Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA ignores oneworld protection when mech causes delay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:45 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by nk15
I am confused, two separate tickets and one PNR, I have never seen anything like this in real life.
Certainly you can. I find whenever I exceed three segments on CX’s Amadeus, I get two ticket numbers (e.g 160-1122334455 and 160-1122334456) despite having one PNR (and being protected throughout)

Most people except us won't even know they have two tickets - they would assume they had one.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 3, 2019 at 1:49 pm
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
In case you missed it...He thought he would request and get EXP from the IB ticket he did not fly...But at least he got a good blog post out of this...
fttc likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
1) The policy in this link does not protect separate tickets on separate PNRs (which is the situation from the OMAAT post)
​​​​​​
That is incorrect, at least according to the second screenshot in Post #7 .
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by guv1976
​​​​​​
That is incorrect, at least according to the second screenshot in Post #7 .
If the screenshot in Post 7 is accurate, then you are right. However

1) We don't know when the screenshot was taken or whether it truly supercedes the PDF link. Maybe both policies are floating around AA (wouldn't be the first time contradictory policies were seemingly in force). I obviously trust JonNYC's sources but no one can really find a live policy on any kind of customer facing website. A customer intending to use this policy can't really rely upon a Twitter screenshot

2) Even the policy in Post 7 seems to be limited - AA would have to accommodate the passenger through the original "connecting point." In the OMAAT case, the "connecting point" would seem to be HNL; AA being forced to connect that passenger in IROPs from PHX to HNL to DBV really does no one any favors
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
... and what good would CC insurance have made (the issue was a misconnect to a separate ticket; CC insurance wouldn't cover such a "flat tire" situation)?
Insurance should have covered any pre-booked stuff at DBV, which he said he had losses from. It may have also covered the IB ticket, because this was beyond his control, at least he could have tried.

OMAAT should cover the losses for their bloggers when they miss their flights...and have a cool story to tell. They should probably get annual insurance for travel issues individually.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
If the screenshot in Post 7 is accurate, then you are right. However

1) We don't know when the screenshot was taken or whether it truly supercedes the PDF link. Maybe both policies are floating around AA (wouldn't be the first time contradictory policies were seemingly in force). I obviously trust JonNYC's sources but no one can really find a live policy on any kind of customer facing website. A customer intending to use this policy can't really rely upon a Twitter screenshot

2) Even the policy in Post 7 seems to be limited - AA would have to accommodate the passenger through the original "connecting point." In the OMAAT case, the "connecting point" would seem to be HNL; AA being forced to connect that passenger in IROPs from PHX to HNL to DBV really does no one any favors
Well, JonNYC does indicate that the information in the second screenshot is "current."

As to point 2, I think it depends on how the passenger's AA flight out of HNL was coded. (IB does not fly out of HNL on its own metal.) If the AA flight on the IB ticket was AA-coded, then the transfer point would not have to be preserved; if the AA flight were IB-coded, then that could be a different story.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by percysmith

Saleslink is Travel Agent's document? Much like cxagents.com first uploaded CX's new equivalent policy https://onemileatatime.com/oneworld-...ts-protection/ ?

Anyone here know a TA that can seek clarification from AA regarding separate oneworld tickets on separate PNRs?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Kind of makes all the stuff they said when applying for their JV ring pretty hollow, doesn't it?
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
Anyone here know a TA that can seek clarification from AA regarding separate oneworld tickets on separate PNRs?
If you're using a TA, perhaps they can simply get everything booked into one PNR, which would likely avoid this entire mess. Might be worth the cost with a complex itinerary like this one.

I have no idea how the TA-airline relationship works, though, and whether a TA would have any pull to get, for example, confirmation of a re-accommodation policy in writing pre-flight.

Last edited by metallo; Sep 3, 2019 at 10:27 am
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Seems to me that separate PNRs with a logical connection point, connecting to a trip that's not an obvious immediate turn around/mileage run should be just fine. Got a ticket from PHX to LAX and then a ticket from LAX to DBV where you are staying for a few days, you should be fine. Have a stupid connection using a mix of different ticket stock on an AA metal with an immediate turn, then people will automatically assume it isn't a legit trip and will be less willing to help.

Bad facts make bad law. This is about as bad a set of facts as anyone could hypothesize.
USFlyerUS and FAA1996 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
OMAAT’s Mike had a follow-up comment that seemed to imply a routing like PHX-LAX-HNL, then HNL-LAX-?-DBV. He booked via HNL expecting to drop the LAX-HNL-LAX legs if things went south. However, the current policy provided by JonNYC says “to final destination using same connecting point”, so he was trying to get AAgents to do something against policy and that help explain the behaviors/answers of some of the AAgents. The lesson is to be aware you might have to go through whichever connecting point you pick, so don’t get too crazy.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
When I posted about the language change back at the end of June, AA confirmed their OW protection policy to me,

Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No - because AA did not sell the 1st ticket and so would not allow refund of that ticket - that would have been between the passenger and BA
Pax to request to have requested the refund for that ticket and also purchased the new PHXLAX ticket. Might have come out slightly ahead on the deal if the pax saved his BA miles and still got credit for HNLLAX. Not perfect, but heck of a lot less stressful and time consuming.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The SalesLink document most certainly does reflect protection for AA-AA and AA-OW tickets ane makes no reference to same or separate PNR's.

The language is a bit poor because it still presupposes that the same policy exists for all of OW, but it does not. However, that poor wording does not affect the question of whether this policy affects AA-AA & AA-OW on separate tickets in separate PNR's.

The question of booking separate tickets into one PNR has to do with bag check only. AA will check bags across its own and OW tickets if booked into the same PNR.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
For what its worth, I just booked two different tickets ... one on AA with an AA ticket from the hinterlands to JFK and a separate one on a OW carrier from JFK.

I remain confident that if there is a problem and I show up at the Flagship Lounge or call the EXP line, they will take care of me. And, I saved several thousand on a business class ticket.
Adelphos and RunningforMiles like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.