Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY - [2015-17 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
I'm guessing OP wants F.
So, F non-apartment for 15 hours, followed by 12 hours in AUH without lounge access, followed by a 5 hr economy flight to EBB, for the price of an F award AND the coach ticket and the baggage hassle?

Versus a lower priced AA award, no cash outlay (save for taxes), 12 hours of DOH lounge, followed by J for five hours?

Wow, some people really are wired differently. I've flown EY, and even in the Apartment, there's no way I could enjoy myself knowing of the 17 hours of torture at my arrival.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
So, F non-apartment for 15 hours, followed by 12 hours in AUH without lounge access, followed by a 5 hr economy flight to EBB, for the price of an F award AND the coach ticket and the baggage hassle?
Versus a lower priced AA award, no cash outlay (save for taxes), 12 hours of DOH lounge, followed by J for five hours?
Wow, some people really are wired differently. I've flown EY, and even in the Apartment, there's no way I could enjoy myself knowing of the 17 hours of torture at my arrival.
I agree. But to each his own...
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:04 pm

Hey folks. Just want to verify something here.. I think AA is right, but you guys are the experts.

Trying to go BEG-AUH-LAX. Agent quoted this as ~150K AA for the first leg in Biz, second leg in First. I was expecting the whole thing to price out as the first amount. Is this because I'm essentially changing regions?

If so, any solutions? If I can swing an award ticket on Air Serbia or Alitalia to AUH (from anywhere in Europe), would that be combinable into one ticket and price out at 115K AA? Going to BEG was just for re-positioning purposes, so I'm open to buying a placement flight for this.

Thanks all!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by barabuski
Hey folks. Just want to verify something here.. I think AA is right, but you guys are the experts.

Trying to go BEG-AUH-LAX. Agent quoted this as ~150K AA for the first leg in Biz, second leg in First. I was expecting the whole thing to price out as the first amount. Is this because I'm essentially changing regions?

If so, any solutions? If I can swing an award ticket on Air Serbia or Alitalia to AUH (from anywhere in Europe), would that be combinable into one ticket and price out at 115K AA? Going to BEG was just for re-positioning purposes, so I'm open to buying a placement flight for this.

Thanks all!
You can't go from Europe to USA via ME on one award.

The second paragraph makes no sense. How can you get an AA award on Air Serbia or AZ? And why would it be combinable into one ticket ?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
You can't go from Europe to USA via ME on one award.

The second paragraph makes no sense. How can you get an AA award on Air Serbia or AZ? And why would it be combinable into one ticket ?
Whoops, had a brain fart. Got that confused with Etihads partners. I'll just pay the cash outlay probably and suck it up. Sorry for the dumb question!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:51 pm

Sorry, i had been working all day today and did not see replies...

The reason I am going EY instead of Qatar business is because there is absolutely no award space on DFW-DOH-EBB for one let alone two people in 8/18/17 to 8/22/17. Also this is for my parents that are missionaries in Uganda and they have never been in First before so just want them to enjoy a 15 hour flight not cramped in a small seat.

But if I'm not looking at Qatar award space correctly for those dates and there is award space available then please let me know because I would definitely prefer that route due to less hassle!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:00 pm

Hmmm... what about business class DFW-LHR-DOH-EBB? Is that all in one award possible? for 75,000 AA miles one way in business?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by DALKOR13
Sorry, i had been working all day today and did not see replies...

The reason I am going EY instead of Qatar business is because there is absolutely no award space on DFW-DOH-EBB for one let alone two people in 8/18/17 to 8/22/17. Also this is for my parents that are missionaries in Uganda and they have never been in First before so just want them to enjoy a 15 hour flight not cramped in a small seat.

But if I'm not looking at Qatar award space correctly for those dates and there is award space available then please let me know because I would definitely prefer that route due to less hassle!
I don't know why people told you to fly QR. Of course there is never any award space available on QR. They will fly empty planes before they will let anyone use an award.

OK, exaggerating slightly...you can sometimes get an award seat midweek off-season. But I have certainly observed that they had lots of empty J seats on my flight---I took the only award seat and no others were opened up at any point, I checked.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DALKOR13
Hmmm... what about business class DFW-LHR-DOH-EBB? Is that all in one award possible? for 75,000 AA miles one way in business?
No - you can connect in Europe on any partner OR Middle East on Qatar - but not both

US-DOH-EBB on QR - no issue
US-Europe-EBB - no issue

The 3rd region exception only allows 1 exception
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I don't know why people told you to fly QR. Of course there is never any award space available on QR. They will fly empty planes before they will let anyone use an award.
DFWDOH Aug 17 8J available.
PHLDOH Aug 17 8J available.

How do I get the 25 seconds of my life back that it took ....?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 4, 2017 at 9:02 pm Reason: Redacted Rules violation re personal attack
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
DFWDOH Aug 17 8J available.
PHLDOH Aug 17 8J available.
How do I get the 25 seconds of my life back that it took ...?
LOL. Indeed.
I've never had a problem finding J award seats (even F where they fly it) on QR on or around desired travel dates.
Too bad AA isn't as generous with its own award seats.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 4, 2017 at 9:03 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL. Indeed.
I've never had a problem finding J award seats (even F where they fly it) on QR on or around desired travel dates.
Too bad AA isn't as generous with its own award seats.
Precisely. I'm glad we took QR to Africa last summer (family of four, in J). Laptop, three iPads, 3 cameras and a drone...all in our carryons! Can't do that anymore.

This summer is already planned, but Aug 18 I hope to incorporate QR into our plans given the new J layout. Perfect for families.

Be well - Jamie

PS - just to keep it EY-related, DARAUHJFK was only $3k/pp in F, so no messing around with miles for that one...netted something like 40k with card bonuses and cabin bonuses, rather than spending 135k (pre-deval booking).
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AS 100K
Just booked MLE-AUH-JFK in F for April, 2018. Called AUS call center and went straight to AAdvantage desk. Found it easily and booked with taxes/fees paid via credit card, no problemo.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: QF WP
I've read the wiki and the last 10 pages or so... I have an MLE-xAUH-MEL itinerary on hold, unfortunately the AA callcentre can't see F on AUH-MEL leg even though EF is showing O2 and EY website shows guest seat available.

I did the booking on the Australian number, and have called back a 2nd time to get them to check again, but they can't see F seats on AUH-MEL for my date and the 3 dates before, but can for the day after. All dates are showing 2 F Award seats on EF and EY Website.

Any tricks/tips to help get these AUH-MEL booked into the F i can see available?

Update: I called again with some different dates where i could see availability, and same problem. she said yes, but as soon as she grabbed the MLE-AUH seat in F, then she couldn't add the AUH-MEL leg in F (but could in J).

If added the MLE-AUH leg in J then she could add the AUH-MEL leg in F (exact same flights both times)....

Anyone have any ideas? otherwise i'm going to have to 'put up' with MLE-AUH in J for the same price.

She confirmed she could book the 2 legs separate but would be 100K + 40K instead of 100k all the way

Last edited by ferni; Jun 4, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Old Jun 4, 2017, 9:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
While there is no "FT penalty box" for those posting misinformation or erroneous information, there certainly is one for members who persist in posting attacks and ad hominem against other members. See FlyerTalk Rules: 12. Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content (link).

Those who persist after reading this will likely find themselves in the penalty box, as provided by those Rules.

Now: back to thev topic at hand - and being "friendly, respectful, welcoming manner", as provided in those Rules.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.