Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles

Introduction
Please post your meal/service experiences on both AA and US domestic flights. This can include menus, photos, questions, and service anecdotes. Just follow the same format as the older AA Domestic meals thread, while of course, doing it your style.

As of 9/1, AA and US had combined meal service to be identical across both carriers, hence the creation of this thread to supersede other meal/service discussion threads. When you share your meal reports, please clearly indicate whether the report was on an AA or US flight. To help give us a clear picture of your experience, remember to include routes, times, meal designation (breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack/refreshments/none), and if you want, seat number. Photos are #awesomesauce and will pop! Those are guidelines, but of course, the format/style is all yours. Of course, discussion of improvements and/or cutbacks, questions, and thoughts are also welcome. I've created a Wiki attached to this thread with the latest information on the new combined meal policy, and will update the Wiki to reflect any changes in service standards or parameters. If you want to edit the Wiki, feel free to do so, within reason.

Links
  • Preordering on AA - link
  • AA Meal Service - link
  • US Meal Service - link
  • 2015 AA International Meals Discussion - link
  • 2014 AA International Meals discussion - link

Historical Threads
Want to scroll down memory lane? Help yourselves!

pmAA Meal Discussion:
  • 2014 (pre-9/1) - link
  • 2013 - link
  • 2012 - link
  • 2011 - link
  • 2010 - link
  • 2009 (combined Domestic and International) - link

While discussions regarding pmUS meal service has not been as elaborate, those threads below are relevant enough:
  • 2011 Changes to F - link
  • DineFresh; In'tl Premium Meals - link
  • Glassware now in first - link
  • Pictures of food on US - link
  • US Domestic First; no meals <3.5 hours - link

Bon appétit!

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 1, 2015 at 2:11 pm Reason: housekeeping
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
I want pictures of these "savory and tasty" coach-belonging snack baskets. Id take them myself but I'm deployed with the reserves.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Exclamation

AA 1083: BOS-ORD 06:00am

First report from 9/1 - pmAA BOS ORD 6am flight. I don't take this service very often so I can't comment on what's different in the choices. All in all, did not seem like any substantive change to be concerned about for this particular flight - that being said, I often take the reverse ORD BOS at 7am, and the usual option there is the tiny yogurt cup with fruit. This is definitely a more substantial meal, but do not know if that's an upgrade or was the norm.

Options were:
-Omelette
-Oatmeal of some sort

Presentation was in all-new dishes - they are deeper, more casserole style, than the old plates. 3 dishes presented on the tray - one of the main, one for the fruit bowl (orange slice, 1 slice each cantaloupe and honeydew, grapes, strawberry). Bread basket was the biscuit from before and a bagel type thing.
A new tray liner (thatched/wicker graphic) adds a little bit of pop to the tray.

Water/juice glasses are the same style as before but now have the AA logo. Tea cups have been changed and are noticeably (33%+) smaller in diameter.

Sorry I didn't take a pic - will try do do it on my connecting ORD-SEA.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Pre-9/1, shorter breakfast flights, such as ORD-BOS, were coded as Continental Breakfast - receiving the yogurt cup with fruit. Looks like a full breakfast is now being served.

Thanks for sharing! I look forward to your ORD-SEA report, possibly with pictures too

Originally Posted by DWFI

First report from 9/1 - I often take the reverse ORD BOS at 7am, and the usual option there is the tiny yogurt cup with fruit. This is definitely a more substantial meal, but do not know if that's an upgrade or was the norm.

Options were:
-Omelette
-Oatmeal of some sort
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
AA1628: ORD-SEA 8:25am

Menu options appear to be the same as the last flight:
-Steel cut oatmeal
-Cheese omelette

No nuts as is the norm for breakfast flights.
And sure enough, the tray is absolutely identical to my BOS-ORD, with the exception of pineapple instead of strawberry in the fruit bowl.
The bread basket now is a roll or (the same one as the lunch rolls) or biscuit.

So BOS-ORD is an upgrade, ORD-SEA is roughly the same. But zero variety.

update: there is a "snack" service as well that consists of that disgusting package of pretzels/snack mix that they serve SFO-LAX.

Last edited by DWFI; Sep 1, 2014 at 11:52 am
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage, CK, 4 MM; Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by DWFI

First report from 9/1 - pmAA BOS ORD 6am flight. I don't take this service very often so I can't comment on what's different in the choices. All in all, did not seem like any substantive change to be concerned about for this particular flight - that being said, I often take the reverse ORD BOS at 7am, and the usual option there is the tiny yogurt cup with fruit. This is definitely a more substantial meal, but do not know if that's an upgrade or was the norm.

Options were:
-Omelette
-Oatmeal of some sort

Presentation was in all-new dishes - they are deeper, more casserole style, than the old plates. 3 dishes presented on the tray - one of the main, one for the fruit bowl (orange slice, 1 slice each cantaloupe and honeydew, grapes, strawberry). Bread basket was the biscuit from before and a bagel type thing.
A new tray liner (thatched/wicker graphic) adds a little bit of pop to the tray.

Water/juice glasses are the same style as before but now have the AA logo. Tea cups have been changed and are noticeably (33%+) smaller in diameter.

Sorry I didn't take a pic - will try do do it on my connecting ORD-SEA.
No more hot muffins?? Wow, very disappointing.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
AA 1151:AUS-DFW 1:25pm

Snack basket with...
Kettle Sea Salt Potato Chips
Pretzels
Fig Bar
Pepperidge Farm Dark Chocolate Milano cookies (package of two)
Dibella Petite Pistachio Cranberry Biscotti

FA made a second pass with a full basket.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Currently in first on AA 260 MKE-DFW. Just had a run in with the snack basket and it wasn't pretty. I grabbed a miniscule tomato pesto sandwich that tasted as bad as it looked. I don't like to complain a lot but this was a really pathetic offering for first class. AA should just save themselves the trouble and money and not offer anything. I know their previous first class meal service wasn't always great but it was still fairly edible and I felt like I got a decent value for the money I paid. Just last month I had a fairly enjoyable chicken marsala on this same flight. American is really going downhill in a hurry. When you get taken over by an airline and management team whose stock ticker was "LCC" I guess this is to somewhat be expected though.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL PM
Those tomato slices look sad. And whose bright idea was it to cover only half the bread with the pesto?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Currently on US 1803 PHL-CLT. The usual snack basket. Whatever chardonnay I'm drinking is way better than what I had on four flights last week, though. Don't know if this is a fluke, but I'm hoping it's not.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Stripe
AA 1151:AUS-DFW 1:25pm

Snack basket with...
Kettle Sea Salt Potato Chips
Pretzels
Fig Bar
Pepperidge Farm Dark Chocolate Milano cookies (package of two)
Dibella Petite Pistachio Cranberry Biscotti

FA made a second pass with a full basket.
That's the basket I'm used to on US. The fig bar is decent, if you're into those, as are the Milanos. Often there is some variance, and occasionally fruit or sandwiches earlier in the day.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
I like pesto. I like ciabatta (at least I think that's what that tiny bread product is supposed to be). I even like sun dried tomatoes. Assuming they use quality ingredients, and it is served fresh, this could be a great snack on a 50 minute CR7 hop. However, on a 2+ hour mainline flight, this is not acceptable as a meal substitute. And if it tastes as bad as it looks in that photo, then it's not acceptable in any circumstance.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by socalduck
I like pesto. I like ciabatta (at least I think that's what that tiny bread product is supposed to be). I even like sun dried tomatoes. Assuming they use quality ingredients, and it is served fresh, this could be a great snack on a 50 minute CR7 hop. However, on a 2+ hour mainline flight, this is not acceptable as a meal substitute. And if it tastes as bad as it looks in that photo, then it's not acceptable in any circumstance.
They will only be available on flights 700 miles or longer.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by smuDC-10
Currently in first on AA 260 MKE-DFW. Just had a run in with the snack basket and it wasn't pretty. I grabbed a miniscule tomato pesto sandwich that tasted as bad as it looked. I don't like to complain a lot but this was a really pathetic offering for first class.

That is disgraceful. What bean counter could possibly think that might be acceptable?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Originally Posted by TXguy
Quote:
They will only be available on flights 700 miles or longer.
To paraphrase SMI/J, this is not a change I will like.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.