Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account Frozen/Audit - No Way to Respond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Frozen/Audit - No Way to Respond?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
I do appreciate your honesty, can I ask what you had to gain from doing your illegal actions? I can't fathom why anyone would do this?
it was basically an extended, free hold. so really the same benefits you get from being able to put a reservation on hold
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:26 am
Original Poster

got a response today!! it does follow what most here had assumed and predicted. they are willing to let me keep my membership if i reimburse a portion of what they calculate as the benefit i gained from my actions. otherwise, my membership will be terminated.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by ethang801
got a response today!! it does follow what most here had assumed and predicted. they are willing to let me keep my membership if i reimburse a portion of what they calculate as the benefit i gained from my actions. otherwise, my membership will be terminated.
How much were you asked to pay?
ijgordon and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What do they figure it was? Is that a correct number? If correct, are you prepared to pay it?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
What do they figure it was? Is that a correct number? If correct, are you prepared to pay it?
What are you going to do OP?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
OP hasn't responded yet, but wonder if a "pay us or go away" approach to whatever AA perceives damages to be will be the answer to cases like this...and maybe the CC churn related locks as well. Interesting. Follows the model of monetizing everything in the airline industry.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gmt4
OP hasn't responded yet, but wonder if a "pay us or go away" approach to whatever AA perceives damages to be will be the answer to cases like this...and maybe the CC churn related locks as well. Interesting. Follows the model of monetizing everything in the airline industry.
No, these kind of cases (inventory holding/spoilage) have always been treated in this way-- vs. how sales of miles/instruments and other cases are.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:28 am
Original Poster

they sent me a list of all the PNRs i booked that i did not pay for in the timeframe they selected.

they calculated a total of 63 tickets for a total of $32,782.11.

they made me an offer of $13k to keep my membership, miles and presumably LT status.

i have written back thanking them for the consideration and offer but letting them know that it is not a financial agreement i am willing to make.

i understand how and why they calculated the cost at what they did (in terms of the the $33k) but while that may represent to them the COST of my actions, it doesnt align with what i consider the benefit i gained. as an example, i bought three tickets for JFK-PHX for $400 each and then later ticketed one and flew that itinerary. to them, the cost of my actions are the two tickets that are unbooked (say $800) whereas to me, i got little benefit out of this instance and paid the $400 for the ticket i did fly.

again, not saying they are wrong in how they calculated it, its just a misalignment of the benefits received, the cost to them and the cost of the tickets.

for me, to pay $13k to keep 4k miles and LT gold status (almost LT platinum) just doesnt make sense. i'll miss flying AA when convenient but this is a risk i took each time i did this and now ive got to deal with the consequences.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
$13k to keep LT Gold? Uh, LOL.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by gmt4
$13k to keep LT Gold? Uh, LOL.
It is not $12K to keep the status. It is $13K to keep the account. Being terminated means no miles or other earnings going forward and thus no status next year, the year after and so on.

Still may not be worth $13K to the individual in question, but it works out to a penalty of roughly 40% of the tickets' value.
AA100k likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:30 am

they sent me a list of all the PNRs i booked that i did not pay for in the timeframe they selected.

they calculated a total of 63 tickets for a total of $32,782.11.

they made me an offer of $13k to keep my membership, miles and presumably LT status.

i have written back thanking them for the consideration and offer but letting them know that it is not a financial agreement i am willing to make.

i understand how and why they calculated the cost at what they did (in terms of the the $33k) but while that may represent to them the COST of my actions, it doesnt align with what i consider the benefit i gained. as an example, i bought three tickets for JFK-PHX for $400 each and then later ticketed one and flew that itinerary. to them, the cost of my actions are the two tickets that are unbooked (say $800) whereas to me, i got little benefit out of this instance and paid the $400 for the ticket i did fly.

again, not saying they are wrong in how they calculated it, its just a misalignment of the benefits received, the cost to them and the cost of the tickets.

for me, to pay $13k to keep 4k miles and LT gold status (almost LT platinum) just doesnt make sense. i'll miss flying AA when convenient but this is a risk i took each time i did this and now ive got to deal with the consequences.
In your example I still don't understand why you would bother booking three. Are you brokering the flights to friends?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
While you can't get AA status or miles again, nothing says you can't keep flying AA without status or crediting to another OW airline, if it is the best option for you.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA; Hilton
Thank you so much ethang801 for openly sharing the details of your case and your decision.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
In your example I still don't understand why you would bother booking three. Are you brokering the flights to friends?
Because he hasn't decided whether he wants to fly Thursday, Friday, or Saturday. Or February, March, or April. For example.

The $12k penalty seems somewhat arbitrary and not really related to AA's actual losses, but I suspect they're really not that interested in presenting an offer someone would want to take up.
Happy likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon

...but I suspect they're really not that interested in presenting an offer someone would want to take up.
Not sure I agree with this assumption. Personally, Id have a lot to lose if my account were closed. I would seriously consider it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.