Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Combined 2019 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Introduction

Welcome to the 2019 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on international. To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include routes, times, meal designation (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack/refreshments/none), and if you want, seat number. Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are guidelines, but of course, the format/style is all yours. Of course, discussion of improvements and/or cutbacks, questions, and thoughts are also welcome.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected and are okay. However, if the flight is taken on a 777 in Business, please clearly indicate if you're in 2- or 3-class Business. If you want to see other examples of past formats, check out historical Int'l meal threads - or just post the same way you've always done.

AA2: JFK-LHR: 7pm
Dinner
777 (3-class)
Business Class

(from here, share the menu, experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
In the mood to enjoy a throwback? Enjoy reading international meal threads from years past! For the 2019 Domestic Meals thread, click here.
Thanks to MrAndy1369 for starting this and the domestic meal threads for 2019 and defining guidelines.
Print Wikipost

Combined 2019 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: CK or bust
That same menu was on the GRU-MIA rotation as well.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Upgrade if Special Meal Ordered in Economy?

I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I figure someone here might now. My wife and I are waitlisted on SWUs for LAX-NRT this Friday. My wife is a vegetarian. If I order her a special meal in economy, will that block her from upgrading to C if space clears? I imagine they’d have some extra meals in economy, so someone wouldn’t get involuntarily stuck with an AVML. I understand that if the upgrade happens after the special meal ordering window has passed that she wouldn’t get a business class SPML, and that would be fine. I suppose they could always serve her the economy SPML if they have enough to go around. I’d contact AA Twitter about this, but I feel like this question is getting into the weeds and I won’t get an accurate response.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I figure someone here might now. My wife and I are waitlisted on SWUs for LAX-NRT this Friday. My wife is a vegetarian. If I order her a special meal in economy, will that block her from upgrading to C if space clears? I imagine they’d have some extra meals in economy, so someone wouldn’t get involuntarily stuck with an AVML. I understand that if the upgrade happens after the special meal ordering window has passed that she wouldn’t get a business class SPML, and that would be fine. I suppose they could always serve her the economy SPML if they have enough to go around. I’d contact AA Twitter about this, but I feel like this question is getting into the weeds and I won’t get an accurate response.
No SPML will not impact your ability to get upgraded. There have been rumors over the years of that being true at BA but to my recollection has never been true at AA.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Used one of my systemwide upgrades for my fiancee's upcoming flight from Tokyo to LA and it cleared earlier this week. She's got the following options plus the standard dainomono meal. She wants to try a western style meal so does anyone have any feedback on the following 3 options?

• Grilled Beef Filet
    • wasabi crust, parsley butter, roasted potatoes, seasonal vegetables
  • Seared Sea Bass
    • Japanese leeks, cherry tomato, jasmine rice, lobster sauce
  • Truffle Mushroom Risotto
    • Parmesan cheese
Old Oct 5, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
AA26, HND-LAX, Business, October 2019, Japanese meal (pre-ordered)

The meal was great, in both taste and presentation, and far exceeded what I would expect in business (better than what I have experienced on CX.) AA really deserves credit here. The meal was also better than what was available in the JAL HND first class lounge before departure.

The zensai course was amazing. Dainomono course was slightly overcooked, but still very good. I also requested my meal be delayed (dine anytime noted on the menu.) Crew was very good.

Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:50 pm

PHX- LHR
Business class selection. Has anyone tried the following?
Peppercorn Seared Beef Filet
pomme anna, truffle butter, port wine sauce, sautéed asparagus, shitake mushrooms

or

Rotisserie Chicken
roasted fingerling, red wine sauce, haricot vert
Old Oct 5, 2019, 11:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
AA26, HND-LAX, Business, October 2019, Japanese meal (pre-ordered)

The meal was great, in both taste and presentation, and far exceeded what I would expect in business (better than what I have experienced on CX.) AA really deserves credit here. The meal was also better than what was available in the JAL HND first class lounge before departure.

The zensai course was amazing. Dainomono course was slightly overcooked, but still very good. I also requested my meal be delayed (dine anytime noted on the menu.) Crew was very good.
Much better than what I was served in Premium Economy last week, but a far cry than what I enjoyed in Business Class on JAL on my way to Japan.
Attached Images           

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 5, 2019 at 11:56 pm
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:49 am

HKG-DFW in F next month
Any recs?

Leaning towards Duck but that seems easy to dry out might also go Short Rib
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Short rib.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA : EXP / AR : ORO
Some pics from recent flights.

AA#997 - DFW/EZE (789/J)

Great overall service.
Same menu posted above.
Entree was served extremely hot.
Fish was ok, but would have preferred a tastier sauce.
Sundae was larger but quality of toppings is not what it used to be (barely any berry).
Skipped full breakfast for a cup of tea and pastry.
Service, again, was above average (for AA standards). A smile goes a long way these days..

Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:10 pm

AA#996 - EZE/DFW (788/J)

Younger crew.
Minor incident between flight attendant and passenger got all the service upside down.
Drinks were served first, no nuts (which were included on dinner tray 15 mins later).
Food was one of the worst I've ever had.
1 single slice of prosciuto, 2 boccocini and 1/4 of a tomato.
Beef entree was more in line with beef stews you find in most economy classes.
One could taste it was no good beef either (which is strange as this is probably cattered ex-Argentina).
Sundae was half a scoop of icecream with little toppings.
Self-serve bar with set up in galley between J and W. Quite a variety of sweet and savory snacks.
Skipped breakfast for food at DFW Flagship Lounge.

Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:23 pm

AA#931 - MIA/EZE (722/J)

Late night departure so service happens quite quickly.
Used to crew on MIA/EZE rotation: professional service with a pinch of friendliness, but just that.
All served at the same time, to maximize rest time.
Pasta was quite filling, but sauce a bit too spicy for my taste.
Looove that icecream! I prefer it over the sundae.
As usual with these overnight flights, I prefer a tea and pastry in the morning so as to have a full breakfast once landed.

Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by TWA884
Much better than what I was served in Premium Economy last week, but a far cry than what I enjoyed in Business Class on JAL on my way to Japan.
I think it's as simple as that AA just doesn't really care that much about the quality and presentation of their meals in business. They probably look at their average paying passenger in business and figure either 1) those passengers generally don't prioritize the meal enough to switch airlines over it, or 2) those passengers are usually constrained by company travel policies that usually don't give them a choice of airline. So long as they reach a minimum bar of service, they don't have much incentive to do more.

For me though, I have more flexibility, and AA meals have been so consistently poor for several years now that it does affect my travel decisions. Sure, I can't spend hundreds of dollars more for a better meal, but where fares have been fairly comparable I've been booking with BA over AA whenever I have a reasonable option.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:57 am

J lunch menu LAX-PVG - recommendations? I remember chicken being very dry on AA

Bourbon-Glazed Salmon
fig and roasted pepper orzo, sugar snap peas, cherry tomato

Miso Crusted Beef Filet
jasmine rice, garlic broccolini, butter miso sauce

Kung Pao Cauliflower
steamed rice, soy sauce

Rotisserie Chicken
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by yydv
J lunch menu LAX-PVG - recommendations? I remember chicken being very dry on AA

Bourbon-Glazed Salmon
fig and roasted pepper orzo, sugar snap peas, cherry tomato

Miso Crusted Beef Filet
jasmine rice, garlic broccolini, butter miso sauce

Kung Pao Cauliflower
steamed rice, soy sauce

Rotisserie Chicken
My preference is the salmon.
deb86305 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.