Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
If your flight have been cancelled*** (you should also be able to refund on schedule changes of >120* minutes (241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after 8 Apr 2020), nonstop to connection or connection reduced to less than minimum connection time) and you want to refund, no need to call AA, just do the following:
1. Take screenshot/email of new rebooked flights/or no rebooked flights as evidence of change.
2. Note down ticket number in original email if print receipt option is not available.

3. Cancel reservation
4. Submit refund request online.
5. Go back to page after a 3-4 days to check refund status.

*NOTE: site for refunds is https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

*NOTE AA has changed the change time from 121 to 241 minutes for tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2020.

***Airline defines cancelled as IRROPS that occur day or a couple of days prior to departure.

Another way is to reach out to the Twitter team at @AmericanAir.

April 3, 2020: The US DOT posted today an enforcement notice regarding refunds by carriers:
https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/latest-news
Enforcement Notice Regarding Refunds by Carriers Given the Unprecedented Impact of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency on Air Travel - The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings, a unit within the Office of the General Counsel, is issuing this notice to remind the traveling public and U.S. and foreign carriers that passengers should be refunded promptly when their scheduled flights are cancelled or significantly delayed. Although the COVID-19 public health emergency has had an unprecedented impact on air travel, the airlines’ obligation to refund passengers for cancelled or significantly delayed flights remains unchanged.

Print Wikipost

Requesting refund for a canceled flight

Old Sep 19, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by July216ae
hello i did my refund online on friday of last week they said I'll be getting full amount that it be 7 to 20 days how soon did you have to wait? How soon should i get mine since i did it friday ?
It was 9 days as stated. Also, my earlier "refunds" where I accepted vouchers were also about 9 days. As AAExecPlatFlier said, 7 business days seems a good rule of thumb.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I booked flights BUD-ORD-BUD on AA in February, only to have them cancelled in April. Unfortunately the booking was not direct but through Ticket.se. The OTA still hasn't refunded me after five months citing the lack of refund by the airline. How likely is this to be true? Is there any chance to somehow check this and expedite the process? Is the OTA just playing for time here?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EP
If u have an 001 ticket, try requesting a refund at the AA refunds site

Originally Posted by gojko88
I booked flights BUD-ORD-BUD on AA in February, only to have them cancelled in April. Unfortunately the booking was not direct but through Ticket.se. The OTA still hasn't refunded me after five months citing the lack of refund by the airline. How likely is this to be true? Is there any chance to somehow check this and expedite the process? Is the OTA just playing for time here?
Old Nov 1, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
I could not find the refund website (maybe my search skills are less than perfect?) so I added it as a note to the wiki - https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

Question though - we were told when we called that we would get a refund based on a schedule change that included an equipment change and they cancelled the flight for us. They told us we did not need to do anything else and that the refund would post in 7-10 days. I thought we had to then request the refund at the above site but thought they were initiating it on their side.

Now it is showing as a travel credit valid through 12/31/2021 in our accounts. We they wrong and we had to request the refund or is it just that I am checking way too soon after we hung up? Will it change from a credit to a refund without us doing anything?

Last edited by fwfdan; Nov 1, 2020 at 11:00 am
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by fwfdan
I could not find the refund website (maybe my search skills are less than perfect?) so I added it as a note to the wiki - https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

Question though - we were told when we called that we would get a refund based on a schedule change that included an equipment change and they cancelled the flight for us. They told us we did not need to do anything else and that the refund would post in 7-10 days. I thought we had to then request the refund at the above site but thought they were initiating it on their side.

Now it is showing as a travel credit valid through 12/31/2021 in our accounts. We they wrong and we had to request the refund or is it just that I am checking way too soon after we hung up? Will it change from a credit to a refund without us doing anything?
In my experience, cancelled flights with remaining ticket value show up as travel credits until the refund is posted.

I've also had to cancel/refund several flights this year over the phone, and pretty much all of them the agents initiated the refund and I didn't have to do anything.

However, there was one exception where after not getting a refund after a couple of weeks, I ended up submitting the request through the website to get a refund.

You can also check on the refund status through the same link you provided.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by econ
In my experience, cancelled flights with remaining ticket value show up as travel credits until the refund is posted.

I've also had to cancel/refund several flights this year over the phone, and pretty much all of them the agents initiated the refund and I didn't have to do anything.

However, there was one exception where after not getting a refund after a couple of weeks, I ended up submitting the request through the website to get a refund.

You can also check on the refund status through the same link you provided.

Great! Appreciate the response.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 8:25 am

Cancelled flight vs. schedule change

I noticed on the AA app that our flights (ATL-MIA-BGI) no longer appear and that we are now booked on different flights with same routing (ATL-MIA-BGI) that are three hours later. I called AA and they said that this is a schedule change rather than a cancellation. I asked what happened to our original flights and they wouldn't admit they were cancelled, they just repeated it was a schedule change and since it was made in advance and the difference is less than four hours, we aren't entitled to a refund.

Is American just playing word games with me? Our original booked flights no longer appear on their schedule and I therefore believe they are cancelled and a refund should be required if we prefer. Thoughts?
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
I had a Sofia to Phoenix booked using the value of a cancelled ticket from a previous booking of TXL-BOS, the TXL-BOS was fully refundable as several legs had been cancelled, and the rebooked flights made no sense, for exmple leaving HEL before the flight from TXL had arrived. I paid a small additional amount of around Ł23 for the SOF-PHX itinerary.

Following another set of schedule changes the SOF-PHX was re-ticketed on a new ticket number but keeping the original record locator. This second ticket for showed the purchase price of the original TXL-BOS ticket, and the small additional payment, a total value of around €1350.

Today I phoned to cancel the SOF-PHX as my Helsinki shuffle had been re-timed, actually cancelled and booked on another flight, and my LHR-PHL-PHX had become LHR-ORD-PHX. Agent cancelled and directed me to prefunds, but this shows an amount of a little over $340 as the amount. Should I proceed with prefund, is their opportunity to correct this or explain, or should I call again and clarify the amount before continuing.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
For the second time, as a UK based person, I'm relatively impressed with AA's comparative speed in dealing with refunds. This time, I had a GOT-OGG trip in February that had a BA leg (GOT-LHR) get cancelled.

Very helpful UK-based AA agent suggested not cancelling because "other changes may happen and we can re-route you closer to the time". But given that the HI Covid rules seem to be getting worse, it just didn't seem worth it. As such, i asked for a refund (December 1). WIthin 5 minutes it was showing in prefunds and I got an email on December 5 saying it was refunded and the money arrive back on my Amex card on December 7.

All in a 9 minute call, which was picked up very quickly and I think that it leaves me being biased towards buying from AA (rather than BA) in the future (despite the lower avois rewards).

Very much looking forward to Hawaii in 2022.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: Independent
Sorry if I missed this in the thread: if I book a flight with a flight credit and then that is cancelled, can I get an original payment refund? Unrelated... is there a list of recent schedule changes?
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by hkcj
Sorry if I missed this in the thread: if I book a flight with a flight credit and then that is cancelled, can I get an original payment refund? Unrelated... is there a list of recent schedule changes?
No. You are due a refund to your original form of payment which is a flight credit (or other funny money).
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by Often1
No. You are due a refund to your original form of payment which is a flight credit (or other funny money).
Oh well, thanks. I guess if vaccination goes as planned it shouldn't be too hard to make use of by 11/9.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 10:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by hkcj
Oh well, thanks. I guess if vaccination goes as planned it shouldn't be too hard to make use of by 11/9.
That’s a big if.

That’s also if governments also act rationally (not a given)
Old Feb 3, 2021, 1:34 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Hi,

I am a bit confused with the AA refund process.

We had flights to the US booked for early 2020 but we had to cancel them due to Covid and got a Flightvoucher. (basically cancelled one day before our departure and 2 days before the US went into lockdown in March 2020) We then used the flight voucher to book new flights for mid this year.
We had flights booked from SYD to HNL for June this year (op by Qantas) and those flights have been cancelled.
I called the hotline and asked what the options are and got told we get the money back but I have to go through the refund page on AA.com

I have done that but never got an email that the process has been finalized but when I use my ticket number and name I can see that it says NOT REFUNDED.

So what is the deal here? Will we get another voucher that we cannot use as the Australian border is closed and they always create the voucher expiry date for 12 month after the purchase date? Yes, we used a voucher for that booking but the original payment for the original booking was made by credit card.

Guess I need to call them again but I am over all those vouchers and just want the money back. Is there any chance for that?
Also, no-one was able to tell me what the flight credit/refund is as I never got an email about that. Due to multiple changes in the last month, they could not tell me the actual flight credit or refund amount.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
After some advice from others who know AA rules and FAA better than I.

I had a crazy routing booked (earns BA flight status due to being measure by individual legs)

It was a one way trip on 6th April 2021 from LGA to MCO but routing via DCA and CLT - gave me three sectors in business which are 40 tier points each and as the kids are with us it got them up the status levels.

I got an email from AA this morning detailing a change in the schedule; my leg from LGA to DCA has been removed and we are flying later to CLT and connecting with the original CLT to MCO leg. In the eyes of AA we depart 10 minutes later and arrive at the same time so as its less than 4 hours it doesn't qualify for a refund. I'm saying there has been a "technical cancellation" as the flight from LGA to DCA and DCA to CLT have been removed or cancelled and replaced with a new flight and flight number from LGA to CLT.

Usually I wouldn't care but our cruise from Miami has been cancelled, the hotel in NYC remains shut and my AA flights from London to PHL and then MIA back to LHR have been cancelled and refunded. Its not a huge amount of money but my kids (21 and 19) are unlikely to come with us again anytime soon so a voucher for them would be dead money.

Can I push for a refund on the basis of a cancellation / flight number change?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.