Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ferni
I've read the wiki and the last 10 pages or so... I have an MLE-xAUH-MEL itinerary on hold, unfortunately the AA callcentre can't see F on AUH-MEL leg even though EF is showing O2 and EY website shows guest seat available.

I did the booking on the Australian number, and have called back a 2nd time to get them to check again, but they can't see F seats on AUH-MEL for my date and the 3 dates before, but can for the day after. All dates are showing 2 F Award seats on EF and EY Website.

Any tricks/tips to help get these AUH-MEL booked into the F i can see available?

Update: I called again with some different dates where i could see availability, and same problem. she said yes, but as soon as she grabbed the MLE-AUH seat in F, then she couldn't add the AUH-MEL leg in F (but could in J).

If added the MLE-AUH leg in J then she could add the AUH-MEL leg in F (exact same flights both times)....

Anyone have any ideas? otherwise i'm going to have to 'put up' with MLE-AUH in J for the same price.

She confirmed she could book the 2 legs separate but would be 100K + 40K instead of 100k all the way
Suggests a married sector restriction to me - if checking the EY website for AUH-MEL rather than individual sectors, what did it show?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Suggests a married sector restriction to me - if checking the EY website for AUH-MEL rather than individual sectors, what did it show?
AUH-MEL is the individual sector I suspect you meant MLE-MEL? if so it doesn't show anything. I didn't think it would be married sectors since they have no problems booking it as mixed J/F... Normally married sectors wouldn't be restricted only by class would it?

Is there anyway around this or should i just settle for J/F?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AUH-MEL is the individual sector I suspect you meant MLE-MEL? if so it doesn't show anything. I didn't think it would be married sectors since they have no problems booking it as mixed J/F... Normally married sectors wouldn't be restricted only by class would it?

Is there anyway around this or should i just settle for J/F?
I did mean MLE-MEL
That there is no availability showing for MLE-MEL would be consistent with what the agents are stating

Married sectors are vey much by class. You are needing the 1st class inventory for MLE-MEL via AUH. when searching for MLE-MEL, there could be inventory in different cabins

That there is O available from MLE-AUH and separately from AUH-MEL doesn't mean that O is necessarily available for MLE-MEL via AUH. That O is unavailable doesn't mean that I cannot be available
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I did mean MLE-MEL
That there is no availability showing for MLE-MEL would be consistent with what the agents are stating

Married sectors are vey much by class. You are needing the 1st class inventory for MLE-MEL via AUH. when searching for MLE-MEL, there could be inventory in different cabins

That there is O available from MLE-AUH and separately from AUH-MEL doesn't mean that O is necessarily available for MLE-MEL via AUH. That O is unavailable doesn't mean that I cannot be available
Ok thank you. Interesting why they would do that, marry the O to I... I wonder if I tried to book with VA if they would have the same problem (but i'm avoiding them as it will be 900AUD taxes one way per person vs 100AUD with AA).

Sounds like i'll have to suck it up and take the MLE-AUH in J

For what it's worth I had no problems booking MEL-xAUH-MLE in F as a single ticket
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by pbd456
booked nrt auh doh ebl amm cai in fjjjj on ey ey qr rj rj as one award.
As you may have heard, flights between doh and auh (amongst others) have been shutdown until further notice, so depending on when your flights were for you may want to reconsider this booking
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:05 am

Ok thank you. Interesting why they would do that, marry the O to I... I wonder if I tried to book with VA if they would have the same problem (but i'm avoiding them as it will be 900AUD taxes one way per person vs 100AUD with AA).

Sounds like i'll have to suck it up and take the MLE-AUH in J

For what it's worth I had no problems booking MEL-xAUH-MLE in F as a single ticket
So I gave it another call tonight. I could see FS2 on AUH-SYD so thought I'd try that... Aussie number said he could only see 1 F seat, i asked him to book that for me on my PNR, he did, i saw it go to FS- (no O seats) then I asked him humor me and try and book wife on same AUH-SYD in F even though he said there was only 1 seat to start with, surprise he actually got another seat.

So now I have MLE-AUH-SYD in F all the way, but another roadblock is he couldn't add SYD-MEL on QF to get me home to MEL. He could only see morning flights (11AM latest which would misconnect) despite there being availability for all QF flights on AA website later in the day. He confirmed he could see the SYD-MEL award if he did a new booking, but couldn't add it to my EY booking so said it would be an extra 20k to get the SYD-MEL.

Any way around this or am i stuck with booking myself home from SYD?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:00 am

With the current Qatar fiasco is it possible that Etihad will start cancelling already booked award tickets using AA miles because they will now have huge traffic for paid tickets?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stivelio
With the current Qatar fiasco is it possible that Etihad will start cancelling already booked award tickets using AA miles because they will now have huge traffic for paid tickets?
Not something I'd expect at all.

This is a large, unwieldy and emerging issue, will take a while to get a good picture of what it all means.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Stivelio
Improbable scenario -- about as likely as that of seeing Rudolph the red-nose reindeer flying just outside the window of an EY flight over Saudi Arabia.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:23 pm

I have two F class tickets (my wife and I) from AUH to SFO. I'm planning to call and pick my seats soon. Is it worth it to take the center 2 seats as a couple? It does seem convenient but having a window seat would be nice too.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by captainamerica
I have two F class tickets (my wife and I) from AUH to SFO. I'm planning to call and pick my seats soon. Is it worth it to take the center 2 seats as a couple? It does seem convenient but having a window seat would be nice too.
Absolutely, we've done both and prefer 2DG which has more than enough space. If the cabin is not full that day, ask your FA to make your bed in one of the adjacent unoccupied window seats so you can sample both and be together most of the flight.

Last edited by SFO777; Jun 5, 2017 at 5:26 pm
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by jb831
Data point:
1. Found EY availability on EY website for JFK-AUH-MLE in J
2. Called AA AUS (pressed Option 2: General Reservations). Could only see Y for the JFK-AUH segment (but J for AUH-MLE). No thanks.
3. Hung up, and called AA AUS (pressed Option 3: AAdvantage desk), saw J for both segments and held award.

This is my fourth time in the past 18 months redeeming AA miles for EY premium cabin -- and this is the first time I've encountered AA AUS not being able to see availability (and I never bother with AA US anymore, except to ticket). Fortunately, good ol' HUCA fixed that issue!
AA USA had no issues at all seeing BKK-AUH-MLE in J for me today. F is still elusive in the USA.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA, Latam, Delta, AA
The CC will see the same amount of pts that I see under EY's website, correct?

I'm finding JFK-MLE one way for 64k in Guest Economy for one pax...does that seem about right for EY?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:39 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Would an AA award booking on EY that is changed to RJ + EY attract the $150 fee if origin and destination are the still the same?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hightide
Would an AA award booking on EY that is changed to RJ + EY attract the $150 fee if origin and destination are the still the same?
Could depend on a few things, but more than likely, yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.