancelled or significantly changed.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 12:57 pm

I am no longer going on this trip due to COVID. I feel like theres a lot of misinformation about this process so would appreciate any thoughts.

AA roundtrip flight USA to St Marteen purchased 2019 on gift cards. Set to fly in 8 days. Over the summer the flights were changed. My arrival time back to USA is 80 minutes earlier than previously planned. Does that make me eligible for a full refund?

If not, how long can I wait to see if the flight gets cancelled - 48 hours before departure? At 48 hours should I cancel and take flight credit? Do I have to use that to fly to St Marteen or anywhere in the world?
Old Sep 5, 2020, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For a refund, AA requires 4 hours for it to be considered "significant" under the DOT rule. You may call and ask, but it is unlikely that AA will refund at 80 minutes (unless you are connecting, this change brings you below MCT and the ultimate arrival time thus above 4 hours).

I would wait. If the flight is cancelled or significantly changed, then seek a refund. Wait until a few hours before scheduled departure as flights are cancelled or significantly delayed for all manner of reasons beyond the pandemic. At worst, you get a funny money credit which makes you no worse off than you are if you cancel today.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
For a refund, AA requires 4 hours for it to be considered "significant" under the DOT rule.
For tickets issued prior to April 8, changes of 60 minutes or greater qualify for a refund.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
AA Refund Data Point: DCA/ATL round trip ticket issued in January 2020 for travel in October 2020.

Schedule changed to DCA/PHL/ATL and ATL/CLT/DCA. (AA no longer flying DCA/ATL nonstop from what I can see)

Cancelled online, submitted refund request using prefunds (per WiKi instructions) on 30 August 2020.

Refund processed 07 September 2020, and prefunds status updated.

E-mail confirmation received 08 September 2020, and now just waiting for the refund to post to my CC.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:45 am

I complained about my credit instead of refund on Friday September 4 and the phone reservationist I spoke to that day was supposed to put in a complaint on it too. Now it says "pending review"..From what others have said, I expect it will be saying "pending review" for quite awhile more...what a bunch of bozos.. The original request that resulted in the credit was because they cancelled my two non-stop flights..
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I had a trip purchased from AA where not one but two of the flights were cancelled by the carriers -- both IB-marketed but one IB metal and one BA metal. After the second I received a text from AA about it, asking me to call. So I did, and instructed the AAgent to cancel the whole thing for complete refund.

Then I went to prefunds, and in stepping through their process I saw that they intended to deduct a $400 fee from my refund. So I aborted the process and instead used the Customer Relations link on prefunds to make my case for a full refund. I checked the "no" box on the "am I requesting a refund?" which I'm sure in retrospect was the wrong thing to do; I don't know what I was thinking.

Anyway, that was a week ago, I figure I should wait another week before doing anything, but if nothing happens by then I'm not sure if I should retry with "yes", or maybe that just muddies the waters?

Or maybe I should go ahead with the refund request and fight for a refund of the fee after that?

Any advice would be appreciated.
It turns out I needn't have worried. 9 days after I submitted the note to CR, I received an email saying a refund had been posted to my card, and it was for the full amount.
JPG3392 and siamflyer like this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:50 pm

I'm waiting on american airlines refund

Originally Posted by merlin90
I called on Tuesday and, despite being told it would be 7–10 business days before the refund came through, the money has been credited back to my card this morning. A very pleasant surprise.
Hello I did my refund on line on Friday the man said 7 to 20 business days how long did it take you to get your refund
siamflyer likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EP
Most process on the 7th business day.

Originally Posted by July216ae
Hello I did my refund on line on Friday the man said 7 to 20 business days how long did it take you to get your refund
siamflyer likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 8:14 am

How long did it take you to get refund

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
It turns out I needn't have worried. 9 days after I submitted the note to CR, I received an email saying a refund had been posted to my card, and it was for the full amount.
hello i did my refund online on friday of last week they said I'll be getting full amount that it be 7 to 20 days how soon did you have to wait? How soon should i get mine since i did it friday ?
siamflyer likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 1:43 pm

AA is really trying their hardest not to give me a refund for my cancelled non-stops next week. I called AA once again after receiving an email from AA saying they were not giving me a refund because I booked my ticket through a travel agency (not true). The phone agent put me on hold and told me he was talking to refunds after I made it very clear to him that AA CANCELLED both of my flights; I want a refund, not a credit; the DOT says you have to give me a refund to my credit card. He came back & told me it was done (I'll believe that when I see it refunded to my credit card). It now still says "pending review" on the refunds page. On another page it previously said that it was "refunded" but that was not true; they had given me a credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.