FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey Jun 2, 19 8:43 am

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA (Post 31162496)
Iím headed jfk-lax-sjc. Have a 1+50 connection time in lax. If I wanted to check a bag to lax run down and get it, give it to my sister to take with her (she lives in la) can aa do that? Or would I have to check it all the way through to sjc?

AA definitely can short check your bag to LAX, the question is whether they will do it, which will largely come down to the check-in agent at JFK. With only a 1:50 connection time you might get some pushback. YMMV.

AGYB Jun 2, 19 9:58 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31162476)
For any credit card related questions, I'd start over in the credit card forums here at FT. Here's the Citi forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...u-rewards-739/

thanks

flyingeph12 Jun 2, 19 12:54 pm

I’m headed jfk-lax-sjc. Have a 1+50 connection time in lax. If I wanted to check a bag to lax run down and get it, give it to my sister to take with her (she lives in la) can aa do that? Or would I have to check it all the way through to sjc?

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31162669)
AA definitely can short check your bag to LAX, the question is whether they will do it, which will largely come down to the check-in agent at JFK. With only a 1:50 connection time you might get some pushback. YMMV.

Even if an agent agreed to short check the bag, I think you'd be cutting it close with a 1hr 50min connection. LAX-SJC will be departing from the remote Eagle terminal, which requires an extra 5-10 minute bus ride (not to mention you might have to wait in line for the bus).

JDiver Jun 2, 19 1:07 pm

Iím headed jfk-lax-sjc. Have a 1+50 connection time in lax. If I wanted to check a bag to lax run down and get it, give it to my sister to take with her (she lives in la) can aa do that? Or would I have to check it all the way through to sjc?

IF you can convince the agent at check in youíre not attempting hidden city - point beyond ticketing and the bag is short checked, perhaps you can give your sister the information necessary so she can pick it up. There arenít agents matching bag tags and receipts, and if you text her a photo of the bag and the tag number you donít even have to retrieve it and go landslide at all.

Thatís A significant ďifĒ, IMO.

alaskaforlife Jun 2, 19 9:09 pm

As an American Airlines Gold Member (status match period), if I book BASIC Economy Flight:
1. Will I get 1 checked bag when traveling internationally (BOS-MAD) and (MAD-PHL-BOS)?
2. Will my traveling companion on the same ticket reservation get 1 checked bag?
3. I hold the American Executive card, American Platinum Card and the Barclays Aviator Silver card. Will this get me any checked bag/s? What about boarding group?
4. I read the website and it says I will not be allowed to choose Preferred or Main Cabin Seats. Do I get a chance to choose seats?
5. I plan to do MAD-PHL-BOS but I probably will get off at PHL and just not travel to BOS. How bad is this idea? I have PHL-SFO connecting flight for a business meeting. MAD-BOS return is almost $500 more in BASIC ECONOMY.

This is going to be my first ever flight on AA metal. I mostly fly Alaska.

Thanks!

NYC Flyer Jun 2, 19 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife (Post 31164501)
As an American Airlines Gold Member (status match period), if I book BASIC Economy Flight:
1. Will I get 1 checked bag when traveling internationally (BOS-MAD) and (MAD-PHL-BOS)?
2. Will my traveling companion on the same ticket reservation get 1 checked bag?
3. I hold the American Executive card, American Platinum Card and the Barclays Aviator Silver card. Will this get me any checked bag/s? What about boarding group?
4. I read the website and it says I will not be allowed to choose Preferred or Main Cabin Seats. Do I get a chance to choose seats?
5. I plan to do MAD-PHL-BOS but I probably will get off at PHL and just not travel to BOS. How bad is this idea? I have PHL-SFO connecting flight for a business meeting. MAD-BOS return is almost $500 more in BASIC ECONOMY.

This is going to be my first ever flight on AA metal. I mostly fly Alaska.

Thanks!

Everyone in the same reservation will get one free checked bag. The bag perks across elite and credit card programs all entitle each passenger to one bag, but they do not accumulate. You can board with group 4, and your companion will likely be permitted to join you.

You can choose your own seats for a fee, or accept auto-assigned seats at check-in.

Assuming your PHL-SFO is NOT on AA, you should not have a problem. If you're booked for both PHL-BOS and PHL-SFO on AA on the same day, you may have a duplicate reservaton issue, however.

Andrew Wang Jun 2, 19 11:03 pm

Mixed cabin

hi - how do you book mixed cabin for your traveling party on the same itinerary? Say 1 first class and 2 economy for DFW - MXP? Thx.

flyingeph12 Jun 2, 19 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Wang (Post 31164686)
hi - how do you book mixed cabin for your traveling party on the same itinerary? Say 1 first class and 2 economy for DFW - MXP? Thx.

As far as I know, you can't have people in different cabins on the same itinerary; every person must be in the same cabin for a particular flight.
This is why when people traveling together want to be considered individually for upgrades, the PNR must be "split."

NYC Flyer Jun 2, 19 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Wang (Post 31164686)

You cannot accomplish this. All passengers on a single itinerary/PNR must hold the same booking class. In your example, the F class passenger would need a separate PNR from the two economy travelers...

doss1 Jun 3, 19 6:57 am

I have the AAdvantage credit card that has the free checked bag perk, but I booked an AA ticket via the Chase Ultimate Travel portal and used my Chase Sapphire Reserve card to pay for a small fee (didn't have enough points to cover all of it, so used CC). With that said, will I still be able to check a bag for free since I hold the AAdvantage credit card that has a free bag check? I do see that my AAdvantage account is correctly connected to my ticket information (I remember I was able to check bags for free in the past, but been years and I am not sure if it's still doable these days).

rjlon Jun 3, 19 7:12 am

Can anyone advise please

I am trying to find out why AA1480 returned to HNL yesterday and then flew back to LAX with same Equipment. There is nothing anywhere to explain it. The reason I wish to know is I fit to HONOLULU regularly and normally avoid the early flight to LAX. When I flew it two weeks ago we sat in the plane as there was something wrong with an engine cover. Then I saw a couple of other delays followed by an equipment change to 787. I am nit a lover of Airbus aircraft and I wondered if anyone knew any background to the recent unreliability of this service? Looking forward to 74/75 from ORD at Christmas, maybe I should look at DFW routing rather than LAX? Hoped things would get better when B757ís went... does seem to be a problem on 1480. Someone said it is a maintenance dispute but I have not seen anything. Can anyone help please?

NYC Flyer Jun 3, 19 7:18 am

Originally Posted by doss1 (Post 31165489)
I have the AAdvantage credit card that has the free checked bag perk, but I booked an AA ticket via the Chase Ultimate Travel portal and used my Chase Sapphire Reserve card to pay for a small fee (didn't have enough points to cover all of it, so used CC). With that said, will I still be able to check a bag for free since I hold the AAdvantage credit card that has a free bag check? I do see that my AAdvantage account is correctly connected to my ticket information (I remember I was able to check bags for free in the past, but been years and I am not sure if it's still doable these days).

There is still no requirement to charge tickets to the Citi card to receive the baggage/boarding benefits.

JJeffrey Jun 3, 19 7:21 am

Originally Posted by doss1 (Post 31165489)

You don't have to pay for the trip with your Citi AAdvantage card in order to get the free checked bag. As long as your AA# is in the reservation then you're good to go.

wrp96 Jun 3, 19 8:14 am

Originally Posted by alaskaforlife (Post 31164501)

The checked baggage benefit with the credit cards is only for domestic flights, so wouldn't help you on your flight from MAD.

wrp96 Jun 3, 19 8:15 am

Originally Posted by rjlon (Post 31165514)
I am trying to find out why AA1480 returned to HNL yesterday and then flew back to LAX with same Equipment. There is nothing anywhere to explain it. The reason I wish to know is I fit to HONOLULU regularly and normally avoid the early flight to LAX. When I flew it two weeks ago we sat in the plane as there was something wrong with an engine cover. Then I saw a couple of other delays followed by an equipment change to 787. I am nit a lover of Airbus aircraft and I wondered if anyone knew any background to the recent unreliability of this service? Looking forward to 74/75 from ORD at Christmas, maybe I should look at DFW routing rather than LAX? Hoped things would get better when B757ís went... does seem to be a problem on 1480. Someone said it is a maintenance dispute but I have not seen anything. Can anyone help please?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ay-flight.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...cs-unions.html