Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:36 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
The PDF we're looking at has a gap. It covers AA to/from oneworld on same PNR and AA to/from non-oneworld on same or different PNR. It does not cover (unless I'm missing it) AA to/from oneworld on different PNR.
Originally Posted by percysmith
Good point. Now I'm confused as heck.

Since there's nothing in the new text that covers Mike's case, but the old text does, and there is no explicit notification that the old text is withdrawn or replaced by the new text, assume the old text is still valid for Mike's particular case?
@JonNYC's referenced policy is here https://web.archive.org/web/20181011...king_Index.pdf:

No longer appears https://saleslink.aa.com/en-US/docum...king_Index.pdf

Replaced by "oneworld Reaccommodations – Separate Tickets" in https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
The main problem with the sales link PDF is that it only refers to separate tickets under the same PNR. It is possible to have multiple tickets under the same PNR, this is especially common with trips built by travel agencies. The PDF is only a guide to travel agents on what they can and cannot do to already purchased tickets in the case of travel waivers or schedule changes. Also, a note at the top reads that Travel professionals may rebook up to 2 hours prior to the departure time, so it seems after that this document may not apply.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by freeagent
The main problem with the sales link PDF is that it only refers to separate tickets under the same PNR. It is possible to have multiple tickets under the same PNR, this is especially common with trips built by travel agencies. The PDF is only a guide to travel agents on what they can and cannot do to already purchased tickets in the case of travel waivers or schedule changes. Also, a note at the top reads that Travel professionals may rebook up to 2 hours prior to the departure time, so it seems after that this document may not apply.
The February 2019 version, linked upthread, makes no mention of the same PNR in the header.

I suppose that the real solution is for this OP or some other passenger not accommodated as they believe the policy reads to file a DOT complaint. That may yield some clarity as AA would be called upon to explain the policy. The downside of doing that is that people might not like the answer orf AA might well just drop the whole thing as it is an outlier in any event.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by freeagent
Yes I agree. Seems like the protection has been withdrawn.

Good point. Now I'm confused as heck.

Since there's nothing in the new text that covers Mike's case, but the old text does, and there is no explicit notification that the old text is withdrawn or replaced by the new text, assume the old text is still valid for Mike's particular case?
Now that I can see how the policy has been originally stated, deleted and included somewhere else, I am less confident in arguing the old text is still valid for Mike's particular case.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 4, 2019 at 7:24 pm
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Considering they are hourly-paid employees, why should/does that matter?
Average Handle Time (AHT) is an extremely common call center metric.

Not a great metric, but one that's commonly used and agents with out-of-whack numbers get attention.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
thank you percysmith for the forensic archaeology!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Curious ... setting aside Mike's poorly planned itinerary ... has anyone successfully used the policy?

Not sure mine counts but AA has gotten me to my destination when I've had a couple of different tickets/PNR's as misconnected but all the flights were on AA metal.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I'm thoroughly confused at this point. Has anyone heard from AA on what the official policy is?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

OK fine. This reference https://pdfslide.net/documents/hurri...hurricane.html says https://www.aasaleslink.com/en-US/do...ty_(IROPS).pdf applies to BA 125 too. Sorry I used a bad reference previously.
You are referrin gto an archived document , not a current document I believe based on link being "documents/Archives"
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are referrin gto an archived document , not a current document I believe based on link being "documents/Archives"
I'm now taking the position even two 001s on two PNRs do not get protected. I'm past arguing about whether the policy applies to non-001s (e.g. 125s)
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm now taking the position even two 001s on two PNRs do not get protected. I'm past arguing about whether the policy applies to non-001s (e.g. 125s)
ahh - I see
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
All Mike's sectors to Dubrovnik should've been under airport control.
But he was at the wrong airport. We don't know what AA would have done had he showed up at HNL after the flight had departed and explained that he missed the flight due to AA's fault.
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:41 am

Based on percysmith'sresearch it seems pretty clear that AA previously had protections for separate tickets with separate PNR and that the protection was clearly (and intentionally) removed in the latest documents. (aka separate tickets/pnr = you are on your own)

Anyone see it differently?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
Based on percysmith'sresearch it seems pretty clear that AA previously had protections for separate tickets with separate PNR and that the protection was clearly (and intentionally) removed in the latest documents. (aka separate tickets/pnr = you are on your own)

Anyone see it differently?
Not so clear. See the "This is current" screenshot posted by JonNYC in Post #7 .
JonNYC likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:55 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by guv1976
Not so clear. See the "This is current" screenshot posted by JonNYC in Post #7 .
Checked the policy again-- still there. Agents can and do apply it, but, as we've seen (and certainly nothing to do with the blogger's VERY challenging example/itinerary)-- very, very, very unevenly, very unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.