FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: NEWBIE LOUNGE 2019: Ask "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1948542-archive-newbie-lounge-2019-ask-newbie-aa-questions-here-flame-free.html)

JJeffrey Oct 8, 2019 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by AlphonsoMango (Post 31606527)
I was originally booked on BKK-HKG-JFK in CX J but my flight was cancelled and I was rerouted onto BKK-HKG-EWR. I want to come back a day later but I'm not seeing any availability on CX or JL. If I call in, would the phone agent or airline liaison be able to request for award space since my original ticket was changed? Since I'm booked on CX right now, will AA charge me the redeposit fee if I change to JL?

AA can request that CX open up space a day later due to the schedule change, but it will take a good agent. Changing from CX to JL will not require paying the redeposit fee.

AlphonsoMango Oct 8, 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31606736)
AA can request that CX open up space a day later due to the schedule change, but it will take a good agent. Changing from CX to JL will not require paying the redeposit fee.

Thanks! I'm thinking about waiting until T-14 for close-in and if nothing shows up then I'll try my luck.

scruffy Oct 8, 2019 7:03 pm

I am thinking of booking a business class AAdvantage award to Japan from the US with the international segments on JAL. Is there a way to select seats on the JAL segments after making the reservation (rather than just getting whatever seat is still available at check-in)?

I have no status with AA or OneWorld.

Thanks!

gateH15 Oct 8, 2019 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by scruffy (Post 31607511)
I am thinking of booking a business class AAdvantage award to Japan from the US with the international segments on JAL. Is there a way to select seats on the JAL segments after making the reservation (rather than just getting whatever seat is still available at check-in)?

I have no status with AA or OneWorld.

Thanks!

Once you get your record locator you can select seats on JAL website.
JAL website

TWA884 Oct 8, 2019 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31607515)
Once you get your record locator you can select seats on JAL website.
JAL website

You can also call AA reservations for seat assignments on the JAL segments.

baggyred Oct 10, 2019 7:36 am

Quick newbie question

I know you can move an award redemption without fee if the origin and destination remain the same - however is there a time limit on this?

Ie could I call up with 2 days to go and move a flight without fee?

JJeffrey Oct 10, 2019 7:44 am

Originally Posted by baggyred (Post 31612757)
Quick newbie question

I know you can move an award redemption without fee if the origin and destination remain the same - however is there a time limit on this?

Ie could I call up with 2 days to go and move a flight without fee?

There is no time restriction as long as you do not change to a date within 21 days of your original ticketing date (to get around the close in booking fee).

baggyred Oct 10, 2019 8:21 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31612787)
There is no time restriction as long as you do not change to a date within 21 days of your original ticketing date (to get around the close in booking fee).

Thanks - so let's say I had a flight coming up on the 20th october that I booked on 1st September

I could call up on the 18th october and move it to February without charge still?

guv1976 Oct 10, 2019 8:32 am

Originally Posted by baggyred (Post 31612904)
Thanks - so let's say I had a flight coming up on the 20th october that I booked on 1st September

I could call up on the 18th october and move it to February without charge still?

Yes. You could also move it to September 30, 2019, without charge -- but you'd have to make that call by September 30.

Stocktc1 Oct 10, 2019 6:17 pm

Do business class award flights even show up for Tokyo to LAX? I checked January and not even a single date. Does it open up like JAL 1-4 days before the flight?

Mwenenzi Oct 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Stocktc1 (Post 31614796)
Do business class award flights even show up for Tokyo to LAX? I checked January and not even a single date. Does it open up like JAL 1-4 days before the flight?

Looking on for AA flights? Or also on JL?
Look from both airports:- NRT & HND.

May be the married segment problem.

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections

AAdvantage MileSAAver: “Through Award Fares”, a New (March 2019)

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)

JL---> AAdvantage Award using JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

ainokea Oct 11, 2019 10:13 am

Here's my newb question and first post:

I plan to book a round-trip overseas itinerary that is mixed-class and includes a stop/connection in each direction. DCA-ORD in Economy and ORD-FCO in Premium Economy for the outbound trip, and FCO-PHL in Premium Economy and PHL-DCA in Economy for the return trip.

When I check in, may I use the Priority check-in counters at DCA to start my outbound trip since my connecting flight is PE?

Will I get charged for checked-baggage for the Economy flights, or do these "inherit" the PE baggage policy?

Thanks!

ISTFlyer Oct 11, 2019 10:17 am

Originally Posted by ainokea (Post 31617239)

I plan to book a round-trip overseas itinerary that is mixed-class and includes a stop/connection in each direction. DCA-ORD in Economy and ORD-FCO in Premium Economy for the outbound trip, and FCO-PHL in Premium Economy and PHL-DCA in Economy for the return trip.

When I check in, may I use the Priority check-in counters at DCA to start my outbound trip since my connecting flight is PE?

Will I get charged for checked-baggage for the Economy flights, or do these "inherit" the PE baggage policy?

Thanks!

Hello ainokea and welcome to FlyerTalk

- AFAIK, Premium Economy passengers are not eligible for Priority Check-in, you must hold a Oneworld Sapphire or Emerald status ( AA 50K or higher ) in order to use the priority check-in desks; both in Reagan, both in Rome.

- Edit: You would be able to use the Priority access lanes as AA allows PE and OWR pax to use their priority check-in desks and security checkpoints

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b97049ad4.jpeg

- If the DCA-ORD & PHL-DCA flights are on the same ticket, you would not need to pay for checked baggage for those flights. The same baggage allowance as your long-haul legs would apply for those flights.

gateH15 Oct 11, 2019 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ainokea (Post 31617239)

Thanks!

You can use Priority check in and also priority (FastTrack) security.
You won’t get charged for the bags since it’s on the same ticket. I believe you can check 2 bags for free in PE.
also AA used to allow to select MCE for free on domestic legs when you booked in PE. Not sure if they still do it. Someone correct me if I’m wrong pls

ainokea Oct 11, 2019 10:33 am

gateH15 and ISTFlyer , thank you for the information!

I was actually unaware of the security Fast Track benefit for booking PE. Is that, perhaps, the same thing as buying a fast track security voucher at FCO/Fiumicino?

I haven't flown into Rome in decades; I know what security lines were like in the 90s; I am scared to imagine what they are like nowadays.