Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Old Jan 1, 17, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Arrow ARCHIVE: 2017 "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

3 Jan AA 253 LAX-OGG I don't have access to EF and wondering how many seats in F are available? Through AA looks like 3.

Originally booked 4 months ago and requested 500-mile upgrade. Slight schedule change gave me the ability to change to an earlier flight (which I confirmed today). Upgrade request fell off (as it often does with changes) so requested it again. So, did I fall way off the upgrade priority list? May be moot point anyway as the F cabin looks tight on most flights this week but figured I'd check.

For the current thread please click or press here.

Last edited by JDiver; May 24, 19 at 8:50 am Reason: Add Moderator note
Old Jan 1, 17, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MauiOC View Post
3 Jan AA 253 LAX-OGG I don't have access to EF and wondering how many seats in F are available? Through AA looks like 3.

Originally booked 4 months ago and requested 500-mile upgrade. Slight schedule change gave me the ability to change to an earlier flight (which I confirmed today). Upgrade request fell off (as it often does with changes) so requested it again. So, did I fall way off the upgrade priority list? May be moot point anyway as the F cabin looks tight on most flights this week but figured I'd check.
Currently: F3 A0 P2 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 W7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7
Old Jan 1, 17, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG, RC
Happy New Year to all. I've read the wiki above and it seems to indicate that 500 mile upgrade resets January 31st. However I just took a look at my account and I've actually lost all my 500 mile upgrades. I tried calling AA and was told it reset January 1st. Can anyone say if they have experienced the same. I should probably add that I have plat stat paid to maintain it till 2018.
Old Jan 1, 17, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TravelPenguin View Post
Happy New Year to all. I've read the wiki above and it seems to indicate that 500 mile upgrade resets January 31st. However I just took a look at my account and I've actually lost all my 500 mile upgrades. I tried calling AA and was told it reset January 1st. Can anyone say if they have experienced the same. I should probably add that I have plat stat paid to maintain it till 2018.
The upgrades never expire, even if you lose status you just can't use them. The EQM counter for earning them resets at the end of February this year and January in future years.
Old Jan 1, 17, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
The upgrades never expire, even if you lose status you just can't use them.....
Well that sucks!! This is my first time having any said status with AA.

Not to long ago I found out that soft landings are no longer being offered by AA too. So, if I don't make any status in 2017, I've all of these vouchers I'd have to gift to people or let them age in my account until I get status again.

Well, I guess I've been incentivised to making AA my airline for 2017 at least.
Old Jan 2, 17, 5:41 am

Programs: AA-PLT
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc View Post

Not to long ago I found out that soft landings are no longer being offered by AA too. So, if I don't make any status in 2017, I've all of these vouchers I'd have to gift to people or let them age in my account until I get status again.

Sorry, but you can't gift them either - they are nontransferable. If you have no status, the stickers have zero value. They will hang out in your account for use should you ever regain status, but there is no way to use them if you do not.
Old Jan 2, 17, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc View Post

You would have to do that to use the stickers anyway! Can you do a challenge and then try to burn them up?
Old Jan 2, 17, 10:33 am

Thanks MADPhil! Then something is totally screwed up. My 500 Mile upgrades have been wiped out. Called again today and was told that though I am still Plat status the 500 mile upgrades were indeed removed. Agent said he can't help me figure it out as advantage desk is currently closed for holidays. Called back hour later same response. Should add my hubby's are also gone and he is far far off from losing status.

Last edited by TravelPenguin; Jan 2, 17 at 12:57 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 2, 17, 12:23 pm

Thanks MADPhil! Then something is totally screwed up. My 500 Mike upgrades have been wiped out. Called again today and was told that though I am still Plat status the 500 mile upgrades were indeed removed. Agent said he can't help me figure it out as advantage desk is currently closed for holidays. Called back hour later same response. Should add my hubby's are also gone and he is far far off from losing status.
It doesn't help you much but mine (no status) and my wife's (GLD) are intact so it's not a general wipe out. The agent is correct that there is no AAdvantage service on weekends and holidays or outside weekday working hours.
Old Jan 2, 17, 1:09 pm

Red face

MADPhil, it does at least lets me know its a glitch and incorrect that they are gone. I thought being Monday and back to work as usual for some that the aadvantage desk would have been open today but I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow or Wednesday to figure out what happened.

Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
It doesn't help you much but mine (no status) and my wife's (GLD) are intact so it's not a general wipe out. The agent is correct that there is no AAdvantage service on weekends and holidays or outside weekday working hours.
Old Jan 2, 17, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks MADPhil! Then something is totally screwed up. My 500 Mile upgrades have been wiped out. Called again today and was told that though I am still Plat status the 500 mile upgrades were indeed removed. Agent said he can't help me figure it out as advantage desk is currently closed for holidays. Called back hour later same response. Should add my hubby's are also gone and he is far far off from losing status.
You can be 100% assured that it is a temporary glitch and that neither of you has lost any of your 500-milers in any way.
Old Jan 3, 17, 7:44 pm

Thank you JonNYC and you are 100% correct! Not sure what happened but without even calling today all looked well again in our accounts.

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
You can be 100% assured that it is a temporary glitch and that neither of you has lost any of your 500-milers in any way.
Old Jan 4, 17, 1:59 pm

I have 30 500-mile upgrades but lose all status on March 1, 2017

deleted because of thread nazis

Last edited by DCAAA; Jan 4, 17 at 2:06 pm
Old Jan 4, 17, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DCAAA View Post
Can I still request upgrades as no-status? What happens to my 500-mile upgrade balance is the answer is no, does it just stay frozen until I reach elite status again? I was a long-time Platinum/CP on US that has been disillusioned post-merger.
Your 500 mile upgrades remain in your account indefinitely. However, you can no longer use them with no status.
Old Jan 4, 17, 2:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
We'll merge this with our 500-mile upgrade thread for further discussion. Thank. /Moderator

Search this Thread