FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Combined 2019 AA Domestic Meal, Meals, menu / photos / etc. (master thread)
Old May 27, 2019, 4:09 pm
platbrownguy

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by unicon
Have an upcoming sjc-ord flight in F and have ordered the Hindu meal. The agent said it should be vegetarian but wasn't 100% sure.
I know AVML is usually Indian veg, but I have seen examples where some bland food is served instead. Has anyone seen non-veg Hindu
meal being served on a domestic flight?
thanks....
AVML is of course always vegetarian.

Hindu meal is almost always vegetarian but you can look upthread for SFO777's post where, on a flagship F flight, the Hindu meal was a chicken curry. (Unfortunately I tried ordering a Hindu meal on a similar flight and was not so lucky!)

There have been no reports at all of a non-vegetarian Hindu meal on a plain-jane domestic first class flight like SJC-ORD, so I would feel comfortable ordering that and expecting a vegetarian meal even though by rule it doesn't have to be. (Also I would fully expect to get the same meal as AVML as long as it's lunch or dinner -- I was the unfortunate recipient of some bland AVML breakfasts but haven't seen any reports of bland AVML lunches or dinners.)

Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
I have never seen any meat/fish in a AVML, although of lately the quality of these meals has been degraded significantly, now you are going to be served warmed up meals which are below supermarket frozen aisle quality levels. Last year these meals were freshly cooked, not anymore.
The below-supermarket quality comment sounds like quite an exaggeration to me. I've had grocery store indian food and I'd rather have the AA meal. Incidentally, I had an AVML just now on CLT-DEN. It is true that it's a "standardized" meal (I've had the same rice + two on several flights now), but I still find it better than most of the domestic/shorthaul alternatives. The yellow lentils are good, the chickpea/vegetable masala is flavorful... As usual, I recommend taking the butter and melting it into the rice before eating to freshen it up, it really makes a difference and it's just a small pat of butter.

As an added bonus, wife had the Zoe's plate, so we ate bits of each others meals and it worked out very well ^.

Today's AVML: