Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:38 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If that is the case, It also states Ticket Stock(s): 001 which is the code for tickets issued by/through AA

So a BA award ( as comparison ) wouldn't count since the ticket stock would be 125
But where in the policy does it state 001?

It's fallacy of induction:
My dog has four legs
My cat has four legs
Therefore my dog is a cat

AA's waiver requires 001
AA's waiver references AA IRROPs policy
Therefoere AA IRROPs policy only applies to 001

I missed the 001 precondition of the waiver, I admit. But I've been on the road all day (and all month it seems). Please forgive me for missing things.
JMBResona and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by percysmith

My dog has four legs
My cat has four legs

AA's waiver requires 001

I missed the 001 precondition of the waiver, I admit. But I've been on the road all day (and all month it seems). Please forgive me for missing things.
Based on my experiences (granted a small sample size), the 001 requirement is in the 'no's' I got from literally every avenue I pursued with AA.

"Mike's" experience would seem to indicate this as well, but, as others have pointed out, the convoluted nature of the routing and perhaps his instance on flying that route (if true), could have led to his difficulties.

AFAIK - No one has seen the full policy that goes with the box that says to treat as one ticket. Only the box. It could say anything above or below. The links so far have gone to irrelevant policies. The best we have so far is a tweet.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
The problem with saying it's BA or IB's problem is that in situations where I've had mixed tickets (even on one PNR) involving only a few segments on AA, once I've only got AA operated segments remaining on my ticket, BA and IB (at least, my experience in these situations is only with them), usually take the attitude that it's AA's problem, since all remaining segments are AA operated at that point (I don't say that this is the correct interpretation, only the position they take).
This.

Granted, this was before the merger when pmUS was in *A, but this has been my experience as well. Had IROPS happen with the crew failing to show up for what was BWI-CLT-SAN. Was a Chairman at the time, so we got forced on to two flights - BWI-CLT and CLT-LAX. Only problem was they didn't rebook us to SAN. Got to LAX and the Club put us on UA to SAN. Needless to say, our luggage got lost in the mix so it US deemed it UA's problem to clean up the mess.

On a trip few weeks later, we were supposed to do VIE-ORD-PHL-BWI, with VIE-ORD on OS and the rest on US. We rechecked our bags in ORD at customs, but half of them got lost. It became US's problem to get the bags to us even though they technically weren't involved yet.

Then again, I also had LH unwilling to accommodate me in a reasonable manner on two *A tickets (diverted flight due to midair mechanical), even though LH was the next hop as well. Being a 1K at the time didn't help either.

I don't understand the purpose of having an alliance if they don't protect each other in case of mistakes and IROPS, or be more willing to go the extra mile for an alliance elite. Yes, it supposedly makes ticketing easier for long journeys involving multiple carriers, but the finger pointing seems to come out when things go pear shaped with agents hiding behind obscure policies. Is it really that hard to fix something they screw up in a manner that's acceptable to the customer?
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:35 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by JMBResona
I wonder how much of a hassle it is to make changes on a non-AA stock ticket. If it's a significant PITA, I could definitely see agents deciding to refuse outright to save time.
Considering they are hourly-paid employees, why should/does that matter?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Superguy
This.

Granted, this was before the merger when pmUS was in *A, but this has been my experience as well. Had IROPS happen with the crew failing to show up for what was BWI-CLT-SAN. Was a Chairman at the time, so we got forced on to two flights - BWI-CLT and CLT-LAX. Only problem was they didn't rebook us to SAN. Got to LAX and the Club put us on UA to SAN. Needless to say, our luggage got lost in the mix so it US deemed it UA's problem to clean up the mess.

On a trip few weeks later, we were supposed to do VIE-ORD-PHL-BWI, with VIE-ORD on OS and the rest on US. We rechecked our bags in ORD at customs, but half of them got lost. It became US's problem to get the bags to us even though they technically weren't involved yet.

Then again, I also had LH unwilling to accommodate me in a reasonable manner on two *A tickets (diverted flight due to midair mechanical), even though LH was the next hop as well. Being a 1K at the time didn't help either.

I don't understand the purpose of having an alliance if they don't protect each other in case of mistakes and IROPS, or be more willing to go the extra mile for an alliance elite. Yes, it supposedly makes ticketing easier for long journeys involving multiple carriers, but the finger pointing seems to come out when things go pear shaped with agents hiding behind obscure policies. Is it really that hard to fix something they screw up in a manner that's acceptable to the customer?
They do provide protection when it is part of a single ticketed itinerary - if you want to purchase an A-B journey and separately a journey from B-C, why would there be an expectation of an airline to treat it as A-C? Book A-C and problem disappears
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:45 pm

Just a limited data point, during a WX, CX call centre took my Avios-issued KIX-HKG (which was cancelled, a typhoon was coming in) and turned it into a redeye HND-HKG. I had to make my own way to HND (easy, more Avios on JL domestic).
On arrival, CX turned it from an redeye HND-HKG into an afternoon HND-HKG, since I was able to show the HND ticketing supervisor they still had 4 seats in my Premium Economy cabin for sale.
FTers in HK was advising me throughout - said I had a lot of flexibility since I have an IRROPed ticket - even one where CX was not at fault.

The only thing I wanted to point out for this thread is that CX has no problems taking control of a BA 125- ticket under airport control.
All Mike's sectors to Dubrovnik should've been under airport control.

It helps in my case both CX and BA both use Amadeus of course.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 4, 2019 at 3:51 pm
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:47 pm

My dog has four legs
My cat has four legs

AA's waiver requires 001

You have to buy a ticket from or through AA in order to enter into a contract with AA
When making a purchase from AA on the review page there is a link to its conditions
When making a purchase from BA, you are entering into a contract with BA and its conditions apply

If the person had purchased 1st ticket from AA and the 2nd ticket from IB, then would expect the policy to apply - nothing was purchased from AA, so how can policies referring to changes to AA tickets be expected to apply.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:53 pm

AA's CoC
BA is AA's agent unless airport control
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post31451256
You missed this. Unless I and a bunch of other FTers were wrong about which CoC applied in the previous cancellation cases.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:08 pm

I cannot see how a document that is issued for travel agents to know AA's policies for changing AA tickets can ever be applicable to BA tickets or IB tickets

Since there was no ticket that was issued such that any reference to this policy applies, then I cannot see how AA was at all wrong

As far as disruption on the day for the AA journey paid for by Avios, there is nothing at all to suggest that AA would not meet its obligations to get the person to Honolulu in the event of a disruption

I am not aware of it being written anywhere else other than in the guide for changing AA tickets of a policy to protect the travel
nerdbirdsjc likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:12 pm

I cannot see how a document that is issued for travel agents to know AA's policies for changing AA tickets can ever be applicable to BA tickets or IB tickets
Because BA was acting as AA's agent, under AA's CoC when issuing the ticket for that segment.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines

Because BA was acting as AA's agent, under AA's CoC when issuing the ticket for that segment.
Where in AA's CoC is the protection across separate OW tickets guarantee stated? To your point, the CoC is the legally binding document for airlines, and AA's non-inclusion of the policy within the CoC means the airline does not intend to mandate an obligation to protect upon itself, nor establish a reliance for that protection with its customers.

Don't get me wrong -- it's great whenever AA offers IROPS protection across separate tickets of OW carriers, but it's a discretionary act, not an entitlement.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:32 pm

there is nothing in the COC that provides that AA will protect across separate bookings - the only reference is in the agency guide for changing of AA tickets
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Where in AA's CoC is the protection across separate OW tickets guarantee stated? To your point, the CoC is the legally binding document for airlines, and AA's non-inclusion of the policy within the CoC means the airline does not intend to mandate an obligation to protect upon itself, nor establish a reliance for that protection with its customers..
Not in the CoC - my arguments above only serve to rebut Dave's insistence that you to be under AA's CoC to be eligible for separate ticket protection.

If you flip further back, my argument is that the separate ticket protection policy applies to all passengers on AA operated flights that have been disrupted.

Although what that policy says is in question - does the current policy really cover AA-OW or even AA-AA misconnections on two tickets?
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 4, 2019 at 5:43 pm
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:46 pm

Not in the CoC - my arguments above only serve to rebut Dave's insistence that you to be under AA's CoC to be eligible for separate ticket protection.

If you flip further back, my argument is that the separate ticket protection policy applies to all passengers on AA operated flights that have been disrupted.

Although what that policy says is in question - does the current policy really cover AA-OW or even AA-AA misconnections on two tickets?
I didn't make that insistence - my point has been that the reference is ONLY in the guide to agents which relates to policy for changing AA tickets - Also that NEITHER ticket in question was an AA ticket and so how can such a ticketing policy be applicable

Neither BA nor AA's CoC provide such protection
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:00 pm

my point has been that the reference is ONLY in the guide to agents which relates to policy for changing AA tickets
OK fine. This reference https://pdfslide.net/documents/hurri...hurricane.html says https://www.aasaleslink.com/en-US/do...ty_(IROPS).pdf applies to BA 125 too. Sorry I used a bad reference previously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.