FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

guv1976 May 31, 2019 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 31158340)
I recently read that AA platinum members get free same day standby.

How does this work because the one the one time I thought about using it. The app wanted to charge me $75 since I was flying in Y

I’ve used it before for domestic F, is Y same day change free for platinums ?

There's a difference between same-day confirmed-flight change, and same-day standby. Which are you asking about? Same-day standby is free for all oneworld elites, at any level.

JDiver May 31, 2019 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 31158340)
I recently read that AA platinum members get free same day standby.

How does this work because the one the one time I thought about using it. The app wanted to charge me $75 since I was flying in Y

I’ve used it before for domestic F, is Y same day change free for platinums ?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...c-standby.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

The Wikiposts contain key information.

Shadowfactor May 31, 2019 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 31158372)

what happens if you standby for a later flight and there’s no seats available on any later flights that day ?

Obviously I know you are responsible for your hotel, food etc costs but does the ticket loose it’s value if you can’t get on a flight that same day ?

flyingeph12 May 31, 2019 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dubiox (Post 31158313)
What is that desk for upstairs at LAX Admiral's Club when you first walk up? You already check in downstairs.

The desk upstairs is for customer-service related issues—if you need a shower, help with a reservation, etc. The people downstairs are solely for checking people in.

flyingeph12 May 31, 2019 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor (Post 31158852)

what happens if you standby for a later flight and there’s no seats available on any later flights that day ?

Obviously I know you are responsible for your hotel, food etc costs but does the ticket loose it’s value if you can’t get on a flight that same day ?

Your standby request will roll over to the first flight the next day.

JFKATC May 31, 2019 9:44 pm

I'm flying PHX-ORD and connecting to SAS to CPH. Is it correct that I may have to re-check luggage at ORD? I'm Gold and in FC.

Reetmafreen May 31, 2019 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dubiox (Post 31158313)
What is that desk for upstairs at LAX Admiral's Club when you first walk up? You already check in downstairs.

as was mentioned earlier, it’s a customer service desk, but they are also the gatekeepers to the Flagship Lounge and to Flagship First Dinning. If you qualify for either of these when you first check in downstairs, you will be given a card to take upstairs. When you get to the service desk, they will take the card from you and direct you to the appropriate lounge.

NYC Flyer May 31, 2019 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by JFKATC (Post 31159072)
I'm flying PHX-ORD and connecting to SAS to CPH. Is it correct that I may have to re-check luggage at ORD? I'm Gold and in FC.

If the flights are on separate tickets, AA will not forward the bags to SAS. You will have to claim bags at ORD.

catcher1 May 31, 2019 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 31158950)
The desk upstairs is for customer-service related issues—if you need a shower, help with a reservation, etc. The people downstairs are solely for checking people in.

And they're damn good.

Magic01273 Jun 1, 2019 8:46 am

HI all, am taking my first AA flight for several years, next month (am I fairly seasoned traveller but have always taken either BA or Virgin from UK to the US). and I'm going on a 777-200 from LHR to PHX. I'm currently in seat 03A.

Having a quick look through the boards here, it appears that there are two variants of the J seat possible on these 777 aircraft - a reverse herringbone arrangement with all seats front-facing as one seat variant and then a second yin-yang variant possible on other 777-200 aircraft . Looking around at pictures/reviews I think I've gathered that the "preferred" seat variant seems to be the front-facing reverse herringbone product BUT that both products are actually OK and so I don't need to be that worried about which one my flight gets - is that fair to say?

Is it still the case that if you look at the seatmap on aa.com - and if your seatmap displays available (blue) seats without any notches, that you are expected to get the reverse herringbone variant (barring any equipment changes)? Or is that an inaccurate way to tell?

Any other tips/advice for AA travel in business class are very welcome! Is anyone able to compare/contrast around the AA hard/soft products vs. BA club world? Travel on BA mostly out of necessity/convenience but never really rated their CW product that highly, so interested to hear what people who have experienced both AA and BA think in terms of how the products compare. Thanks!

JJeffrey Jun 1, 2019 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Magic01273 (Post 31160134)
HI all, am taking my first AA flight for several years, next month (am I fairly seasoned traveller but have always taken either BA or Virgin from UK to the US). and I'm going on a 777-200 from LHR to PHX. I'm currently in seat 03A.

Having a quick look through the boards here, it appears that there are two variants of the J seat possible on these 777 aircraft - a reverse herringbone arrangement with all seats front-facing as one seat variant and then a second yin-yang variant possible on other 777-200 aircraft . Looking around at pictures/reviews I think I've gathered that the "preferred" seat variant seems to be the front-facing reverse herringbone product BUT that both products are actually OK and so I don't need to be that worried about which one my flight gets - is that fair to say?

Is it still the case that if you look at the seatmap on aa.com - and if your seatmap displays available (blue) seats without any notches, that you are expected to get the reverse herringbone variant (barring any equipment changes)? Or is that an inaccurate way to tell?

Any other tips/advice for AA travel in business class are very welcome! Is anyone able to compare/contrast around the AA hard/soft products vs. BA club world? Travel on BA mostly out of necessity/convenience but never really rated their CW product that highly, so interested to hear what people who have experienced both AA and BA think in terms of how the products compare. Thanks!

You got it. Both AA 772 variants offer all-aisle access, full lie-flat seats in a 1-2-1 layout. There are pros and cons to each setup, some people prefer the all forward layout or vice versa, but all in all both are comfortable and I wouldn't worry at all about which config you end up with. Both of AA's 772 business hard products are miles ahead of BA's cramped, forward backward, climb over your neighbor nonsense.

And you're correct about the seatmaps, no notches means you're scheduled on an all forward facing setup. However, AA typically uses the all-forward setup as a placeholder on all 772 flights, so seeing that at a month out doesn't mean anything. Start checking again about a week before the flight to get a better guess of what you'll be on.

AA vs BA: as mentioned above AA hard product wins hands down, people have varied options on soft product but generally speaking they're about the same and will largely come down to crew, which is a roll of the dice on either.

And remember, as an AA business pax departing LHR T3, make sure you go to either the CX or QF lounge, do not bother with the BA or AA lounges.

AGYB Jun 2, 2019 4:14 am

im looking to apply for the Citi AA Business card, where can i get more info on how the 24 month rule works for the SUB? thanks

JJeffrey Jun 2, 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by AGYB (Post 31162138)
im looking to apply for the Citi AA Business card, where can i get more info on how the 24 month rule works for the SUB? thanks

For any credit card related questions, I'd start over in the credit card forums here at FT. Here's the Citi forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...u-rewards-739/

ManFactSpendLA Jun 2, 2019 7:31 am

I’m headed jfk-lax-sjc. Have a 1+50 connection time in lax. If I wanted to check a bag to lax run down and get it, give it to my sister to take with her (she lives in la) can aa do that? Or would I have to check it all the way through to sjc?

rove312 Jun 2, 2019 8:40 am

If that's booked on one ticket, I don't expect that AA would agree to short-check a bag.