Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
If your flight have been cancelled*** (you should also be able to refund on schedule changes of >120* minutes (241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after 8 Apr 2020), nonstop to connection or connection reduced to less than minimum connection time) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.
2. Note down ticket number in original email if print receipt option is not available.

3. Cancel reservation
4. Submit refund request online.
5. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.

*NOTE: site for refunds is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

*NOTE AA has changed the change time from 121 to 241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2020.

***Airline defines cancelled as IRROPS that occur day or a couple of days prior to departure.

Another way is to reach out to the Twitter team at @AmericanAir.

April 3, 2020: The US DOT posted today an enforcement notice regarding refunds by carriers:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/latest-news
Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed. Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

Print Wikipost

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:49 am

Stupid question (I tried searching this thread for "different credit card").

I no longer have the original credit card (I cancelled/closed the account) for a flight that was booked last year. Do I just add a note in the prefunds site to request a check?

Or what will happen?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by asnovici
is this still happening? Will an agent offer 20% bonus if I accept a voucher instead of refund when I call to cancel a booking that has a few flights cancelled within it? I haven’t heard much lately on that bonus option
Yesterday, my paid Business Class flight to Finland (AA and Finnair) was completely cancelled when I called the agent. The agent told me to go to Prefunds.aa.com to ask for my full refund for the flight, otherwise I would just get the standard credit to my AA account.

I went through the process on the Prefunds website. It asks you if you want a voucher for 100% of the price, or "explore other refund options." If you choose to explore other refund options, the website makes a second offer, with the 20% bonus for a voucher.

Because my tickets were international business class, I took the extra 20% because it was a significant amount of money. I am now in the "pending approval" state.
renila, hurnik and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
Originally Posted by wolf539
Update: Twitter DM proved to be the best route for me. Refund processed yesterday after 31 days. Waiting for it to hit my CC account.
Well done! I'll wait a bit longer then push a bit harder via Twitter message. Now 20 days... and counting.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by hurnik
Stupid question (I tried searching this thread for "different credit card").

I no longer have the original credit card (I cancelled/closed the account) for a flight that was booked last year. Do I just add a note in the prefunds site to request a check?

Or what will happen?
The same thing happened to me regarding an AA award flight I booked in late 2019. Due to a significant schedule change (4 hours), I cancelled the flight and the miles were re-deposited immediately. The taxes (just $5.60) were refunded to the credit card that I had used to pay, but had cancelled in the meantime. I received two credit card statements showing a positive balance of $5.60, and then a check in the mail for the appropriate amount from the credit card company.
hurnik likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA - PLT Marriott: Silver
Anyone had an issue with getting back the full amount of a mileage copay upgrade on an AA-cancelled flight. Had a copay upgrade applied to a DFW-CDG in May ($350 +25,000 Miles). Cancelled flight, received refund for flight, applied for refund for Copay through the Platinum line, received mile refund instantly and in full, was given a tracking number, just checked it today, and its showing as a $150 refund. Anyone have any tips here? Called them and they said there's nothing they can see or do from their end, and to use the generic refunds email, which I've started.
Old May 1, 2020, 8:29 am

My return flight on a r/t LHR-JFK in June was canceled. AA tells me I can change the date but not receive a refund. Is that correct?
Old May 1, 2020, 8:30 am

I had a DEN-DFW-SJO trip scheduled for last week. American cancelled the Costa Rica flights in March but kept the domestic legs intact. I had to call to cancel those then submit the online refund request, which had the same bug others have reported where only the value of the domestic legs was shown (less than 10% of the ticket price). After manual review, I got the base value of the flights refunded about 7 business days later. The refund for the domestic Main Cabin Extra fees posted the next day, and the refund for the international flight seat fees didn't come through until a week later. Not sure why the refund was processed in three pieces, but I did get the full flight costs back within about 2.5 weeks of the refund request.
Old May 1, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
I got a refund in a similar situation (inbound flight cancelled). Although it has not hit my account yet (been 21 days).
Old May 4, 2020, 7:24 am

Have to share a laugh - we were booked for a family trip to Pisa, Italy in June (BOS-LHR-PSA all on BA). BA cancelled the LHR-PSA leg on 24 April and my AA PNR finally updated this morning. PNR now shows our destination as Pisa, United Kingdom. Brexiteers somewhere are screaming ...
Old May 4, 2020, 9:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CM10014
Have to share a laugh - we were booked for a family trip to Pisa, Italy in June (BOS-LHR-PSA all on BA). BA cancelled the LHR-PSA leg on 24 April and my AA PNR finally updated this morning. PNR now shows our destination as Pisa, United Kingdom. Brexiteers somewhere are screaming ...
well.. TECHNICALLY if the entire continent of europe would be part of the united Kingdom, you could leave the EU and keep the single market..
Old May 4, 2020, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In early March I booked BOS-LHR, ATH-BOS and paid to upgrade to premium economy. I just saw that AA canceled BOS-LHR and rebooked me BOS-ORD-LHR, and the departure time changed from 7:50pm to 2:30pm. I just submitted a refund request on the website. But how do I get refunded the premium economy buy-up? I don't think it had a separate ticket number or anything.

The rebooked flights put us in regular Y, so it's clear I should get a refund of that, at any rate.
Old May 4, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CM10014
This happens all the time, for some bizarre reason. I had this happen when my SJU flight cancelled. If I remember correctly, the system showed San Juan, NC (or maybe it was Charlotte, PR).
Old May 6, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
I requested a refund for a trip to Iceland after the airline officially canceled my flight. I have been waiting for the refund for 4/19. Today i looked into to it and entered the ticket number and last name into the request a receipt area to see if there was any data i could see. It shows for all four of my seats $156. each seat was over $600. Is this just the first leg showing or is it a place holder or will they try to refund a quarter of the value??
Old May 6, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It appears that BA has just loaded its flight cancellations for June. I was originally booked on a codeshare (AA flight number, BA metal) that is now longer operating. It's not available for booking via BA or AA. When I go into "Manage My Booking" on BA.com, it doesn't show the flight (only an intra-Europe segment that is still operating). However, in AA.com, it's still showing the flight as existing when I look at my reservation details. Does AA typically take a while to load these codeshare changes? Or can I call now to cancel for a refund?
Old May 10, 2020, 2:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by OskiBear
It appears that BA has just loaded its flight cancellations for June. I was originally booked on a codeshare (AA flight number, BA metal) that is now longer operating. It's not available for booking via BA or AA. When I go into "Manage My Booking" on BA.com, it doesn't show the flight (only an intra-Europe segment that is still operating). However, in AA.com, it's still showing the flight as existing when I look at my reservation details. Does AA typically take a while to load these codeshare changes? Or can I call now to cancel for a refund?
Give it 48 hours and it will disappear on AA as well.
OskiBear likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.