Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2016 Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MDWlvH8
Wife and I (both AA Plat) are traveling together from SFO-ORD, which requires 4 stickers each. But i purchased the tickets under my account under a single reservation, does this mean that I need 8 stickers to upgrade both of us? Or can I supply 4 of my stickers for me, and my wife can apply 4 of her stickers for her.
Pretty sure she can apply her own stickers. Just have her pull up her reservation on the AA app on her phone and then click on the upgrades button and I think she should be able to request just her own. And then you could do the same on your phone.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
If I'm cleared and don't have enough and buy them online, will they post immediately so I can check in right away?
I believe they quote the 500-mile upgrades will post within two hours. It may be quicker than that.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I'm on the upgrade list for a flight I did not request (currently platinum). I double checked, and there's still
The option to check for requesting an upgrade. Is AA proactively requesting for an op up? Flight looks full. Just weird they are doing it almost 4
Hours out.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I believe what you've experienced before is what's called an OP-UP, for operational upgrade. This is where the GA has decided to upgrade your seat with the assumption they would be able to clear a standby into coach. This is a very last ditch effort to fill the plane and are few and far between for many people, if at all. AA is a company in the business to make money, providing transportation is secondary. So if they can "charge" either cash or other instrument, that goes to their bottom line. Good customer service no longer means anything to businesses.
I was gold for one day and on that very first day I was op up to first class. I was beyond shocked when they told me as my gold status was given to me by doing a Platinum challenge.

I am hoping my luck continues...
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
So I recently purchased SFO-JFK in J. I noticed however that there is no ability to request an upgrade to F, despite there being an F cabin. Is there a way to request the upgrade? I know flights booked into Y will auto request or you can chose to request in PLT/GLD.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by danohio
So I recently purchased SFO-JFK in J. I noticed however that there is no ability to request an upgrade to F, despite there being an F cabin. Is there a way to request the upgrade? I know flights booked into Y will auto request or you can chose to request in PLT/GLD.
15k miles plus $175 (if I), 15k miles if (J,D,R)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...rade-chart.jsp
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Can't use stickers for J to F upgrades, so you have to call.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BThumme
15k miles plus $175 (if I), 15k miles if (J,D,R)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...rade-chart.jsp
Sorry if my question wasn't clear. I'm not looking to do a mileage upgrade. As an elite, I should be able to request comp or sticker upgrades. Being booked into J on a 3-class, there is not option to request or showing it auto-requested for the SFO-JFK flight. Right now it is showing "Not Offered". Which is normal for being booked into F, but it should say requested.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 2:53 pm

Sorry if my question wasn't clear. I'm not looking to do a mileage upgrade. As an elite, I should be able to request comp or sticker upgrades. Being booked into J on a 3-class, there is not option to request or showing it auto-requested for the SFO-JFK flight. Right now it is showing "Not Offered". Which is normal for being booked into F, but it should say requested.
You were clear. There is no complimentary/sticker upgrades from J to F, only Y to J. You can request J to F via what I said. I flew JFK-SFO and was in the same situation.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum/Ambassador
Plat upgraded before EXPs

Every week I fly a <500 mile segment with two colleagues. One colleague and I are EXP, the other colleague is Plat. Typically my upgrade for this segment clears at 100 hours. The last two weeks, the Plat colleague's upgrade cleared at 72 hours and the other EXP and I ended up on airport upgrade list as #1 & #2, with only one of us actually clearing (me last week, her this week). We're all buying comparable fares, itineraries, and advance purchase (more than 60 days). The Plat colleague swears they're standard complimentary upgrades; he showed me his "You've been upgraded" email. How is it possible that his upgrade is processing before ours?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
You were clear. There is no complimentary/sticker upgrades from J to F, only Y to J. You can request J to F via what I said. I flew JFK-SFO and was in the same situation.
Well that sucks, thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jim_F
I contacted AA about this since my account showed 1 e500 was redeemed on 3/23/16 yet I've never redeemed any e500s. I was told there was an "audit" to address some discrepancies between the balances shown on aa.com and the actual reservation system. Apparently the audit discovered I had 1 too many e500s. I find this odd since I earned exactly 12 last year (as part of the US migration) and have never redeemed any for upgrades. The agent I talked to said she would investigate further.

Anyone else noticed they've had e500s deducted from their account?
Add me to the list. Subtracted 4 from my account 3/23. Kinda sucks.
Old May 6, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I apologize if this has been asked. I have searched for a while and cannot find a specific answer.

My spouse is Platinum. I've noticed since the batch update last month adjusting the EQMs of F/C flights of less than 500 miles to 1000 EQMs that the "EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" are now being reduced by 1000 miles for each leg.

Is that the correct amount that should be counted?
Old May 6, 2016, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by txpenny
I apologize if this has been asked. I have searched for a while and cannot find a specific answer.

My spouse is Platinum. I've noticed since the batch update last month adjusting the EQMs of F/C flights of less than 500 miles to 1000 EQMs that the "EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades" are now being reduced by 1000 miles for each leg.

Is that the correct amount that should be counted?
Yes, since you earn 100% bonus miles, those flights under 500 earn 1000 miles for Plats.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
She needs to make a call.

When AA did the adjustment, she was credited for an additional 500 EQMs for 10 of her 11 trips, however only credited for 3 of the 11 in the "EQMs needed to earn 500-mile upgrades".

Additionally, she was not given the 4 stickers for tipping 10000 miles by February 29th (which she would have earned if AA had been applying correctly from the start of the year).

Oy Vey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.