Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Link to Combined 2019 AA International Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST.

MrAndy1369 originated this thread. Other posts in this topic have been merged here, throwing his post to #4. For members’ easy reference, we have reproduced that guidepost in its entirety. /Moderators

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Introduction
Welcome to the 2019 version of the combined AA meals thread, focusing on domestic service. Please post your meal/service experiences, including menus, photos, reports, questions, and service anecdotes.

To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include the route, time, and meal designation (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, refreshments, none). Photos are welcome and very helpful. Those are rudimentary guidelines, but of course, the format/style is up to you.

Format Sample
This is a format you can use when introducing your meal report. This is just a sample format; deviations are expected.

AA1: JFK-LAX: 3pm
Dinner
A321
First Class, 2A

(from here, share the menu and/or experiences and/or photos)

Historical Meal Reports
Throwback mode? Go crazy! For the 2019 International Meals thread, click here.

Enjoy!
[COLOR="Navy"]Welcome to the 2019 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.
  • Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)
American Eagle flights do not offer pre-ordering of meals.

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.
  • Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

• At this time, pre-ordered meals are not available on American Eagle flights.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.

Thanks to MrAndy1369 for starting the thread and for the guidelines.
[COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by ikwia
Quick note -- again today I was on a flight where short rib was advertised but filet was served. Catering done in SAT, FWIW.
Same thing on MIA-SLC last night but reverse

Online menu said filet, on board menu said Short Rib
Old May 26, 2019, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by sgan317
Same thing on MIA-SLC last night but reverse

Online menu said filet, on board menu said Short Rib
Thought I read somewhere the filet was being phased our in favor of the short rib because it gets better reviews.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
Thought I read somewhere the filet was being phased our in favor of the short rib because it gets better reviews.
I certainly enjoy the short rib, but they need to increase the meat to sides ratio. Wish I had it for my upcoming Thursday flight.

I have the option between the Lasagnette and the Grilled Chicken w/lemon artichoke risotto and asparagus with herbed butter. Neither have gotten the best reviews. Any suggestions? I have chicken preordered at the moment, but the previous lasagna dish offered on AA was an enjoyable dish for me...
Old May 27, 2019, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Spanish
I certainly enjoy the short rib, but they need to increase the meat to sides ratio. Wish I had it for my upcoming Thursday flight.

I have the option between the Lasagnette and the Grilled Chicken w/lemon artichoke risotto and asparagus with herbed butter. Neither have gotten the best reviews. Any suggestions? I have chicken preordered at the moment, but the previous lasagna dish offered on AA was an enjoyable dish for me...
The lasagnette looks like chef boyardee......go with Zoes meat plate.
jcatman likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Spanish
I've had the grilled chicken many times. I think it's pretty good.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Is Hindu meal vegetarian?

Have an upcoming sjc-ord flight in F and have ordered the Hindu meal. The agent said it should be vegetarian but wasn't 100% sure.
I know AVML is usually Indian veg, but I have seen examples where some bland food is served instead. Has anyone seen non-veg Hindu
meal being served on a domestic flight?

thanks....
Old May 27, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Originally Posted by unicon
Have an upcoming sjc-ord flight in F and have ordered the Hindu meal. The agent said it should be vegetarian but wasn't 100% sure.
I know AVML is usually Indian veg, but I have seen examples where some bland food is served instead. Has anyone seen non-veg Hindu
thanks....
I have never seen any meat/fish in a AVML, although of lately the quality of these meals has been degraded significantly, now you are going to be served warmed up meals which are below supermarket frozen aisle quality levels. Last year these meals were freshly cooked, not anymore.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by unicon
thanks....
AVML is of course always vegetarian.

Hindu meal is almost always vegetarian but you can look upthread for SFO777's post where, on a flagship F flight, the Hindu meal was a chicken curry. (Unfortunately I tried ordering a Hindu meal on a similar flight and was not so lucky!)

There have been no reports at all of a non-vegetarian Hindu meal on a plain-jane domestic first class flight like SJC-ORD, so I would feel comfortable ordering that and expecting a vegetarian meal even though by rule it doesn't have to be. (Also I would fully expect to get the same meal as AVML as long as it's lunch or dinner -- I was the unfortunate recipient of some bland AVML breakfasts but haven't seen any reports of bland AVML lunches or dinners.)

Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
I have never seen any meat/fish in a AVML, although of lately the quality of these meals has been degraded significantly, now you are going to be served warmed up meals which are below supermarket frozen aisle quality levels. Last year these meals were freshly cooked, not anymore.
The below-supermarket quality comment sounds like quite an exaggeration to me. I've had grocery store indian food and I'd rather have the AA meal. Incidentally, I had an AVML just now on CLT-DEN. It is true that it's a "standardized" meal (I've had the same rice + two on several flights now), but I still find it better than most of the domestic/shorthaul alternatives. The yellow lentils are good, the chickpea/vegetable masala is flavorful... As usual, I recommend taking the butter and melting it into the rice before eating to freshen it up, it really makes a difference and it's just a small pat of butter.

As an added bonus, wife had the Zoe's plate, so we ate bits of each others meals and it worked out very well ^.

Today's AVML:

Old May 28, 2019, 11:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AA 2570 MIA-PHL 1339-1639 767-300

PDB of OJ or Water

Choice of spicy ravioli or grilled chicken salad. I actually like this entree and think it works very well for lunch

Very warm and gooey cookies today
Carfield likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Just to be clear, only SOME of these meals would have been freshly cooked previously, and a lot of people have trouble telling the freshly cooked hot entrees from the frozen ones. LSG in particular has been using frozen meals for purposes like this in my part of the country since the late '00's. The change was to standardize those meals, not the introduction of deep frozen entrees -- that was done over a decade ago.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
Just to be clear, only SOME of these meals would have been freshly cooked previously, and a lot of people have trouble telling the freshly cooked hot entrees from the frozen ones. LSG in particular has been using frozen meals for purposes like this in my part of the country since the late '00's. The change was to standardize those meals, not the introduction of deep frozen entrees -- that was done over a decade ago.
IIRC LSG SkyChefs has a frozen food facility in Pittsburgh, PA and has for at least 10 years or so, again if I remember properly. A Flight Attendant (I know not exactly the best source of info) said that even the Zoes meals are previously frozen and she says most customers seem to enjoy them over the two offered entrees. She did have one that had not properly thawed by serving time and she did write it up, it was that improperly thawed meals which made her aware that they were previously frozen to begin with.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
JFK-LAX 9AM departure, FC Breakfast. I had the eggs which were meh and the fruit plate which was actually quite good. The chocolate croissants were also pretty good!

Old May 30, 2019, 11:07 pm

AA 1297 LAX-MIA Flagship First Class (3 Class F) May 2019

May 2019
American Airlines Flagship First
AA 1297 Los Angeles to Miami

Glass salt & pepper shakers were featured on this flight

Lunch
Menu
Today’s menu selections are inspired by acclaimed restaurateur, Sam Choy.

Small Plates
Seared Tuna
Peruvian bean salad, cilantro lime vinaigrette, lemon aioli
Or
Goat Cheese Croquette
Apple Waldorf salad, caramelized walnuts

Soup
Butternut Squash Soup
Shaved coconut

Salad
Mixed Baby Greens

Your choice of
White balsamic chive dressing

Or
Balsamic vinaigrette

Assorted gourmet breads will be served with your meal

Main Plates
Lamb Cutlets
Pistachio pesto crust, mustard herb crust, forbidden rice, fresh greens
Or
Grain and Greens bowl
Fresh greens, farro, baby beets, carrot, cucumber, zucchini, goat cheese, almonds
turmeric rubbed chicken available upon request
Or
Seafood Medley
Shrimp, scallops, halibut, salmon, purple potatoes, baby fennel, dill saffron broth

Salmon

Halibut

Prawns & Scallops

Or
Vegetable Thai Green Curry
Jasmine rice

Dessert
Traditional Ice Cream Sundae
Vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, butterscotch, seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream, chopped pecans

Gourmet Cheese Board
Smoked Gouda, aged white cheddar, jalapeño pepper jack, medjool dates, strawberries, grapes

Warm Upside-Down Toffee Jackfruit Cake
Caramel sauce, vanilla ice cream

Irish Cream Mousse Cake
Flaky butter crust

Light Refreshment
Offered prior to arrival

Snacks
Selection of premium snacks

Christie Cookie Co
Chocolate Chunk or Snickerdoodle Cookies
Warmed on Board

Wine List
Bubbles
Castelnau Brut Reserve Champagne, France

Rose
My Essential French Rose Mediterranee, France

White Wine
Joseph Drouhin Saint Veran, France
J. Hofstatter Pinot Bianco Alto Adige, Italy

Red Wines
Black Stallion Estate Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, California
Starmont Pinot Noir Carneros, California

Dessert Wine
Quinta Do Noval LBV Port, Portugal

3Cls, First, LAX/SFO-JFK/MIA, Lunch-Snack
73PM003 05/19 100F002-3
work2fly and apeortdz like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:08 pm

AA 1297 LAX-MIA Business/2 Class First Class May 2019

May 2019
American Airlines Flagship Business [Also Two-Class First Class]
AA 1297 Los Angeles to Miami

Lunch
Menu
Today’s menu selections are inspired by acclaimed restaurateur, Sam Choy.

Small Plate
Tomato Goat Cheese Strata
Pickled ginger vinaigrette

Salad
Baby Gem
Pomegranate, yellow cauliflower, carrot
Your choice of tarragon lemon dressing or balsamic vinaigrette

Assorted gourmet breads will be served with your meal

Main Plates
Barbecued Short Rib
Romanesco, fingerling potatoes, baby leek, blistered tomato, Southern-style barbecued sauce
Or
Asian-Style Chicken
Jasmine rice, Asian vegetable medley, snow peas, toasted sesame seeds, marsala shiitake sauce
Or
Grain and Greens bowl
Red rice, sorghum, boiled egg, turkey bacon, cucumber, tomato, onion, blue cheese, ranch dressing
Or
Vegetarian Cremini Bolognese
Spaghetti squash, basil oil, shaved Parmesan

Dessert
Traditional Ice Cream Sundae
Vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, butterscotch, seasonal berry toppings, whipped cream, pecans

Fruit and Cheese
Kindred Creamery sharp cheddar, smoked Gouda, Appalachian, grapes

Irish Cream Mousse Cake
Flaky butter crust

Light Refreshment
Offered prior to arrival

Snacks
Selection of premium snacks

Christie Cookie Co
Chocolate Chunk or Snickerdoodle Cookies
Warmed on Board

Wine List
Bubbles
Casa Gheller Brut Treviso, Italy

White Wine
La Tulipe Chardonnay Pay D’OC, France
Nessa Albariño Rías Baixas, Spain

Red Wines
Imagery Cabernet Sauvignon, California
Cote Mas Grenache-Syrah-Mourvedre Pays D’OC

2Cls, First, LAX-MIA, Lunch-Snack
73PM008 05/19 200C007-3
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: WN Companion Pass/AA Plat Admirals Club/SQ Solitaire
PHX-KOA. Not only does the plane suck but the food looks like the food does too!

Dinner meals

• Choose later Choose later
  • Shrimp with Red Panang Curry Shrimp with Red Panang Curry
    With bamboo rice
  • Spinach and Ricotta Cheese Raviolini Spinach and Ricotta Cheese Raviolini
    with roasted onion calabrian chili sauce
I would no option for a Zoe's platter

Looks like I will be eating sides and drinking heavily!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.