Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold
Several years ago I misconnected in MAD on an AA / IB separate ticket scenario due to AA mechanical. AA in MAD would not rebook my onward IB flight and of course IB wouldn’t either. Ultimately I ended up buying new onward tickets at cost of €1000.

After my return, despite assistance at the time from JonNYC and Gary, no one at AA would rectify the problem. All I requested were AA vouchers in the amount of the replacement tickets I purchased, but I was refused by EXP desk, Twitter team, AAdvantage CS, and finally the Exec Office. Regarding the SalesLink doc, Exec Office was adamant that it was an internal and private document which I had no right to access despite being on a public website. I was all but accused of stealing it.

So this is not just a matter of agent error alone; there is inconsistency all the way through the org. It’s my openion that once one party or department documents a response, it’s highly unlikely to get it overturned. Needless to say this left a bad taste in my mouth after 3MM, but AA all the way to the didn’t budge and truly didn’t care.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
And going full circle here, and perhaps a bit off topic, but the reason Mike got into this mess initially was because of yet another AA Mechanical delay. I’ve had two domestic flights and one international flight cancelled this summer due to mechanicals and I haven’t heard anything about whether management and the union are resuming talks or if there are any plans to do so. Any updates beyond the injunction news?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:08 pm

Adding to others...
AA, in my experience, has never followed this policy. Every time I have misconnected on two tickets, starting with AA on the first ticket, connecting to OW on the second ticket, it was 100% on me. Not a single AA agent has ever even tried to help, even when citing this policy. AA agents always said it had to be on the same ticket or same PNR for them to do anything.

The latest for me was in June... ticket one AA MIA-JFK, ticket two CX JFK-HKG. Storms pushed our departure back 4 hours causing a misconnect.
FL said no help, except rebook my ticket to JFK at no charge.
AA EP line said no help, except rebook my ticket to JFK at no charge.
AA desk said no help, except rebook my ticket to JFK at no charge.

None would even call CX to see if they would move my flight. "Can't do it on separate tickets on separate PNR's."

1. It would be great to see this full policy. i.e. Does it only apply when the separate tickets are both purchased on AA stock?
2. If it is really AA policy to get you to the final destination, how is it that it seems every agent - or the vast majority of agents - are completely unaware of it?
3. How does AA/we education AA agents on this policy? Is there a reference point? (e.g. look in the system at section A, subsection 2, paragraph 4)
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Global321
Adding to others...
AA, in my experience, has never followed this policy. Every time I have misconnected on two tickets, starting with AA on the first ticket, connecting to OW on the second ticket, it was 100% on me. Not a single AA agent has ever even tried to help, even when citing this policy. AA agents always said it had to be on the same ticket or same PNR for them to do anything.

The latest for me was in June... ticket one AA MIA-JFK, ticket two CX JFK-HKG. Storms pushed our departure back 4 hours causing a misconnect.

None would even call CX to see if they would move my flight. "Can't do it on separate tickets on separate PNR's."

1. It would be great to see this full policy. i.e. Does it only apply when the separate tickets are both purchased on AA stock?
2. If it is really AA policy to get you to the final destination, how is it that it seems every agent - or the vast majority of agents - are completely unaware of it?
3. How does AA/we education AA agents on this policy? Is there a reference point? (e.g. look in the system at section A, subsection 2, paragraph 4)
This would be a much better situation to write about. What happened when you got to JFK?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Adding to others...

Mike, the author of the One Mile At A Time post that was the basis for this thread, has indicated that he is going to seek clarification from AA on their separate-ticket re-accommodation policy.

I have seen numerous posts on FT from passengers who were protected by this policy, but I'm not sure that I've seen any since the "same PNR" language appeared. (My guess is that the "same PNR" language is a typo, but perhaps Mike will get clarification of that too.)
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Mike, the author of the One Mile At A Time post that was the basis for this thread, has indicated that he is going to seek clarification from AA on their separate-ticket re-accommodation policy.

I have seen numerous posts on FT from passengers who were protected by this policy, but I'm not sure that I've seen any since the "same PNR" language appeared. (My guess is that the "same PNR" language is a typo, but perhaps Mike will get clarification of that too.)
AA has tightened several policies of the last few years, so it would not be surprising if this was also tightened up. (Perhaps the same time baggage was tightened up?)

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
This would be a much better situation to write about. What happened when you got to JFK?
I called CX from the FL. CX said it was not their problem, therefore I had to wait several days to find a flight that had space in my fare class (or pay a huge difference in airfare) - and pay the change fee! As mentioned, AA was of no help.

And the kicker... I had to book a new ticket with AA because the first available CX flight was beyond the 2 or 3 days they were willing to rebook me. (I was told I could get a full refund and not have to pay the change fee, but still fighting that!)
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Question: In the more recent example, how could AA rebook a PNR/ticket wholly in CX's system? Can AA even see that PNR to do anything with it? I'm not clear why anyone would do this only to save some $, given the stress involved if something goes wrong with weather, mechanical, diversion, etc.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Question: In the more recent example, how could AA rebook a PNR/ticket wholly in CX's system? Can AA even see that PNR to do anything with it? I'm not clear why anyone would do this only to save some $, given the stress involved if something goes wrong with weather, mechanical, diversion, etc.
AA can take over a oneworld carrier's ticket eligible under oneworld's "endorsement waiver program." That's one of the requirements of AA's separate-ticket re-accommodation policy.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
AA can take over a oneworld carrier's ticket eligible under oneworld's "endorsement waiver program." That's one of the requirements of AA's separate-ticket re-accommodation policy.
Another ticket I understand if there is an AA PNR involved. However, if the PNR has no AA-operated flights, does the IT really exist for AA to retrieve any PNR in any other oneworld carrier's reservation system and make changes to it? I'm surprised this level of technology exists when we can't even get basic IT functions to work consistently.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:37 pm

Depending on your hub and destination, the savings can be $5k or more. That is one heck of an incentive.
C17PSGR and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:39 pm

Depending on your hub and destination, the savings can be $5k or more. That is one heck of an incentive.
I still wouldn't do it unless I left 12-24+ hours in leeway between PNRs.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another ticket I understand if there is an AA PNR involved. However, if the PNR has no AA-operated flights, does the IT really exist for AA to retrieve any PNR in any other oneworld carrier's reservation system and make changes to it? I'm surprised this level of technology exists when we can't even get basic IT functions to work consistently.
The "same PNR" language (which I believe to be a typo) is a recent addition; AA was certainly able to take over such tickets in the past. (Might require a call to CX's oneworld liaison; I'm not sure.)
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming that there is no "same PNR" requirement, as long as AA agents correctly apply the re-accommodation policy, the amount of stress involved should be no different than if all flights were on a single ticket. Would you require 12-24 hours between flights on a single ticket?

The problem is that there is needless ambiguity in the way the policy is worded, and too many AA employees either don't know about it, or don't understand it.
Global321 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:48 pm

To each his/her own. It all comes down to our risk tolerance.

The "same PNR" language (which I believe to be a typo) is a recent addition; AA was certainly able to take over such tickets in the past. (Might require a call to CX's oneworld liaison; I'm not sure.)
If it is a typo, or not, it would be great to get a firm conformation of the policy / link to the policy / reference. Not doubting anyone here, but just saying it is policy or showing an agent a screenshot of a table will not get us very far when confronting a disbelieving agent.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To each his/her own. It all comes down to our risk tolerance.

If it is a typo, or not, it would be great to get a firm conformation of the policy / link to the policy / reference. Not doubting anyone here, but just saying it is policy or showing an agent a screenshot of a table will not get us very far when confronting a disbelieving agent.
+1.

And Mike at OMAAT is attempting to do exactly that. Stay tuned.
Global321 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.