Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PRO, BA S

https://onemileatatime.com/american-ruined-my-trip/

anyone see see this story from OMAAT? Seems Mike was in the right here according to AA policy but they refused to honor separate oneworld ticket protections in a way that wouldn’t result in him missing his return ticket as well.

what should he have done in this situation? You escalate this 4x and are told no protections when you’re clearly protected, what then? Can’t charge back on the credit card for the Iberia long haul itinerary since it’s AA’s fault, they refuse to provide a refund. What then? Lawsuit? Should he have taken the offered flight that would cause him to miss his return then deal with getting home once there?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by perkerkeem
https://onemileatatime.com/american-ruined-my-trip/

anyone see see this story from OMAAT? Seems Mike was in the right here according to AA policy but they refused to honor separate oneworld ticket protections in a way that wouldn’t result in him missing his return ticket as well.

what should he have done in this situation? You escalate this 4x and are told no protections when you’re clearly protected, what then? Can’t charge back on the credit card for the Iberia long haul itinerary since it’s AA’s fault, they refuse to provide a refund. What then? Lawsuit? Should he have taken the offered flight that would cause him to miss his return then deal with getting home once there?
Wow, that is just crazy. Am I surprised in the least? Not one bit. I can't tell how many times I've had to call AA and dealt with completely clueless agents of all sorts. I'm not at all shocked that AA didn't follow their own policy in this situation.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Wow, that is just crazy. Am I surprised in the least? Not one bit. I can't tell how many times I've had to call AA and dealt with completely clueless agents of all sorts. I'm not at all shocked that AA didn't follow their own policy in this situation.
I'm not 100% sure that AA violated their policy here. Does it matter that neither ticket was issued on AA stock? (I honestly don't know.) And AA ultimately did offer to get the passenger to DBV. The fact that the passenger would have gotten to DBV too late to catch his return flight might not matter: the passenger did not have a connection in DBV; rather, DBV was his point of turnaround.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Sep 2, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
I'm not 100% sure that AA violated there policy here. Does it matter that neither ticket was issued on AA stock? (I honestly don't know.) And AA ultimately did offer to get the passenger to DBV. The fact that the passenger would have gotten to DBV too late to catch his return flight might not matter: the passenger did not have a connection in DBV; rather, DBV was his point of turnaround.
Jonnyc posted that AA should have protected regardless of ticket stock because both tickets were AA/oneworld.
wrp96 and enpremiere like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
There is no current written policy that protects in separate PNRs, only if in same PNR. There once was, but it changed earlier this year (or late last).
deeruck likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachfan
There is no current written policy that protects in separate PNRs, only if in same PNR. There once was, but it changed earlier this year (or late last).
That was for checked bags.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Nope:
SK, HKG_Flyer1, percysmith and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thank you Jon. How do we point it out to someone (with AA) so they can find it. Is there a specific site or manual?

And if I understand your tweet, there has been language added re change in connecting city not allowed?
enpremiere likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Thank you Jon. How do we point it out to someone (with AA) so they can find it. Is there a specific site or manual?

And if I understand your tweet, there has been language added re change in connecting city not allowed?
Well, the second part, I -think- that was added a pretty good time ago (presumably (but really speculation on my part) around the time they removed it from public-facing page(s)) Not sure when that condition was added exactly.

The first question, I actually have to ask what section of their webref that's in for direction-to-agent purposes.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Both IB and the fact that these were avios tickets are red herrings.

Day of travel made this AA's issue and the method of payment does not change anything. Once it was AA's problem, it was AA's policies.
wrp96 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The confusing thing to me is what AA is supposed to do with the "same connecting point" language. It would seem to be within policy not to route the passenger PHX-PHL-DBV, for example, or PHX-LHR-DBV, because the original itinerary, taken together, is PHX-HNL-etc...Are they supposed to re-route the passenger from the origin of the first ticket as directly as possible to the connecting point on the second ticket? Or treat the origin of the second ticket as the connecting point?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:15 pm
Suspended

who says you cant learn something new any more

I would have thought that all AA was responsible for was to get the OP to HNL since that was the final destination of their tkt, and even if the OP had a 2nd tkt on AA out of HNL that since it was a different tkt then the one that ran into the problem that AA was under no obligations to say simply put the OP on an AA flight from PHX instead. Yet go figure AA would have to take care of the OP as long as the next tkt was also a OW flight

I would understand AA was responsible had it all been on 1 tkt but not if more then 1

Good info to know
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Well, the second part, I -think- that was added a pretty good time ago (presumably (but really speculation on my part) around the time they removed it from public-facing page(s)) Not sure when that condition was added exactly.

The first question, I actually have to ask what section of their webref that's in for direction-to-agent purposes.
Does the no change in connecting point policy apply on AA-AA misconnects, or only on AA-oneworld misconnects? Presumably, the traveler was booked on an AA flight into and out of HNL, although if the ex-HNL flight were IB coded even though AA operated, would that make a difference?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DMPHL
..Or treat the origin of the second ticket as the connecting point?
that.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Does the no change in connecting point policy apply on AA-AA misconnects, or only on AA-oneworld misconnects?
Doesn't apply to AA <-> AA
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
that.

Doesn't apply to AA <-> AA
How about AA operated/AA marketed to AA operated/IB marketed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.