Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account Frozen/Audit - No Way to Respond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Frozen/Audit - No Way to Respond?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
But the OP never took those flights. He simply allowed the booking to eventually die a natural death after AA gave up on waiting for correct cc information. In essence the OP got a free extended hold. Yes he took seats away that could have been sold albeit they probably were sold in the grand scheme of things. Extended holds cost what $15 or so?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the OP had been putting tickets on hold rather than 'purchasing' , AA's assessment of amount owed might well have been different.

By purchasing and providing payment details, the committment was to purchasing the ticket, not paying to hold a fare
It's the same. If you've ever put a ticket on hold you get a PNR. Just like if you were to buy a ticket.

And if you speak of "contracts", as often FTers do whenever someone complains, what does the contract say about not paying for a ticket in timely fashion? Is there a penalty?
I don't think so. That is why the only thing they can threaten OP with is the AA account. Because there is otherwise nothing illegal.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:08 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by s0ssos
And if you speak of "contracts", as often FTers do whenever someone complains, what does the contract say about not paying for a ticket in timely fashion? Is there a penalty?
I don't think so. That is why the only thing they can threaten OP with is the AA account. Because there is otherwise nothing illegal.
Wrt the AA account, possession is nine-tenths of the law.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gmt4
If allowed to keep an account a person would keep the benefits associated with it. No one said $12K. A $13k fine to keep an AA account open is laughable, especially a basic membership or gold.

AA made an offer they knew the OP wouldn't take. Either they got rid of them or they made some money...AA got what they wanted in the end.
You and I have no idea whether AA would have extended the same offer to an EXP with 1 Mill miles banked who did the same thing. That individual might well pay $13K. OP, not so much.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the OP had been putting tickets on hold rather than 'purchasing' , AA's assessment of amount owed might well have been different.

By purchasing and providing payment details, the committment was to purchasing the ticket, not paying to hold a fare
But we are talking about actual damages here. If AA were to sue OP, they would only be entitled to their actual damages. Since AA sells the ability to hold a fare for $9 per PNR (or whatever -- I actually don't know how these fees work) their damages are limited to that amount.

Again, OP was fraudulently obtaining a free holds on tickets, not free tickets. Holds have value, but they do not have value equal to the ticket. In this case, AA conveniently assigns a maximum value to the holds (since they sell them) so we do not need to go into any complex mathematics to determine their value.

But of course, AA is not suing here (because they know they would lose, for exactly the reasons above); they are simply setting a price for the OP to continue to do business with them. This means that they can set the price to be whatever they want (personally, I would not do business with someone who defrauded me for any amount of money). But the claim that AA suffered $33k (or whatever) in damages is laughable. AA's damages are under $1000 here (holds for 63 PNRs).
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by catsfroggy1
If you had 4k AA miles in your FF account there is no reason to pay $13k to keep it open. You could pay for a lot of upgrades to MCE for $13k.
Maybe not for the OP at the moment, but for myself, I earned half a million redeemable miles flying last year, so thats worth a bit not to mention the elite status benefits.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by AA100k
Maybe not for the OP at the moment, but for myself, I earned half a million redeemable miles flying last year, so thats worth a bit not to mention the elite status benefits.
Hmm, is half a million miles good enough for one-round trip trip crossing some ocean?
I haven't redeem AA miles in a while, so I looked it up. SF to AKL, 400k in business. Very good. But that involves one connection. And it seems like that if only a web special. Regular fare is 655k.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:49 pm

Hmm, is half a million miles good enough for one-round trip trip crossing some ocean?
I haven't redeem AA miles in a while, so I looked it up. SF to AKL, 400k in business. Very good. But that involves one connection. And it seems like that if only a web special. Regular fare is 655k.
Look, just because everyone cant find sweetspots for redemption on AA flights, doesnt mean that there are none. AA has several partners with award availability. Additionally, there is some sAAver and web special award availability that some might find appealing. As I often check routes for fun, I would say there is more AA availability this year than the same time last year. As an aside, alarmingly, in checking expert flyer, I even see C space just out there...up to C7 on some flights yet so many say they cant find any. One just has to be willing to look and accept that there might not be availability on flights or routes that one is most desirous of.
GrumpyYoungMan and AA100k like this.

Last edited by rumboj; Jan 10, 2020 at 2:41 am
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I went SAN-FCO and return for Christmas last month for 180,000 miles in J on AA metal. Plenty if good J bargains on One World partners as well.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's the same. If you've ever put a ticket on hold you get a PNR. Just like if you were to buy a ticket.

In many countries , offering a form of payment that will not be honoured is fraudulent and illegal
writerguyfl, Often1 and FAA1996 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ethang801
its a personal calculation and decision. i have been flying AA a lot less lately which contributed to the decision.

thats why i thought it was ironic, overall the timing of this. they quoted my actions from 2016-2019 which was the time that my flying had decreased. i was EXP from 2007-2017 then PLT in 2018 and GLD in 2019.

i only had a few upgrade stickers, 4k miles in my bank and with much less regular AA flying it was hard for me to justify $13k
I have to say your candor is notable and rare, if not even unique, as relates to posts related to AA account locks on FT so ^^ for owning your mistakes and not posting a bunch of BS here like so many others have done. Their ask of 13K is a rather princely sum given your mileage balance and only LT Gold and I can't fathom a scenario where paying that would make sense for the privilege of being an AAdvantage member. If you had a couple million miles in your account maybe, but for 4,000 miles and LT-Gold I think you very much made the logical choice. You could always join BA and use that on any AA flights you take, heck if you end up with BA status Silver gets you OWS and free AC, Gold OW Emerald and AC/Flagship access on any AA domestic flight so if you buy f/j domestically there's a reasonable argument to be made that you're better off with BA Gold than EXP!
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:43 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ethang801
correct. the settlement offer was to maintain my membership and account. the status, i presume, is just part of that membership.
Did they threaten to put you on their no-fly if you don't pay $13k?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Did they threaten to put you on their no-fly if you don't pay $13k?
I'd expect that AA will happily take his money for flights, he just cannot be a part of their FF program, even while his account was locked he wasn't prevented from flying just prevented from using the program.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryan182
I'd expect that AA will happily take his money for flights, he just cannot be a part of their FF program, even while his account was locked he wasn't prevented from flying just prevented from using the program.
But what is preventing the OP from continuing to do this? I am assuming a FF account isn't needed to do what they were doing.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
I believe the late charging thing is a policy matter
amazon does the same thing they dont charge your card until the item ships or is fulfilled
so you can get a confirmation email but may get a decline email later
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.