Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Just booked two first class redemption tickets SYD-AUH-JFK, all on A380. Had to call the Australian number as the US could not see availability.

Total of 430,000 miles but I could not get a business or first sAAver redemption directly from Australia. Since AA wanted 500,000 for AAnytime in business and 600,000 for first, it was a no-brainer.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Point of reference:
1) Saw GuestFirst availability AUH-JFK on EY website
2) Called AA US and they could only see Y availability
3) Called AA AU, pressed option 3 (Advantage) and they could also not see F
4) Called AA AU, pressed option 2 (Res) and they could also not see F

So no luck (yet)
Old May 29, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Gold; PC Plat; SPG Gold; HHonors Gold
Data point:
1. Found EY availability on EY website for JFK-AUH-MLE in J
2. Called AA AUS (pressed Option 2: General Reservations). Could only see Y for the JFK-AUH segment (but J for AUH-MLE). No thanks.
3. Hung up, and called AA AUS (pressed Option 3: AAdvantage desk), saw J for both segments and held award.

This is my fourth time in the past 18 months redeeming AA miles for EY premium cabin -- and this is the first time I've encountered AA AUS not being able to see availability (and I never bother with AA US anymore, except to ticket). Fortunately, good ol' HUCA fixed that issue!
Old May 30, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA G CX S AS G DL PM
AA Etihad Award AUH-SIN-HKG-PEK F

I am veryyyy confused... I called AA Agents(around the globe) several times - some did not see availability at all, and some only have availability for 1 leg etc. I checked on Etihad website - 2 guest seats are wide open, and with HKG-PEK - every single flight has 2 F open according to BA. And more puzzling - some agents priced it as 82.5 K, saying it has to be broken down into 2 legs... This does not exceed MPM, and it does not violate their routing rules. Why are they showing this?
Old May 30, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by b.xiao
I am veryyyy confused... I called AA Agents(around the globe) several times - some did not see availability at all, and some only have availability for 1 leg etc. I checked on Etihad website - 2 guest seats are wide open, and with HKG-PEK - every single flight has 2 F open according to BA. And more puzzling - some agents priced it as 82.5 K, saying it has to be broken down into 2 legs... This does not exceed MPM, and it does not violate their routing rules. Why are they showing this?
The pricing sounds correct. It needs to comply with both AA award routing rules and be a valid routing on a published fare with the MSC. EY flies AUH-PEK therefore I doubt there's a fare that goes AUH-SIN-HKG-PEK even if AA rules allowed.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:39 pm

I agree that its likely to be a no published fare issue with the higher quoted number of miles.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by b.xiao
We have merged your query into the existing thread. Please read the Wikipost for further information regarding booking Etihad award seats with AA miles.

/Moderator
Old May 30, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UR
Honeymoon booked

AUS->DFW AA F
DFW->AUH EY F (77L)
AUH->MLE EY F

Then

MLE->AUH J
AUH->JFK F (A380)
LGA->DFW F
DFW->AUS F

So excited to get to fly the A380! Took a few calls to Australia at midnight CST when award availability released. The 77L was much easier than getting the A380, but it worked out! 460,000 AA miles but will be well worth it.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by tcormier
Honeymoon booked

AUS->DFW AA F
DFW->AUH EY F (77L)
AUH->MLE EY F

Then

MLE->AUH J
AUH->JFK F (A380)
LGA->DFW F
DFW->AUS F

So excited to get to fly the A380! Took a few calls to Australia at midnight CST when award availability released. The 77L was much easier than getting the A380, but it worked out! 460,000 AA miles but will be well worth it.
Congrats! I hope you left yourself a good amount of time to do the JFK-LGA transit (between waiting for baggage at JFK, traffic, and construction at LGA, it could be a long shlepp)
Old May 31, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Data point: I was just able to place on hold SYD-AUH in F for a date later in the fall through calling the regular US-based call center. I gave the agent origin, destination, date, and class of service and she quoted me the availability that matched what EF showed me. Two F on hold while I deal with the other arrangements!
Old May 31, 2017, 3:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
How long does it normally take for you AA award to ticket with EY? I swear my award has been "On request" for almost two weeks now.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PassengerPoldberg
How long does it normally take for you AA award to ticket with EY? I swear my award has been "On request" for almost two weeks now.
If payment was made through the Australian office, then after 72 hours, I would phone back and the agent will get it completed straight away. I never wait beyond the 3 days

At 2 weeks, I would be telephoning and seeing what the problem is
Old May 31, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat
how many points for F redemption LHR to SYD on Etihad

HI
I looked at the AA partner award redemption chart and it says Europe to SWP is 115,000 points LHR SYD one-way in F ...
Called Aadvantage and told will be 162,500 as 2 separate awards needed even though Etihad publish a through fare LHR to SYD
Is this correct?
Have had a look on AA website and not been able to find anything that says this but agent was adamant
I could do on Qatar or Qantas via Doha and Dubai for 115,000 miles ...
Thanks in advance
Old May 31, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EP
Correct. EY would be 2 awards. QF and AqR would be 1 award

Originally Posted by pianoperson
HI
I looked at the AA partner award redemption chart and it says Europe to SWP is 115,000 points LHR SYD one-way in F ...
Called Aadvantage and told will be 162,500 as 2 separate awards needed even though Etihad publish a through fare LHR to SYD
Is this correct?
Have had a look on AA website and not been able to find anything that says this but agent was adamant
I could do on Qatar or Qantas via Doha and Dubai for 115,000 miles ...
Thanks in advance
Old May 31, 2017, 6:25 pm

AA has a few random routing rules for award travel. One is that you can't transit a third region (Middle East) between two regions (Europe & Australia). They also have exceptions though and one is that you can fly that route on QR or European carriers. But not EY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.