Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
. But I am baffled by the amateurish mistake of actually waiting for AA to cancel the flight (after an endless series of rolling 20-minute delays) before trying to get rebooked.
Because he is holding on to the hope that the flight will eventually go, which will be way easier. He may also had checked luggage, which would tie him down.

This is human nature...It doesn't make sense to abort a paid flight and risk a new one with connections and paying out of pocket, until the first flight is cancelled or other options are exhausted...Monday morning quarterbacking is easy...

Last edited by nk15; Sep 3, 2019 at 8:46 pm
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:38 pm

This is an internal AA policy, right? We can not find it on any web page, right? If so, AA can't be held liable. A lot of internal policies are just guidelines and are only between employer and employees. Since it's never publicly promised, it's really just a goodwill policy.
nerdbirdsjc likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by fttc
This is an internal AA policy, right? We can not find it on any web page, right? If so, AA can't be held liable. A lot of internal policies are just guidelines and are only between employer and employees. Since it's never publicly promised, it's really just a goodwill policy.

Listed in https://trip.flightstats.com/WD/194. Are documents given to Travel Agents considered internal?

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 3, 2019 at 9:01 pm
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nk15
Because he is holding on to the hope that the flight will eventually go, which will be way easier. He may also had checked luggage, which would tie him down.

This is human nature...It doesn't make sense to abort a paid flight and risk a new one with connections and paying out of pocket, until the first flight is cancelled or other options are exhausted...Monday morning quarterbacking is easy...
It might be human nature, but I would contend that when it comes to dealing with AA, waiting for a flight to be cancelled in the face of a rolling delay, when you need to be somewhere at a certain time, is an amateurish mistake....This entire thread is Monday-morning quarterbacking.

Very recently, I had a simple roundtrip on AA—two segments on the outbound, two segments on the return. All four flights had IRROPs, three with rolling delays. Maybe I'm just a weird human, but I was on the phone and speaking with gate agents trying to get as much information as possible as soon as there was a whiff of a delay and ended up rerouting. I got to my destination—and home—within a few hours of when I was supposed to and kept my first class seats on three of the four flights. And the icing on the cake? I received a refund that posted automatically to my credit card a few days later—I'm guessing one reroute actually ended up with a lower fare for some reason.

Yes, I'm speaking with the benefit of hindsight in this situation, but I think I've had enough experience with AA to have at least some idea of what I'm talking about.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Very recently, I had a simple roundtrip on AA—two segments on the outbound, two segments on the return. All four flights had IRROPs, three with rolling delays. Maybe I'm just a weird human, but I was on the phone and speaking with gate agents trying to get as much information as possible as soon as there was a whiff of a delay and ended up rerouting. I got to my destination—and home—within a few hours of when I was supposed to and kept my first class seats on three of the four flights. And the icing on the cake? I received a refund that posted automatically to my credit card a few days later—I'm guessing one reroute actually ended up with a lower fare for some reason.
One PNR?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by percysmith
One PNR?
Yes, my recent example was one PNR.

My point is that the whole protection-across-separate-PNRs (booked with two different partners) would have been a non-issue if Mike had been more proactive about getting rerouted to HNL (which appears to have been possible, assuming the flights were not sold out). AA should have been able to reroute the PHX-HNL ticket at that point, even though it was BA award ticket.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS

Listed in https://trip.flightstats.com/WD/194. Are documents given to Travel Agents considered internal?
This looks like a standard travel waiver for a specific event, not a guideline to policy.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even if it was a relevant event - it wouldn't be relevant to this since neither ticket would have met the criterion "Issuing Airline Code: AA " - in this instance, one ticket was issued by AA and the other by IB

AA's ticketing policies only apply to AA tickets
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Another ticket I understand if there is an AA PNR involved. However, if the PNR has no AA-operated flights, does the IT really exist for AA to retrieve any PNR in any other oneworld carrier's reservation system and make changes to it? I'm surprised this level of technology exists when we can't even get basic IT functions to work consistently.
No such IT exists for an AA agent to retrieve a PNR that exists in Amadeus and re-issue a ticket. That would involve calling the other airline and getting their agents to do it. AA can take over another airline's ticket (coupon) for reissue when AA's own flight is involved (for which a Sabre PNR would exist of course).

Reading through various responses, it looks like had the passenger continued to HNL he would have likely been re-booked after having been disrupted in HNL Even if the first flight was booked under IB code there would still be an operational PNR in Sabre with the AA prime flight to give the agent something to work with.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by freeagent
This looks like a standard travel waiver for a specific event, not a guideline to policy.
"See Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) policy at: https://www.aasaleslink.com/en-US/do...ty_(IROPS).pdf"
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Even if it was a relevant event - it wouldn't be relevant to this since neither ticket would have met the criterion "Issuing Airline Code: AA " - in this instance, one ticket was issued by AA and the other by IB

AA's ticketing policies only apply to AA tickets
"Airline Relationship: Booked on AA, Operated by AA
Airline Relationship: Booked on AA, Operated by JL or AY or IB or BA"

If they meant what you meant, they should've said ticketed on 001 https://www.americanairlines.co.uk/c...rity-IROPS.pdf

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 4, 2019 at 3:04 am
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:05 am

"Airline Relationship: Booked on AA, Operated by AA
Airline Relationship: Booked on AA, Operated by JL or AY or IB or BA"

If they meant what you meant, they should've said ticketed on 001
The very 1st line of the picture at https://trip.flightstats.com/WD/194 states
Issuing Airline Code: AA

You dont get anywhere on it if the ticket isnt on AA stock

As far as AA's policies for agents that have issued tickets, the agent would not be applying AA's policies when not sold though AA - a BA award ticket is issued under BA's CoC
Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:54 am

The very 1st line of the picture at https://trip.flightstats.com/WD/194 states
Issuing Airline Code: AA
I read that as the airline which issued the waiver
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:49 am

I read that as the airline which issued the waiver
If that is the case, It also states Ticket Stock(s): 001 which is the code for tickets issued by/through AA

So a BA award ( as comparison ) wouldn't count since the ticket stock would be 125
Old Sep 4, 2019, 6:22 am

As far as AA's policies for agents that have issued tickets, the agent would not be applying AA's policies when not sold though AA - a BA award ticket is issued under BA's CoC
AA's CoC
BA is AA's agent unless airport control
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post31451256

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.