Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by arabiamark
I'm also wondering if there's a good time to call so that I can get connected to Fiji. I just called around 7 am US East Coast time and I got Trinidad.
If you just read posts upthread (oh, say , just one or two months worth), you will notice that this question has been asked multiple times and answered.

EY award seats using AA is one of the last remaining "bargain" and hence people are putting up with this "odd" situation.
(No unethical fuel surcharge, nor ridiculous airport fees just to make connection)
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
I have had NZ see availability that Australia couldn't. Not sure how it happens but it definitely has for me.
Most likely, your AU call was answered by Brisbane itself without needing to overflow it to Fiji whereas your NZ call got routed to Fiji.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by NightTripper
(apologies if this has been answered upthread)

AUH-SEZ showing 2 biz award seats on most dates (aircraft 32A, so should be 16 seats total). Anyone have experience if EY will release additional award seats after the initial 2 are booked? and if yes, timing of release of additional award seats?

I am trying to get family of four to the islands.
EY is no different from any other airline in this regard. Have you been able to predict when other airlines release additional seats in J (especially when total capacity is as small as 16 seats)?

In fact, if you put on hold and then release them, it is quite possible that even those will never revert back to award inventory.

Award seats with most airlines do not work the way Southwest works or how Pan Am used to work.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Is CMB-AUH-LHR-SEA or Cmb-AUH-LHR-JFK-SEA a valid Routing? Or two separate awards?
I know with certainty that both routes are bookable as single award subject to seat availability.

The first will require booking LHR-SEA on BA which may not make sense due to BA's ridiculous surcharges.
But you can certainly do routing via ORD or PHL or RDU or CLT or DFW or PHX to make it all on AA metal ( subject to availability and your ability to handle layovers)

The second one is of course doable provided you get seats and conections.

However, if your intention is to travel from CMB to SEA, there are many more cheaper (in terms of airport taxes - avoid LHR) and easier to book options available
(Hint: Both AA and EY fly to many european cities other than LHR where this nonsense of having to call Fiji can be avoided)

Also, OT for this thread but have you checked out Srilankan Airways?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: UA Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by desi
EY is no different from any other airline in this regard. Have you been able to predict when other airlines release additional seats in J (especially when total capacity is as small as 16 seats)?.
When I took the family of four to Thailand last year, the intel on Thai Airways was that if you booked the two J seats available, they would often release two additional. So I booked the two J seats, they released two more nearly instantly, and I booked those J seats also.

So yes sir/madam - I have been able to predict this, based entirely on the help from the FT community familiar with the process. Which is why I posed the same question in this forum.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by desi
Two possibilities:
a) (low probability) Your call was routed to Mindpearl overflow center
b) (most likely case) There are indeed some seats (even in J) that are indeed bookable by AA US centers (for example, FCO-AUH or AMS-AUH or MAN-AUH or DUB-AUH and yes, even some JFK-AUH and LHR-AUH) It is just that full inventory of Etihad Guest tix is not seem by AA portal
I had called in the past with no luck on the AUH-JFK flight. This time was different as the agent was able to see 100% the same stuff as I could see on EY's website.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by NightTripper
When I took the family of four to Thailand last year, the intel on Thai Airways was that if you booked the two J seats available, they would often release two additional. So I booked the two J seats, they released two more nearly instantly, and I booked those J seats also.

So yes sir/madam - I have been able to predict this, based entirely on the help from the FT community familiar with the process. Which is why I posed the same question in this forum.
Yep, it was well known on the Cathay forum that they'd release OW inventory on Sunday nights at 10pm Eastern time.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Now that I've secured the JFK-AUH flights, I intend to ask AA to split the reservation and tack on an award flight from ORD for my wife and for me from SFO. (Surprisingly, award availability looks decent, though not for the non-stop SFO-JFK.) I've done something like this before on this kind of AA/EY award booking, but am still a bit nervous about messing up the entire reservation while making this change, in view of the whole challenge of booking EY awards via AA these days. If anyone has any advice about avoiding pitfalls, I'd welcome it.
Why do you want AA to split the record? Are you and your wife going to be on different flights? At any rate, it shouldn't mess up your EY flights. Couldn't hurt to confirm with the AA agent that the EY flights won't be touched, but shouldn't be necessary either.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I also was able to book separate AUH-NBO tickets in J (no F on that route) for the day following our AUH arrival. I tried seeing whether JFK-AUH and AUH-NBO could be combined into one ticket to see whether this might save AA miles and because reportedly a single ticket gets you access to the AUH F lounge for the ongoing J flight (though this turns out to be less relevant to us since we have to overnight in AUH anyway), but to no avail.
Why not? It shouldn't be a problem to add extra flights onto an existing award, without altering the existing flights.

Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
The leading AA segment might be a problem, though. With some airlines, we've been successful checking in separately for down-stream segments by using a "find my booking" type of search that allows you to enter name, confirmation # and departure city (skipping right to the first EY segment, for example). Unfortunately, Etihad.com doesn't have that function as far as I can tell.
Much easier thing to try is to call AA and ask for the EY PNR, then go to the EY web site and use their online checkin with the EY PNR.

Originally Posted by LizGross144
Called in last night to book an MSN>ORD (AA) ORD>AUH>CAI (EY) business award, 329 days out. Agent saw the space just fine, and call was over in 10 minutes. Reservation ticketed within 2 hours. Best $33 I've spent in awhile.
To clarify, you called AA's U.S. number?

Originally Posted by happy10345
So it appears the US AA call centers do now have some ability to see J seats for the summer timeframe on EY.
Good to read.

Originally Posted by acell
I saved up over 100K AA points, and just now read that in the news that "AA is ending code-share agreement with Etihad in March 2018". Can someone tell me if it is still possible to book tickets to and from the US after March?

Im looking to fly AUH-ORD April 28th , i see award availabilty on EY site, would AA be able to reserves this for me after this "codeshare agreement expiration"?
Codeshares only apply to revenue flights. Award bookings never use codeshares.

Originally Posted by happy10345
I booked J tickets this week using the US call center....so at least one example of not needing to call Australia or NZ.
For which flights dates? How far out matters.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
Why do you want AA to split the record? Are you and your wife going to be on different flights? At any rate, it shouldn't mess up your EY flights. Couldn't hurt to confirm with the AA agent that the EY flights won't be touched, but shouldn't be necessary either.
Thanks for your useful series of questions and comments, including in response to my own post. To answer your question: Yes, my wife and I will be starting out from different places (ORD for her, SFO for me) on AA before meeting in JFK for the rest of the trip on EY. So that's why I assume AA will need to split the record. Thanks for the assurance re the EY flights not being touched, though I'll also take the advice of checking this with the AA CSR.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:12 pm

Here's a new one for me.
AUH-DEL on EY218 in J, available on etihad.com and visible on expertflyer, not visible to AA NZ.
But a different flight on the same day is.

Whatta?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'm appreciating all of the diverse data points being offered here, and hope they continue so that we or other FT members can have a better chance of securing these EY premium seats. But I wonder if much (though certainly not all) of this leads us to that standard, solid FT advice: Hang up and call again.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:27 am

I was just successful at booking 2 seats in J from AUH-JFK for November 24, 2018. Expert Flyer was showing the availability. Called U.S. Platinum number and that agent could NOT see the award availability. Then called the Trinidad AA number and that agent was able to book it right away.

Thanks to Flyertalk, I knew to call the Trinidad number. For anyone interested, that number is 246-428-4170.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by lizakramer
I was just successful at booking 2 seats in J from AUH-JFK for November 24, 2018. Expert Flyer was showing the availability. Called U.S. Platinum number and that agent could NOT see the award availability. Then called the Trinidad AA number and that agent was able to book it right away.

Thanks to Flyertalk, I knew to call the Trinidad number. For anyone interested, that number is 246-428-4170.
off-topic, but isn't 246 area code Barbados, not T&T?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by stevento
Here's a new one for me.
AUH-DEL on EY218 in J, available on etihad.com and visible on expertflyer, not visible to AA NZ.
But a different flight on the same day is.

Whatta?
Seeing something similar. Each time I have had to book EY flights (1-2 times each year) the etihad.com guest level availability equals visibility for AA agents (on Australia/NZ call centers that now get routed to Carribean call centers) to book. But now I have a data point that disapproved it .... etihad.com showing AUH to LAX in business on 2/11/2018 with 6 seats available at guest level awards. But the agents in the carribean not able to see it.

Its going to be a bummer if we cannot rely on etihad.com or even paid services like expertflyer to reliably search availability and have to rely on the crapshoot of which AA center we talk to and all factors that influence availability visibility on their end.

BTW, what is the recent observations on the 30 day window? Are more business and first seats being made available within 30 days of travel to AA and also within that window do the US based call centers see the same?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by lizakramer
Thanks very much for the concise, detailed report ^. I appreciate that you noted the class and the flight date and the results of calling US and Trinidad!

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
off-topic, but isn't 246 area code Barbados, not T&T?
246 is the country code, not the area code (so it's +​​​​​​​246-428-4170).

NOTE: For the current thread, see here.

Last edited by JDiver; May 13, 2019 at 9:17 am Reason: Add moderator referral note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.