Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2016 Combined AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

2016 Combined AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles

Introduction

Welcome to the 2016 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on international. To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include routes, times, meal designation (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack/refreshments/none), and if you want, seat number. Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are guidelines, but of course, the format/style is all yours. Of course, discussion of improvements and/or cutbacks, questions, and thoughts are also welcome.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected and are okay. However, if the flight is taken on a 777 in Business, please clearly indicate if you're in 2- or 3-class Business. If you want to see other examples of past formats, check out historical Int'l meal threads - or just post the same way you've always done.

AA2: JFK-LHR: 7pm
Dinner
777 (3-class)
Business Class

(from here, share the menu, experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
In the mood to enjoy a throwback? Enjoy reading international meal threads from years past!

For the 2016 Domestic Meals thread, click here.

Enjoy!

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Jan 4, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Lentil Chili(lentils...basically the vegetarian option? Or assumes meat in the chili w lentils?)
With polenta cake and tomato chutney

OR

Barbecue Chicken,...Served chilled

WWYD?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Awful food in J from LHR to MIA on New Year's Day flight AA39

Seriously awful appetizer. Salad wasn't as listed in menu and the wine listed on the menu wasn't boarded. What is the point in wasting money printing a menu? Hector Adler should be embarrassed to be titled "Vice President -- Flight Service." Either they should give him the budget to provide adequate customer service on long haul international J flights or fire him for doing a terrible job.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by the phoenix
Lentil Chili(lentils...basically the vegetarian option? Or assumes meat in the chili w lentils?)

OR

WWYD?
Lentil Chili is definitely vegetarian.

The BBQ Chicken Salad is served with the chicken in a separate bowl. So theoretically that is also vegetarian since you have the choice of not adding the chicken to your salad.

I'd try the chili since a salad is a salad.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:32 pm

Thought I'd report back on the Horseradish Panko encrusted chicken. Acceptable entree, not too dry. Veggies were perfectly cooked, a pleasant surprise. Would not hesitate to order again.

I also had an issue with the wine I ordered with dinner not being on the plane. Tried the mystery Spanish red and left most of it. Not really an issue since I had several at the AC during my 11 hour delay on 1/1 Flight 137. I was more or less at my limit, anyway.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: Various
What happened to the format?

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected and are okay. However, if the flight is taken on a 777 in Business, please clearly indicate if you're in 2- or 3-class Business. If you want to see other examples of past formats, check out historical Int'l meal threads - or just post the same way you've always done.

AA2: JFK-LHR: 7pm
Dinner
777 (3-class)
Business Class
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by sukn

The BBQ Chicken Salad is served with the chicken in a separate bowl. So theoretically that is also vegetarian since you have the choice of not adding the chicken to your salad.

Thank you!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by the phoenix

OR

WWYD?
Lentil Chili is quite good.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Please use an intro or descriptor format. It makes it easier to identify right at the top of a post. Thanks so much.

example

LAX-LHR
AA 108
77W
January 1, 2016
Dinner, First Class
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA 3M Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cmd320
Second that..probably the best meal I have had on AA the past year. I know that isn't saying much, but it's delicious.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
LAX-PVG (and return)
AA 183/182
788 Dreamliner
December 19th/31st, 2015
Dinner, Business Class

The "Ginger Beef with Enoki mushrooms and cilantro pesto" appetizer was served chilled. Very disappointing. The beef was overdone so you were just eating a cold, fibrous meat on a stick with minimal flavor. Looked cool though.

Had the "Coconut Cashew Crusted Chicken". It wasn't too bad but wasn't too good either. Not a big fan of coconut although appreciate the effort at a Thai style dish. The "ginger mashed potatoes" on the side was okay.

The tiramisu cake for dessert was tasty as well. Pretty good quality -- comparable to what you would find in an average bakery. The cream was a bit thick though.

About 2 hours into departure was served another meal. This curry noodle with roasted duck was surprisingly good! Very mild in spiciness yet also very flavorful -- most of y'all should be able to hand it. The roasted duck was juicy albeit a little bit fatty. Actually liked this quick meal service better than the lengthy dinner.

-------------------- RETURN TRIP ------------------------

The appetizer disappoints yet again. Looked GREAT -- tasted terrible. If you've had actual "Peking Duck Spring Roll" you know it tastes nothing like this. The wrapper was very stale, and the duck skin was cold and not crispy at all.

This was "Roasted Duck Breast with Plum Sauce and Egg Fried Rice" -- it was essentially the same duck breast from the curry noodle in the outbound leg, but actually enjoyed that dish more than this.

The fruit tart for dessert was once again very good. Bakery quality -- I suspect maybe it is indeed outsourced from a bakery and not catered by Sky Chefs or whoever does AA's food now.

In conclusion, the items served were largely Asian inspired and quite flavorful. Would take the meals here over a premium transcon or domestic meal service any day. However, AA still lags a bit behind Asian carriers in terms of both food quality, presentation, and FA meal service.

Last edited by supermintyfresh; Jan 6, 2016 at 3:40 am
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by sukn

Originally Posted by cmd320
Originally Posted by GBBob
Second that..probably the best meal I have had on AA the past year. I know that isn't saying much, but it's delicious.
Never seen such consistent feedback. Thanks to all!
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:50 pm
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Airline Programs
EZE Meal Service Late Supper vs Full Dinner

Can anyone provide some recent input if the later overnight MIA-EZE flight (in my case AA931 10:20pm departure) offers full dinner service or the late supper service in First?

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by koje581
Can anyone provide some recent input if the later overnight MIA-EZE flight (in my case AA931 10:20pm departure) offers full dinner service or the late supper service in First?
I'll merge this into the international meal thread for 2016; you can check this thread (and last year's as well) for experiences from this flight, and it is the right place for the question to be asked for others to provide their experiences.

~Moderator
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
DFW-MAD
AA 36
777-200 (refurbed)
January 2016
Dinner, Business Class

We were originally booked in first class on an old 777-200 but the aircraft was swapped at the last minute so we rode in J. Not happy about that. The menu was the same one we pre-ordered from for F. Sorry no pix of the food.

Starter was a horrible portobello mushroom concoction. I had the halibut and it was excellent. I was a bit hesitant about the olive sauce, having been burnt by the nightmare olive tapenade chicken in domestic F, but this sauce was very nice. The fish was done perfectly. I could not have expected better in a restaurant.

My wife had the turkey cutlet and said it was bad. Tough and flavorless with an overly sweet sauce.

No sundaes for dessert, apparently as part of continuing cutbacks.

Not so much as a snack basket on offer during the flight. When I asked, an unhappy flight attendant scrounged around the forward galley and handed me a bag of potato chips.

Crew was completely befuddled by the last minute aircraft switch. We had one excellent male attendant and one nasty old crone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.