Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account Frozen/Audit - No Way to Respond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Frozen/Audit - No Way to Respond?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by rumboj
Look, just because everyone cant find sweetspots for redemption on AA flights, doesnt mean that there are none. AA has several partners with award availability. Additionally, there is some sAAver and web special award availability that some might find appealing. As I often check routes for fun, I would say there is more AA availability this year than the same time last year. As an aside, alarmingly, in checking expert flyer, I even see C space just out there...up to C7 on some flights yet so many say they cant find any. One just has to be willing to look and accept that there might not be availability on flights or routes that one is most desirous of.
Bit of a strawman. I don't recall ever seeing anyone complain "There's no SAAver/upgrade space on this one flight I want." There are, of course, many thousands of posts complaining of a lack of SAAver or upgrade space on some routes on every flight on every day through to the end of the 331-day booking window. Yes, there are some flights with one, the other, or both, and that's great if those work for you. But it can be exceedingly difficult in some cases.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by bunkunu
I believe the late charging thing is a policy matter
amazon does the same thing they dont charge your card until the item ships or is fulfilled
so you can get a confirmation email but may get a decline email later
I refer you to the many posts upthread noting that Amazon (and indeed virtually all merchants, including many if not most airlines) process a credit card authorization at the time of purchase, and then an actual charge at the time of shipment (or ticket issuance or whatever is being purchased).
Antarius likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
There are many on this thread who have conflated money damages from a contractual obligation. The damages here may be close to nothing, but that does not change the fact that the passenger entered a contract to pay $x as consideration for a ticket and failed to pay that consideration. Thus, he owes $x.

While this is not a lawsuit, that is what a lawsuit would look like if AA really did sue for the fraud.
Which would be laughed at, given that no ticket was issued.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
even if AA can't win I wouldn't test them, if they sue it costs them nothing and you have to pay for a lawyer so you lose even if you win.
It costs AA a lot to handle a lawsuit. Aside from court fees, process service fees, and deposition costs, their staff lawyers don't work for free. It could easily cost them multiples of what they offered the OP to pay, before a single day in court.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
Inventory in my opinion should never be "tied up' for longer than the necessary amount of time. If a credit card cannot pre-authorize the amount for any reason then the inventory gets released right away. Sorry you can't pay for those shoes then you don't get them.
I refer you the numerous posts before yours that point out that the vast majority of cases where the card is declined are honest situations where a passenger forgot to update the credit card in their profile, or a card issuer declined an unusually large purchase, etc. Your nice and simple solution would lose you business and customers. Why you'd prefer that to performing a pre-authorization check is beyond me.
PETERPNYC likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
AA and other airlines or hotels etc. can do a "Fare Lock" and get rid of holds all together. So for the FareLocks that are nonrefundable or applied to a new Ticket AA would have Made $3, 150 on the OP's tickets at $50 a piece which is reasonable but not the absurd $33,000. To take it a step further if AA wanted to monopolize on Basic Econ Tickets ( perhaps including a $10 off Bag Check and $10 off Seat Assignments for selecting them at time of ticketing)those Fare Locks would be $100. If you are not sure about the flight you want pay a nonrefundable $50 and when you book it the $50 gets applied to your reservation. In the end you would essentially have a week to confirm a ticket. I would much rather lose $50 than lose a $1000 nonrefundable ticket per ticket. Yes its a small price to pay but this would avoid these free holds to tie up inventory.
How would you implement a fare lock without removing the inventory from sale during the period?
beagleflyer1977 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.