Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Waiving Change Fees for Travel Purchased on or before 7 Apr for travel through 7 Sep 2020 (Coronavirus)

American Airlines Providing More Flexibility for Customers Traveling This Summer — link

Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 7:00 PM

Download PDF (English)PDF Format (opens in new window)American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility for customers in light of concerns around the coronavirus (COVID-19).

For existing travel

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who have summer travel through Sept. 30, 2020. The offer is available for any of American’s fares, and customers will have until Dec. 31, 2021, for future travel. Fare rules may apply depending on the ticket.
  • Any ticket purchased on or before April 7, 2020, for travel through Sept. 30, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • All AAdvantage® award tickets are included in this offer.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this new offer.
  • Travel must be completed by Dec. 31, 2021.

For new travel purchases

American has also extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchase new travel through May 31, 2020. Customers will have even more flexibility since any ticket purchased by May 31, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. The offer is available for any of American’s published nonrefundable fares.
  • Any ticket purchased from March 1 at 4:30 p.m. CT through May 31, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. CT will not incur change fees prior to travel.
  • This is available for any of American’s nonrefundable published fares.
Additional updates on existing travel alerts can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.

PREVIOUSLY

AA just posted this: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/American-Airlines-Extending-Change-Fee-Waivers-for-Customers-With-Travel-Plans-Through-May-OPS-DIS-03/ FORT WORTH, Texas —American Airlines is providing customers additional flexibility in light of concerns around coronavirus (COVID-19).

American has extended its offer to waive change fees for customers who purchased tickets prior to March 1 for travel through May 31. The offer is available for any of American’s fares and customers have until December 31 to rebook travel for future flights. Additional updates on existing travel alerts, including international travel waivers that are available for travel through May 31, can be found on aa.com/travelalerts.
  • Any ticket purchased prior to March 1 will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • This is available for any of American’s fares for travel through May 31.
  • Customers are allowed to change their origin and destination cities as part of this offer.
  • The new ticket must be reissued on/before December 31 or 12 months from the original ticket date (whichever is earlier). Travel must also commence on/before December 31 or one year from original issue date — whichever is sooner.

Print Wikipost

AA waive change fees p. thru 7 Apr for travel through 31 Sep (Coronavirus)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
i posted this question on another thread but didnt really get any good answers so i will try here. COVID has messed up my travel plans a bit and ideally i would like to shuffle my itinerary around (was supposed to combine india + maldives but will only be doing the latter, if the trip even happens, and want to use my AA miles for the outbound rather than the inbound which is what i have booked now)....

I have a J ticked booked from MLE-DOH-ORD on October 15th. Due to AAs policy, i am currently not able to cancel ticket and reinstate the 70K miles without the $150 penalty (which i would like to avoid paying since literally ALL other airlines are reinstating miles for free smh AA).

If i move the date from oct 15th to an absolutely random date in september (which i should be able to do free of charge), do you guys think that at that point i will be able to cancel and re book since they are allowing reinstating miles for all trips booked up to and including may 31st for travel up to sept 30th?
Old May 5, 2020, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
Tickets paid with cash don't need to be the same route or cabin but do need to be the same passenger. If the new flight costs less than the other flight, my understanding is that you get a voucher for the difference.
- paid for main cabin flight in cash
- tried to change the flight and rep said it had to be the same route, for the same people, for the same cabin. No downgrades to basic economy allowed.

HUCA and same thing with second rep. If what you’re saying is the official policy, it is definitely not being followed.

gold status made no difference, as I’m sure you all are aware anyways
Old May 5, 2020, 11:55 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by yydv
- paid for main cabin flight in cash
- tried to change the flight and rep said it had to be the same route, for the same people, for the same cabin. No downgrades to basic economy allowed.

HUCA and same thing with second rep. If what you’re saying is the official policy, it is definitely not being followed.

gold status made no difference, as I’m sure you all are aware anyways
Wow that sucks. They really should just give us credit.
Old May 8, 2020, 1:15 pm

I booked a ticket in February for October travel. AA still allows me to cancel. Will change fee be waived if I rebook? Right now the policy covers everything before Sept. 30, so not sure if I will be on the hook for 200 dollars change fee...
Old May 8, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Just called into AA, and I had bought a cheap biz ticket last year. She said we can cancel, and as long as fare bucket is avail in the future, there's no difference in price even if the ticket is more expensive. Is this true? I thought only change fee is waived so my biz ticket that I bought for 800 is now pricing out at 3k, I would have to pay the fare difference of 2.2k?
Old May 8, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Any one have any experience switching an itinerary that had a miles + copay component?

My original flights to the UK for April were canned with the initial wave of cancellations. At that time, tickets were still only valid for 1 year after purchase and as I bought last June, I opted to go the refund route for that booking as obviously there was not a lot of time left on those tickets. I did go ahead and book new flights in March for the same trip, but for August, thinking back then, that this would be over in a few months.

Now I’m reading that the UK is now looking at implementing a 14 quarantine period for arrivals into the country and that it may last until July, so close to my travel dates. When I booked the new flights, there was C space available on the outbound LAX-LHR and the BA codeshare Return direct to SAN was reasonably priced in J (and I couldn’t apply a miles + copay on a codeshare) so I bought Y on the way out and J on the return. Anyone know what is the score if I need to push my trip back until later in the year with the miles and copay in the mix?
Old May 11, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by RedElmo
None. The country is reopening in June. Too many protestors out there say so.
That doesn’t help international travellers though as the borders are unlikely to be open
Old May 11, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
I just called. They want $150 redeposit fee to cancel the flight. Said policy only applies to changes.
Originally Posted by quitecryptic
Does the extension though to September 30th include free award redeposit if I cancel a booking?
A bit of play on words, considering how tricky Airlines are now. It says "will not incur change fees" what if i want to cancel a web special Award ticket? Seems like it says i can change the ticket but doesnt say i can cancel and get the miles redeposited back into my account without a fee.

It says:
  • Any ticket purchased on or before April 7, 2020, for travel through Sept. 30, 2020, will not incur change fees prior to travel. Customers must pay any fare difference, if applicable, at time of ticketing of the new fare.
  • All AAdvantage® award tickets are included in this offer.
So I ended up calling to cancel web special tickets for 2 passengers with points from one account. Booked in early April (prior to April 7) for travel US to Europe prior to September 30. Refunded taxes and miles at no fee no questions asked.

Last edited by fwfdan; May 11, 2020 at 2:52 pm
Old May 11, 2020, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by fwfdan
So I ended up calling to cancel web special tickets for 2 passengers with points from one account. Booked in early April (prior to April 7) for travel US to Europe prior to September 30. Refunded taxes and miles at no fee no questions asked.
Still a HUCA situation. Depends on your agent I guess.
Old May 11, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by frebay
Just called into AA, and I had bought a cheap biz ticket last year. She said we can cancel, and as long as fare bucket is avail in the future, there's no difference in price even if the ticket is more expensive. Is this true? I thought only change fee is waived so my biz ticket that I bought for 800 is now pricing out at 3k, I would have to pay the fare difference of 2.2k?
I don't think that's true. It's certainly not what I've been told by at least 3 different agents.
Old May 12, 2020, 1:38 pm

I was able to cancel an award ticket and got the miles redeposited (already in my account) It’s been about 1.5 weeks now but I don’t see the taxes being refunded. Should I expect that or will it be in a form of a voucher? Or did I lose it?

Or there’s just a delay in the cash (taxes) refunds ?
Old May 12, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
I was able to cancel an award ticket and got the miles redeposited (already in my account) It’s been about 1.5 weeks now but I don’t see the taxes being refunded. Should I expect that or will it be in a form of a voucher? Or did I lose it?

should be refunded to original FOP...
Old May 12, 2020, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by fwfdan
should be refunded to original FOP...
Right. How long though? It’s been 1.5 weeks and nothing. Should I follow up yet or sit tight and wait ?
Old May 12, 2020, 11:20 pm

My situation is the reverse. I canceled an award ticket on May 1. The refund of taxes showed up in my credit card today. But the miles haven't been redeposited to my account. Should I contact the customer service? Or does it normally take this long?
Old May 12, 2020, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by kuMAAr
My situation is the reverse. I canceled an award ticket on May 1. The refund of taxes showed up in my credit card today. But the miles haven't been redeposited to my account. Should I contact the customer service? Or does it normally take this long?
I don’t know. Because I had two tickets I canceled me and my wife. One award ticket miles came back right away. The second one took over a week without anything happening. So I inquired so i followed up then and then it got redeposited after a few hours. Now just waiting for taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.