Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account Frozen/Audit - No Way to Respond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Frozen/Audit - No Way to Respond?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:36 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Airlines taking individual passengers to court over airline pricing e.g. UA and LH skiplagged cases usually doesn't end well for airline. Airlines only win when they are prosecution judge and jury.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Really? Are airlines in the habit of suing passengers?
I understand when Air Canada did it it made the news.
I don't think AA is run by people that stupid to realize that it isn't a task you take lightly, "suing" your customers. After all, this is America. Where the big corporation is always in the wrong.
With what has been posted in this thread, even people who think big corporations are evil would have a hard time finding sympathy for the OP. Had they tried to go after him for the 32 or 13K they claimed he "cost" them; yeah that would be stupid and terrible PR. But this thread is public, his admissions are here for all to see, if he tried it again after all this I can't see how that's analogous to the LH skip leg example or how even the most die hard "big business sucks" twitter mod would conjure up sympathy. but \_(ツ)_/
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Someone clue me in (via PM if necessary)- does AA not put holds on CCs used to secure reservations? IOW, what's an "invalid card" mean in this situation?
I thought AA takes a pre authorization when you click submit and then takes the amount when it tickets like a hotel .So am invalid cars would come back as invalid and would not generate a PNR. If anything it would be on AA if they are taking invalid cards since 2016 and they may be violating the Credit Card issuer's terms.

I would call your Credit Card's Fraud Department and ask them to intervene. Vetisign may also need to intervene. You as the customer could argue you were booking in good faith and AA accepted the payment and reservation.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the OP had been putting tickets on hold rather than 'purchasing' , AA's assessment of amount owed might well have been different.

By purchasing and providing payment details, the committment was to purchasing the ticket, not paying to hold a fare
Holds are non binding and expire after 24 hours. Airlines hold Award reservations ins for up to 72 hours before ticketing when partner airlines are involved to verify Award Space and it expires if none is available.

A Hold is just that .
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
I thought AA takes a pre authorization when you click submit and then takes the amount when it tickets like a hotel .So am invalid cars would come back as invalid and would not generate a PNR. If anything it would be on AA if they are taking invalid cards since 2016 and they may be violating the Credit Card issuer's terms.

I would call your Credit Card's Fraud Department and ask them to intervene. Vetisign may also need to intervene. You as the customer could argue you were booking in good faith and AA accepted the payment and reservation.
Except he wasnt acting in good faith and AA never accepted the payment because the CC provided was invalid. He does not have a reservation until it is ticketed, but he did tie up inventory in the intervening period. I am not sure why so many seem to want to find a way to give the OP a pass.

On a related note, so many are spending time debating whether $13K makes sense or if worth it. Theres a concept in the business world known as firing a customer when they become a pain to deal with or otherwise unprofitable. I dont think AA really wants this customers money. Rather, they might want to get rid of him altogether and ensure he doesnt earn further benefits from the FFP. Coming up with an amount that he is unlikely to pay achieves that.

Ive had to fire many risky or difficult customers before. Sometimes it is easier to just jack up their fees to the point where they will take their business elsewhere. I just say we understand and happily part ways.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 2:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I just looked it up cause I think this is outdated information. And the change fee for an international ticket (e.g. SFO HKG) is $250. So, I don't think it is more.
I do think the change fees for business class tickets seem to be higher (though I don't know how to classify saver tickets, cause I guess those have an infinite change fee?).
Depending on the market and fare rules, often the change fees are higher than this for nonrefundable international business class tickets.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Holds are non binding and expire after 24 hours. Airlines hold Award reservations ins for up to 72 hours before ticketing when partner airlines are involved to verify Award Space and it expires if none is available.

A Hold is just that .
Except that the OP didn't place a booking on hold that would expire , the OP confirmed purchase of a ticket. Airlines can take holds for a long time - I have put things on hold for a long period - regardless that is irrelevant since that isn't what the person did
danielonn likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would be true if the tickets were refundable with a $200 penalty - for US domestic bookings, these would be non refundable with a $200 penalty to rebook. The customer committed to paying the entire amount of the ticket to the airline and agreeing to a penalty of $200 to make changes
No because he could have rolled over previous bookings he didnt want to make new bookings. $200 per changed booking. @:-)
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Except that the OP didn't place a booking on hold that would expire , the OP confirmed purchase of a ticket. Airlines can take holds for a long time - I have put things on hold for a long period - regardless that is irrelevant since that isn't what the person did
This.

Another good example of why analogies never work. The conduct here is not "like a hold." It plain and simple was not a hold.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

That isn't what happens if you book with an invalid card on AA. Did you not see what that one guy was doing. On many occasions he did this, and got more time to either provide a valid card, or simply canceled the booking after he chose not fly. This was in addition to the 24 hold time, and the 24 hours you have to get a refund. He knew how this worked, and knew he had been doing something wrong. Now it is up to him to decide if he wants to pay up, or never fly AA again.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
That isn't what happens if you book with an invalid card on AA. Did you not see what that one guy was doing. On many occasions he did this, and got more time to either provide a valid card, or simply canceled the booking after he chose not fly. This was in addition to the 24 hold time, and the 24 hours you have to get a refund. He knew how this worked, and knew he had been doing something wrong. Now it is up to him to decide if he wants to pay up, or never fly AA again.
Then AA and other airlines needs to fix this loophole. if I had a company we would plain out refuse to take an invalid credit card for fear of the person not paying us. Its very simple to decline a payment method and show a warning message stating that the Form Of Payment did not go through and to try again with a different Form of Payment. Now I can see paying an amount to keep the reservation on hold for a week and applying that to the ticket or losing that amount.

Yes the OP is doing something very shady and is knowingly using invalid credit cards.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by rumboj
Except he wasnt acting in good faith and AA never accepted the payment because the CC provided was invalid. He does not have a reservation until it is ticketed, but he did tie up inventory in the intervening period. I am not sure why so many seem to want to find a way to give the OP a pass.

On a related note, so many are spending time debating whether $13K makes sense or if worth it. Theres a concept in the business world known as firing a customer when they become a pain to deal with or otherwise unprofitable. I dont think AA really wants this customers money. Rather, they might want to get rid of him altogether and ensure he doesnt earn further benefits from the FFP. Coming up with an amount that he is unlikely to pay achieves that.

Ive had to fire many risky or difficult customers before. Sometimes it is easier to just jack up their fees to the point where they will take their business elsewhere. I just say we understand and happily part ways.
Inventory in my opinion should never be "tied up' for longer than the necessary amount of time. If a credit card cannot pre-authorize the amount for any reason then the inventory gets released right away. Sorry you can't pay for those shoes then you don't get them.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But we are talking about actual damages here. If AA were to sue OP, they would only be entitled to their actual damages. Since AA sells the ability to hold a fare for $9 per PNR (or whatever -- I actually don't know how these fees work) their damages are limited to that amount.

Again, OP was fraudulently obtaining a free holds on tickets, not free tickets. Holds have value, but they do not have value equal to the ticket. In this case, AA conveniently assigns a maximum value to the holds (since they sell them) so we do not need to go into any complex mathematics to determine their value.

But of course, AA is not suing here (because they know they would lose, for exactly the reasons above); they are simply setting a price for the OP to continue to do business with them. This means that they can set the price to be whatever they want (personally, I would not do business with someone who defrauded me for any amount of money). But the claim that AA suffered $33k (or whatever) in damages is laughable. AA's damages are under $1000 here (holds for 63 PNRs).
AA and other airlines or hotels etc. can do a "Fare Lock" and get rid of holds all together. So for the FareLocks that are nonrefundable or applied to a new Ticket AA would have Made $3, 150 on the OP's tickets at $50 a piece which is reasonable but not the absurd $33,000. To take it a step further if AA wanted to monopolize on Basic Econ Tickets ( perhaps including a $10 off Bag Check and $10 off Seat Assignments for selecting them at time of ticketing)those Fare Locks would be $100. If you are not sure about the flight you want pay a nonrefundable $50 and when you book it the $50 gets applied to your reservation. In the end you would essentially have a week to confirm a ticket. I would much rather lose $50 than lose a $1000 nonrefundable ticket per ticket. Yes its a small price to pay but this would avoid these free holds to tie up inventory. Look when I book a ticket I know what I want and what price I am willing to pay. If I had a doubt I would pay $50 to lock in the fare while consulting with other partners if a I am pretty sure but if I am not so sure I would just book when I am ready.

One other option is AA can limit the # of Free Holds per year then after this you are subjected to the $50 Fare Lock.

In theory AA would make money either way.$50 gets applied to the ticket or $50 is nonrefundable. You could still cancel the ticket 24 hours after purchase minus the $50 Fare Lock. This would deter Families or Businesses from holding onto tickets letting it expire holding it again etc. What Family would want to lose $200 due to this Fare Lock not being refundable? Fraudsters would be less inclined to hold release hold again. $50 is a reasonable stopgap measure to avoid Fraud. I would not do the Fare Lock if I knew I would lose out let alone let 4 others book and lose the $50 per ticket. I would do my $50 Fare Lock consult with traveling partners and let them book their own ticket or for family just book their own PNR. In reality they would be booked before the 7 day cutoff but its comforting to know that the fare is locked in for a week.

I did the Fare Lock on United and ended up saving $$$ because It allowed me to keep the Fare for 1 week and during the week the fare went up. It was worth the $50 to know that I had my Fare Locked in and if the fare went down less than $50 great but if I saw a fare for $100-$200 less I would let the Fare Lock Expire and book the lower fare. I was not fretting as this gave me time to consult with others traveling and I had them book in on their own PNR when I knew they could join If I lost the $50 I would take it as a savings as if I cancelled a nonrefundable ticket for $1000+ Change fees I would be out way more. During the Fare Lock I can book hotels, rental cars etc and then go back and pay for my ticket. I much prefer a 7 day hold than a 24 hour hold.

A 72 hour hold could be done for $25. Travel Agents including OTAs holding positive space could be subjected to Group Farelock to lock in Group Space and if they don't ticket all space they would be subjected to the nonrefundable Farelock on Tickets the airline can't resell.
See the United Farelock
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly.../farelock.html

To conclude AA could essentially ask for $3,150 from the OP for holding space on the 63 tickets that were not ticketed. Would they do it now? No but moving forward with a Fare Lock system this tactic may be thwarted.

Last edited by danielonn; Jan 11, 2020 at 2:43 pm
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:21 am

Inventory in my opinion should never be "tied up' for longer than the necessary amount of time. If a credit card cannot pre-authorize the amount for any reason then the inventory gets released right away. Sorry you can't pay for those shoes then you don't get them.
So if you pay for those shoes you should get them, I presume? How come sometimes you purchase a ticket and it doesn't actually "ticket", and then the airline refuses to honor your ticket and wants you to buy a full-fare walkup? It's not AA's fault/responsibility for not checking their credit card bills but it is the customer's?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
With what has been posted in this thread, even people who think big corporations are evil would have a hard time finding sympathy for the OP. Had they tried to go after him for the 32 or 13K they claimed he "cost" them; yeah that would be stupid and terrible PR. But this thread is public, his admissions are here for all to see, if he tried it again after all this I can't see how that's analogous to the LH skip leg example or how even the most die hard "big business sucks" twitter mod would conjure up sympathy. but \_(ツ)_/
I guess you haven't met people who think big corporations are evil. People in this thread do NOT think big corporations are evil. Try somewhere people actually think big corporations are evil-they would be applauding OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.