Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Combined 2019 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Introduction

Welcome to the 2019 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on international. To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include routes, times, meal designation (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack/refreshments/none), and if you want, seat number. Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are guidelines, but of course, the format/style is all yours. Of course, discussion of improvements and/or cutbacks, questions, and thoughts are also welcome.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected and are okay. However, if the flight is taken on a 777 in Business, please clearly indicate if you're in 2- or 3-class Business. If you want to see other examples of past formats, check out historical Int'l meal threads - or just post the same way you've always done.

AA2: JFK-LHR: 7pm
Dinner
777 (3-class)
Business Class

(from here, share the menu, experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
In the mood to enjoy a throwback? Enjoy reading international meal threads from years past! For the 2019 Domestic Meals thread, click here.
Thanks to MrAndy1369 for starting this and the domestic meal threads for 2019 and defining guidelines.
Print Wikipost

Combined 2019 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Jan 1, 2019, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles

Introduction

Welcome to the 2019 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on international. To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include routes, times, meal designation (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack/refreshments/none), and if you want, seat number. Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are guidelines, but of course, the format/style is all yours. Of course, discussion of improvements and/or cutbacks, questions, and thoughts are also welcome.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected and are okay. However, if the flight is taken on a 777 in Business, please clearly indicate if you're in 2- or 3-class Business. If you want to see other examples of past formats, check out historical Int'l meal threads - or just post the same way you've always done.

AA2: JFK-LHR: 7pm
Dinner
777 (3-class)
Business Class

(from here, share the menu, experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
In the mood to enjoy a throwback? Enjoy reading international meal threads from years past!For the 2019 Domestic Meals thread, click here.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:03 pm

any feedback on these choices? Leaning toward the halibut, but maybe osso bucco.

Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Has anybody here tried any of these options? LHR/LAX in F next week.

Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Will upgrades clear with a Y special meal ordered?

My wife and I are flying LAX-LHR on Saturday and we are waitlisted for upgrades to C using SWUs. There were still 16 open seats at last check so I'm hopeful we have a chance at clearing. My wife is a vegetarian and I would like to know of ordering her a special meal in economy could somehow inhibit an upgrade from clearing. We realize that if she gets upgraded at the gate, for example, that she would not get a business class special meal. That is fine since there is a veg pasta available per pre-order. My concern is that someone in Y could get 'stuck' with an AVML, so maybe AA won't do an upgrade for this reason.

The logic I'm applying to my concern isn't apples to apples, but when we were flying DL once, she was skipped over for an upgrade because she had a cabin pet in her reservation and the only seat available was a bulkhead which doesn't allow cabin pets. It makes perfect sense and the agent explained that he didn't make that decision manually, but rather that the reservations system will pick up on something like that and skip over a person.

Our UGs cleared at the time of booking on the LHR-DFW return, so that was nice. Bizarrely our ERJ-175 flight from SEA-LAX on Saturday has not cleared even though only 1 of 12 FC seats is taken and the flight looks to have quite a bit of space in Y as well if the seat map is any indication. I'm not worried about it clearing, but it's kind of baffling how their upgrade algorithms work sometimes.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 4:09 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
HKG-LAX in F, Salt Pepper Lamb Chops were a little fatty but tender and tasty. Sides were mushrooms, pumpkin, steamed rice. I got the gnocchi on the side too, to taste it, it was pretty good. Pictured first is the three-seafood starter which I was skeptical of but it was very good -- cold jellyfish, a whole (tender) abalone, and a (snow?) crab roll. I have only had abalone on an airplane twice (this and once in CX F) and both times were better than some I've had on the ground. All in all a better-than-average AA meal, nothing fantastic but more than good enough.

Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Plastic salt and pepper shakers now for Flagship Intl FC? That looks so cheap for this cabin.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:35 pm

They have been plastic for years. Nothing new.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Plastic salt and pepper shakers now for Flagship Intl FC? That looks so cheap for this cabin.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by 777lover
They have been plastic for years. Nothing new.

Actually, it seems to have been on and off. I saw some posts from F last year with proper glass shakers, but I'm sure there were also plastic shakers used in F. It seems to be an inconsistent point of Int'l F. See here for glass S/P shakers from last year: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30039536-post316.html.

EDIT: Also just noticed the butter isn't in a ceramic ramekin like past Int'l F service, but rather is in its package. Hopefully this was an one-off/catering glitch, not a downgrade in the appearance of Int'l F service.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Jan 12, 2019 at 2:21 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Actually, it seems to have been on and off. I saw some posts from F last year with proper glass shakers, but I'm sure there were also plastic shakers used in F. It seems to be an inconsistent point of Int'l F. See here for glass S/P shakers from last year: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30039536-post316.html.

EDIT: Also just noticed the butter isn't in a ceramic ramekin like past Int'l F service, but rather is in its package. Hopefully this was an one-off/catering glitch, not a downgrade in the appearance of Int'l F service.
I can't speak for F, but in J from HKG, the butter is always it it's original metal container instead of a ramekin. (I also checked my 2018 HKG-DFW and HKG-LAX flight photos; and it's in a ramekin from DFW and LAX but not HKG) Here's another example of it:

1/1/2019
AA126
HKG-DFW

Appetizer - Purple Potato Boat

Entree - Shrimp and Scallops

There are 3 shrimp and 3 scallops each. This dish was very popular and I would say 3/4 of the seats in front of me ordered it, so preorder if you really want it. It's a safe dish but honestly pretty bland and typical of how AA (over)cooks shellfish. I actually had my doubts if they are real scallops.

Snack - Pork Chop Sliders
This was one of the worst snacks I've had on AA, though it may be bad execution. The photos don't do it justice, but the lettuce is so horribly limp that I wouldn't eat it; the ratio of meat/bread is all wrong, and it's greasy and messy on a stale bun.

Last edited by flightrisk; Jan 12, 2019 at 1:30 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
HKG-LAX thoughts, either thinking between chicken or the stir fried beef.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Exec. Plat.)
ORD-CDG, LAA B788, ORD crew. Standard international PDBs (OJ, water, sparkling wine). Once airborne a fairly textbook international service for a short hop. Pre-ordered the salmon, which turned out to be excellent, especially the orzo salad on the side. The filet also got good reviews from the cabin.

On the small plate: I love melon, I love manchego, and I love chick peas. I just don’t know about the first two with the last.

Ice cream sundae not pictured.

Fruit and granola for breakfast as I was just too full for the fun American version, which looked good as well.

Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Is that a smoothie you had with breakfast? Didnt see it on the menu but would be nice to have if so.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Anyone have pics they could post of the Dainomono on an HND or NRT flight? Curious to see it for an upcoming DFW-NRT, where I have selected it.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:47 pm

BCN-JFK, LAA B772, JFK crew. Standard international PDBs (OJ, water, sparkling wine). Once airborne a fairly textbook international service for a short hop.

Pre-ordered the chicken, which was excellent. Great salad and small plate to start, though I wish there had been a bit of blue cheese on the wedge.

Pre-arrival meal was absolutely fantastic. The marinated eggplants were really tasty.

Purser had a great service-oriented attitude, which seemed to spill over to the other crew members, which was great.

BCN ground staff were some of the most rude, incompetent AA contractors I’ve come across in some time.

Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:48 pm

AANYC1981 -- Just tomato juice!
AANYC1981 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.