Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
When I search the Etihad Guest website for individual availability on 11/24 MLE-AUH for 2 in J it's available in 'EithadGuest'. When I search for 2 J seats on 11/25 connecting to AUH-JFK for the 3:30am (EY 103) it shows no 'Etihad Guest.'

However, when I search MLE-JFK for 2 in J on 11/24 it shows 'EtihadGuest' as available for those exact same flights. Called AA Australia, but agent says that EY103 (AUH-JFK) isn't available. Is it because the agent was searching the segments individually as opposed to together MLE-JFK?

Any way to book this?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
When I search the Etihad Guest website for individual availability on 11/24 MLE-AUH for 2 in J it's available in 'EithadGuest'. When I search for 2 J seats on 11/25 connecting to AUH-JFK for the 3:30am (EY 103) it shows no 'Etihad Guest.'

However, when I search MLE-JFK for 2 in J on 11/24 it shows 'EtihadGuest' as available for those exact same flights. Called AA Australia, but agent says that EY103 (AUH-JFK) isn't available. Is it because the agent was searching the segments individually as opposed to together MLE-JFK?

Any way to book this?
I would suggest phoning and asking them to search for MLE-JFK rather than by individual segments ; it sounds quite possible that the search was by segment
Old Oct 9, 2016, 12:22 am

After checking every day for the past couple months, I finally found the space I was looking for. Or so I thought.

I'm looking for JFK-BOM. I got much, much better availability searching BOM-JFK-BOM (per the wiki). My date came available (2 Guest Business seats, and I only need 1). Called AA USA, and they couldn't see it. Called AA Australia, and they couldn't see it. Called AA NZ, and their number appears to not be working (just rings forever). Called AA Australia again, using the above tip about not booking by segment. They still can't see it.

I even had the US agent try looking for availability RT BOM-JFK-BOM (he was pretty excited about possibly learning a new trick), but no go.

I searched again on Etihad's site to make sure it hadn't been snatched up or something, but it's still there. Any clue what I'm doing wrong, or if my luck is just bad?

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
My experience was that AUH-JFK is much easier to find and book than the reverse. Also best to search for that leg individually since a two-cabin aircraft on XXX-AUH will return no availability on the whole thing when searching. AUS, US, and NZ call centers were unable to see JFK-AUH when I called even though it was showing when searching for AUH-JFK-AUH.
Sounds like we're in the same situation. Did you end up getting this booked? If so, how?

Last edited by bobert24; Oct 9, 2016 at 12:37 am
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:52 am

Flying F tonight, tomorrow. AUH to JFK. AA gave me a 12 hour layover on jfk after my other flight was cancelled, are we allowed to use the F lounge upon landing?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:21 am

You aren't entitled to access to AA lounges since EY is not a oneWorld member. Unsure about EY lounge.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by tlott
You aren't entitled to access to AA lounges since EY is not a oneWorld member. Unsure about EY lounge.
What a dumb rule.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
After checking every day for the past couple months, I finally found the space I was looking for. Or so I thought.

I'm looking for JFK-BOM. I got much, much better availability searching BOM-JFK-BOM (per the wiki). My date came available (2 Guest Business seats, and I only need 1). Called AA USA, and they couldn't see it. Called AA Australia, and they couldn't see it. Called AA NZ, and their number appears to not be working (just rings forever). Called AA Australia again, using the above tip about not booking by segment. They still can't see it.

I even had the US agent try looking for availability RT BOM-JFK-BOM (he was pretty excited about possibly learning a new trick), but no go.

I searched again on Etihad's site to make sure it hadn't been snatched up or something, but it's still there. Any clue what I'm doing wrong, or if my luck is just bad?

Sounds like we're in the same situation. Did you end up getting this booked? If so, how?
We've been PM'ing but thought I would update here as well. I was looking for F, not J, but it's pretty clear Etihad is severely limiting this space, if not blocking it completely ex-JFK. Also important to note this is the case for Etihad's own program. You are going to have a nearly impossible time booking JFK-AUH in F. This isn't an Etihad-AA issue it's an Etihad ex-JFK issue.

I'm assuming the vast majority of us are doing this because we want to experience the apartment and my advice would be to fly EY/QR in whatever cabin you want on the outbound from somewhere other than JFK and then EY F on the return to JFK. Plan ahead and the space into JFK is wide open.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by tangey
I'm a bit surprised that they hasn't been a report of anyone booking LHR-MLE-AUH or DUB-MLE-AUH since AUH/MLE moved into individual zones in early May, some 5 months ago. I wonder does it suggest that anyone that tried was told it was 2 awards, which would confirm that AA does not have an exception for the MLE-AUH sement when starting from Europe ?
I booked this last month. One award.

Last edited by BobbySteel; Oct 9, 2016 at 11:49 pm
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
I booked this last month. One award.
Bobby, thanks for that report, that's the first we've seen. Of course my typing was screwed, but I'm sure you realised I meant LHR-AUH-MLE.

Was it biz @ 42.5K AA miles 1-way ?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
We've been PM'ing but thought I would update here as well. I was looking for F, not J, but it's pretty clear Etihad is severely limiting this space, if not blocking it completely ex-JFK. Also important to note this is the case for Etihad's own program. You are going to have a nearly impossible time booking JFK-AUH in F. This isn't an Etihad-AA issue it's an Etihad ex-JFK issue.

I'm assuming the vast majority of us are doing this because we want to experience the apartment and my advice would be to fly EY/QR in whatever cabin you want on the outbound from somewhere other than JFK and then EY F on the return to JFK. Plan ahead and the space into JFK is wide open.

I'm having the same issue but I'm trying to just book to AUH. Etihad site does show availability when I do Auh-jfk-Auh but when I call every call center they can't see the same for apartments only for 77w. I guess Etihad is purposely blocking that spot :-/ Anyone found a workaround this?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by tangey
Bobby, thanks for that report, that's the first we've seen. Of course my typing was screwed, but I'm sure you realised I meant LHR-AUH-MLE.

Was it biz @ 42.5K AA miles 1-way ?
62.5k in F so J should be 42.5
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:39 pm

Update...

EY lounge in JFK was closed but you do get access when it opens, so long as you stay in the terminal.

I went to the AA Flagship Lounge and the lady refused to give me access with an Etihad boarding pass.

Even though it said F JFK -> LAX.

AA is so wildly inconsistent.

The experience in the F apartment was great, but service was a tad bit below CX First (only in 1a/2a seats though).
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
62.5k in F so J should be 42.5
I've done the AUH-MLE return a couple of times in the last year. Both times, there were flying 2 class only. I did see some reports that this might be switching to 3 class. Interesting to see that's the case, and that awards are available.

Off-topic for this thread, but dissapointing to see that EY are still gouging $250 "carrier surcharge" on this route in biz/first on their own awards.

Last edited by tangey; Oct 11, 2016 at 6:08 am
Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yesterday, DFW-based pmAA EXP agent was able to see and book an April AUH-LHR A380 flight in First (Apartments), part of an AUH-LHR-LAX ticket.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Yesterday, After seeing availability on EY site, I called to change the date for HYD(biz)-AUH(F Apt)-LHR itinerary.

EXP agent was able to see the availability on AUH-LHR segment in F Suites but no business award on HYD-AUH segment. I called Australia number from the wiki and the agent there saw availability on both segments and changed my award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.