Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:49 pm

Need a second opinion on my situation. I'm scheduled to fly in 3 weeks from SFO-JFK-AUH, currently on the JFK-AUH on the Jet Airways plane in first for 2 people. Of course, I'd like to get on the a380, but there are only 2 seats available for purchase. Chances are probably very low that they will release the last 2 seats for award travel, even at the last minute.

Should I switch to the SFO-AUH direct flight? The date I want currently has one seat taken out of 8. Would you just switch to direct and avoid the hassle if the chances are slim to get on the 380? Or should I hold out? Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by hamburglar
Need a second opinion on my situation. I'm scheduled to fly in 3 weeks from SFO-JFK-AUH, currently on the JFK-AUH on the Jet Airways plane in first for 2 people. Of course, I'd like to get on the a380, but there are only 2 seats available for purchase. Chances are probably very low that they will release the last 2 seats for award travel, even at the last minute.

Should I switch to the SFO-AUH direct flight? The date I want currently has one seat taken out of 8. Would you just switch to direct and avoid the hassle if the chances are slim to get on the 380? Or should I hold out? Thanks!
Just wait and continue to check and which ever one opens up, switch to it.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hamburglar

Assuming its booked using AA award and there is no other fee's for change - I would change to the direct for now and if 380 spaces opens up then change again to that one.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by Acid
Assuming its booked using AA award and there is no other fee's for change - I would change to the direct for now and if 380 spaces opens up then change again to that one.
Availability on the transcon segment on AA should also be factored into the equation. SFO-AUH seems to be wide open with not many takers.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:58 pm

Yes switching to sfo direct flight would mean I give up my first seats from sfo to jfk. Not sure if it's worth it?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Originally Posted by JHIN
How far in advance is everyone finding availability? Ive not found anything ex-330 days out in F on the AUH-JFK or AUH-LHR route. Are closer in dates opening easier ala 2-3 weeks before departure?

Could a strategy be when F on the 777 opens to book it and then wait for the A380 to open and move over?
I'm very carefully watching the AUH-LHR route because I'm hoping to book F seats last minute for travel in about a months time. Very flexible, and there are multiple A380s flights each day.

Unfortunately the current last minute trends are that on the whole seats are being released less than 24 hours in advance last minute. There's the odd F seat available in advance but for most flights on this route its sometimes as little as 8-10 hours in advance that it becomes an award which is obviously very difficult to book through partners!

The days I'm looking at next month are lightly loaded flights (F5s, J7s) so I'm hoping EY become a bit more generous. Its very frustrating with how inconsistent they are last minute - I much prefer CX and SQ's reliability!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
#2 is not the case - connections even in the US are allowed for up to 24 hours. The 4 hour rule refers to entirely-domestic itineraries.
Can you show me an itinerary proving this?

I have been trying to replicate it on AA's website, but somehow multi-city search now adds up costs per segment (I didn't think it worked that way before) regardless of whether it falls within the stopover window.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:08 pm

Can anyone provide clarity on when awards can be booked with EY (using AA miles) at the end of the schedule? For instance:
- What time in EST?
- Does it matter about the timezone of the departing flight?
- Is it 330 days or 331 days?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by magnitude
I'm booked on LAX-JFK-AUH-RUH and today I found out that I need to spend a couple of days in AUH. So I want to drop the AUH-RUH segment off of my ticket. I've read that that's allowed per memo from 2011, but I wonder if that applies to to Etihad ticket booked with AA miles. Is that possible?
Originally Posted by magnitude
Yah I just called and was told that I'd have to pay an extra 25k miles based on new award chart. Yah I'm not doing that. It sucks because if I was able to drop the last segment, then I'd qualify for a chauffeur service. No biggie
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Definitely try again at some point, ya never know.
Shouldn't this be allowed, per https://www.flickr.com/photos/54131097@N07/14520915433/

I ask because I have a YYZ-AUH-KHI, KHI-AUH-YYZ award booked, and want to drop the AUH-KHI segment (go elsewhere from AUH, and make my own way to KHI).
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Can you show me an itinerary proving this?

I have been trying to replicate it on AA's website, but somehow multi-city search now adds up costs per segment (I didn't think it worked that way before) regardless of whether it falls within the stopover window.
If you do a multi-city award search on AA.com, you need to put it on hold and then call in and have the rate desk manually reprice it. It's a bug with the AA website.

I have ticketed a literal countless number of awards that have a >4 hour layover in the US before continuing on to an international destination (or vice versa).
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nabeelj
Shouldn't this be allowed, per https://www.flickr.com/photos/54131097@N07/14520915433/

I ask because I have a YYZ-AUH-KHI, KHI-AUH-YYZ award booked, and want to drop the AUH-KHI segment (go elsewhere from AUH, and make my own way to KHI).
While we're seeing a VERY high correlation rate between the pre-deval $150-fee-exempt changes and the changes post-devaluation-- maybe even approaching 100%-- one has to step back a bit and realize that that's exactly what that chart is; $150-fee exempt changes, pre-devaluation.

So, while I'd -assume- you can make that drop-- since it would have been $150-fee-free pre-deval-- and, again, there seems to be a very high correlation in the collective experience-- you'll have to ask again and see, nothing I can offer that you can point to beyond that page, which, quite reasonably, could be dismissed with a "so what-- what is that supposed to prove?" if an agent was so-inclined.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by lewis_saint
Can anyone provide clarity on when awards can be booked with EY (using AA miles) at the end of the schedule? For instance:
- What time in EST?
- Does it matter about the timezone of the departing flight?
- Is it 330 days or 331 days?
Even though EY flights are available to book on AA at the 330 day mark, F availability doesn't always appear concurrently for those flights. Sometimes that may take another 10 to 14 days after the schedule opens.

Last edited by arfaczar; Mar 30, 2016 at 9:28 pm
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop
If you do a multi-city award search on AA.com, you need to put it on hold and then call in and have the rate desk manually reprice it. It's a bug with the AA website.

I have ticketed a literal countless number of awards that have a >4 hour layover in the US before continuing on to an international destination (or vice versa).
Great to know. Would that also work for Canada? Fly to JFK from overseas, head over to YVR on CX, then down to LA?

Last edited by s0ssos; Mar 31, 2016 at 10:29 pm Reason: clarification
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Great to know. Would that also work for Canada? Fly to JFK, head over to YVR on CX, then down to LA?
I am pretty sure that this would not be permiited.

CX has no rights to offer purely domestic journeys ( which JFK-LAX would be ) plus also has no fares listed for JFK-LAX

I could only see that working as 2 awards for JFK-YVR and another for YVR-LAX
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by arfaczar
Even though EY flights are available to book on AA at the 330 day mark, F availability doesn't always appear concurrently for those flights. Sometimes that may take another 10 to 14 days after the schedule opens.
Thanks. I'm only looking for J though. Know what time the awards get released at EST?
(For F awards, I see they are only releasing seats on the 777).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.