Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account Frozen/Audit - No Way to Respond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Frozen/Audit - No Way to Respond?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA100k
Yes it is worth it for people who fly a lot and hold high status with the airline. It’s not just about one’s current mileage inventory. My earning of 500,000 miles last year is likely to continue for the next decade so that’s mileage in the millions. Furthermore, the benefits of EXP or CK are worth it, not to mention the lifetime status. I’m closing in on 2MM and that’s a big lifetime benefit.
I get the closing in on 2MM, but other than that I'd rather just switch to DL. Or, since you're presumably flying a lot of international, switch to another OneWorld carrier (knowing you're giving up some benefits on AA metal).
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
For all the vitriol, AA's policy is pro consumer. While OP and a very few others may have been running a scam on AA, the vast majority of people in this situation have done so in error. For those people and given fluctuation in ticket pricing, the ability not to lose a price (even though it is not guaranteed until ticketed) is a big deal. On the flip side, for those who intentionally provide an expired card, although it will not likely be prosecuted, they are quite lucky to get off with an account termination or other internal penalty.
The most consumer friendly thing to do would be to immediately pop up a message saying that the credit card is invalid, and request that a new one be entered. Not to make is seem like everything is ok, and then never have the reservation be ticketed.

You generally want to inform of mistakes as early as possible -- that's when they require the least work to fix.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Actually, 63 tickets cancelled * $200 = $12,600, so I wonder if they were just trying to charge the OP change fees retroactively but make it sound like they were cutting him a deal.
I *think* change fees were up to $200 by 2016 when AA started counting.
That would be true if the tickets were refundable with a $200 penalty - for US domestic bookings, these would be non refundable with a $200 penalty to rebook. The customer committed to paying the entire amount of the ticket to the airline and agreeing to a penalty of $200 to make changes
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That would be true if the tickets were refundable with a $200 penalty - for US domestic bookings, these would be non refundable with a $200 penalty to rebook. The customer committed to paying the entire amount of the ticket to the airline and agreeing to a penalty of $200 to make changes
Note that international tickets tend to have higher change fees.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:31 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ryan182
I'd expect that AA will happily take his money for flights, he just cannot be a part of their FF program, even while his account was locked he wasn't prevented from flying just prevented from using the program.
So just join some non-AA oneworld FFP? Which?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There are many on this thread who have conflated money damages from a contractual obligation. The damages here may be close to nothing, but that does not change the fact that the passenger entered a contract to pay $x as consideration for a ticket and failed to pay that consideration. Thus, he owes $x.

While this is not a lawsuit, that is what a lawsuit would look like if AA really did sue for the fraud.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
So just join some non-AA oneworld FFP? Which?
If you buy J domestically, especially if you end up with connections, BAEC is probably a good bet you get AC at 600 TP and AC/FS at 1500TP.
percysmith likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
But what is preventing the OP from continuing to do this? I am assuming a FF account isn't needed to do what they were doing.
I'd suspect that if the OP were to do that, which I don't think they would as they seem sensible, that now that AA cannot go after his account they'd go after his wallet and sue for damages.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:37 pm

I'd suspect that if the OP were to do that, which I don't think they would as they seem sensible, that now that AA cannot go after his account they'd go after his wallet and sue for damages.
We already established AA cannot. They have no legal basis
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
We already established AA cannot. They have no legal basis
Not sure who we is, and I'm not a lawyer so perhaps you're correct, but knowingly using a payment card that is invalid seems a lot like writing a bad check to me, and to do so after being called out on it, admitting what you did was wrong would not look good at all in a case. I could see playing dumb before this thread and their letter but if someone did it again after all this with all thats been posted here...seems to me that they SHOULD have a basis. That said even if AA can't win I wouldn't test them, if they sue it costs them nothing and you have to pay for a lawyer so you lose even if you win.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
There are many on this thread who have conflated money damages from a contractual obligation. The damages here may be close to nothing, but that does not change the fact that the passenger entered a contract to pay $x as consideration for a ticket and failed to pay that consideration. Thus, he owes $x.

While this is not a lawsuit, that is what a lawsuit would look like if AA really did sue for the fraud.
You seem confused about some legal basics. I'd suggest reading this:

Remedies for Breach of Contract ? Judicial Education Center

TL;DR: Compensatory damages are limited by the amount required to make the claimant whole again.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:11 am

Not sure who we is, and I'm not a lawyer so perhaps you're correct, but knowingly using a payment card that is invalid seems a lot like writing a bad check to me, and to do so after being called out on it, admitting what you did was wrong would not look good at all in a case. I could see playing dumb before this thread and their letter but if someone did it again after all this with all thats been posted here...seems to me that they SHOULD have a basis. That said even if AA can't win I wouldn't test them, if they sue it costs them nothing and you have to pay for a lawyer so you lose even if you win.
Why do you think it costs AA nothing to take him to court?
And anyway, what did the OP gain? So paying with an invalid credit card the OP got what? A flight? Nope, no flight.
And what do you think happens to people who write bad checks? They get put in jail? Tell me about a corporation that has "gone after" someone for writing bad checks. I doubt there are any major corporations that have done that. If it is bad enough, the feds might go after them, but that is something else completely.

Oh yeah, fyi, I got a fake check before. I notified the police. They laughed, not big enough to be worth our time. It was $2k.

People like to say you can sue for this or that, the company will sue you, etc. Law isn't that simple here. And lawyers' time isn't free. I don't know where you got that idea.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that international tickets tend to have higher change fees.
I just looked it up cause I think this is outdated information. And the change fee for an international ticket (e.g. SFO HKG) is $250. So, I don't think it is more.
I do think the change fees for business class tickets seem to be higher (though I don't know how to classify saver tickets, cause I guess those have an infinite change fee?).
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why do you think it costs AA nothing to take him to court?
And anyway, what did the OP gain? So paying with an invalid credit card the OP got what? A flight? Nope, no flight.
And what do you think happens to people who write bad checks? They get put in jail? Tell me about a corporation that has "gone after" someone for writing bad checks. I doubt there are any major corporations that have done that. If it is bad enough, the feds might go after them, but that is something else completely.

Oh yeah, fyi, I got a fake check before. I notified the police. They laughed, not big enough to be worth our time. It was $2k.

People like to say you can sue for this or that, the company will sue you, etc. Law isn't that simple here. And lawyers' time isn't free. I don't know where you got that idea.
AA, like all companies, have lawyers on staff and outside council who they pay lots of $ to and for the most part consider fixed costs. While perhaps not $0.00 the financial impact to AA for filing a suit would be far less, if not de minimis, as compared to an individual who has to respond to that suit and obtain their own lawyer. I'm quite sure people have sued over bad checks, I know this because I too did so, albeit in small claims and the defendant was judgment proof so yeah I ended up getting nothing more than upset. I very much doubt the feds would go after someone the first go, if you did it again after admitting what you did was wrong...most likely you are right and they have bigger fish but why test it? I'm not saying that if he did it again AA would rain financial ruin up him via the courts, I was responding to a question about what they might do and to make a point - especially for a repeat offender, if I was AA I'd throw some budget a suit just to make a point.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:36 am

AA, like all companies, have lawyers on staff and outside council who they pay lots of $ to and for the most part consider fixed costs. While perhaps not $0.00 the financial impact to AA for filing a suit would be far less, if not de minimis, as compared to an individual who has to respond to that suit and obtain their own lawyer. I'm quite sure people have sued over bad checks, I know this because I too did so, albeit in small claims and the defendant was judgment proof so yeah I ended up getting nothing more than upset. I very much doubt the feds would go after someone the first go, if you did it again after admitting what you did was wrong...most likely you are right and they have bigger fish but why test it? I'm not saying that if he did it again AA would rain financial ruin up him via the courts, I was responding to a question about what they might do and to make a point - especially for a repeat offender, if I was AA I'd throw some budget a suit just to make a point.
Really? Are airlines in the habit of suing passengers?
I understand when Air Canada did it it made the news.
I don't think AA is run by people that stupid to realize that it isn't a task you take lightly, "suing" your customers. After all, this is America. Where the big corporation is always in the wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.