Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2018+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.
● For older posts, please see:
Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2017+)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by acoburn73

Did call Plat Pro line last night and asked if they could see that I'm about to cross the threshold, and if they could bump me earlier so I could enjoy it on my LHR-DFW leg. Said yes they could see, but nope to an early bump - have to wait until it posts. However, rep did say the lounge "guards" at LHR and other airport Oneworld lounges typically see that you're about to go EXP and will grant you access to their First lounges (this is true as one did on my way here last week). Since the TLV-LHR leg is BA metal, BA coded, I don't expect to see the miles post for a couple of days. In fact, I may end up seeing the LHR-DFW (BA code on AA metal) miles post before the first leg.
Congrats on your upcoming EXP status! I actually am quite surprised to hear what the AA agent told you (your quote which I've bolded above). 1) I can't imagine how Cathay, BA or Qantas would have access to your Aadvantage account to see that you're close. Would think they would simply see your status... black & white. 2) Seems that lounge desk attendants do have some discretion, but (for example), the CX and BA lounges at LHR T3 are generally sticklers to the entry rules, so I can't imagine them letting you into the First class side until you qualify for Emerald status.

Keep us posted on what happens on the return.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by dave_261
Congrats on your upcoming EXP status! I actually am quite surprised to hear what the AA agent told you (your quote which I've bolded above). 1) I can't imagine how Cathay, BA or Qantas would have access to your Aadvantage account to see that you're close. Would think they would simply see your status... black & white. 2) Seems that lounge desk attendants do have some discretion, but (for example), the CX and BA lounges at LHR T3 are generally sticklers to the entry rules, so I can't imagine them letting you into the First class side until you qualify for Emerald status.

Keep us posted on what happens on the return.
Just got back late Weds night and the BA lounge Terminal 3 at Heathrow let me in on EXP status (I showed my AA app mileage and how close I was after the TLV-LHR leg, even though it hadn't posted). DFW also let me in to First Class lounge (terminal C - pretty lame lounge for 1st class), but of course they can see my travel and progress.

As of today, only the DFW-DEN (last leg of the three-segment flight) has posted, leaving me 1400 miles short. Funny how long AA takes to post when you're close to a new level. Platinum to PPro took 5 days to post and get me over the hump, and the two huge flights I just took (TLV-LHR BA, LHR-DFW AA) are lagging as they have been completed for nearly 3 days. It's like AA manually reviews flights and holds them longer when they are the ones that will push you into the next tier.

I know they'll post, but I'm still anxious as I am excited to finally see EXP on my account after over 108,000 EQMs (just shy of $20,000 EQDs I believe) this year for the first time since joining in 1999. Especially given I'll have logged 60,000 EQMs by the end of April 2019 - will be nice to enjoy the EXP benefits!
MorganB likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by pdac1975
I just hope to god I don't make it again next year.
I don't blame you. 108 segments has to be a grind. I have always wondered who on earth makes it to different status tiers on segments, given it was a grind for me this year having had 51 segments (56, but Aer Lingus flights from LHR to Shannon didn't count as they are not Oneworld). I'll take dollars and EQMs from long hauls any day over segments.
E55 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Heh, those 500-mile midwest flights are my specialty! 55 of them this year. When you fly those you don't have to worry as much about EQD of course...although I did book SFO-HKG-BKK next February in CX premium econ which should give me a good boost there for 2019.
When is your bkk trip? Going as well in Feb.
E55 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, American EXP
Just switched from Delta to American in August and managed to hit EXP earlier this month. Membership to the Delta Sky Club comes with the Diamond Medallion level...does American grand access to the Admirals Club when you hit EXP? Everything I’ve seen looks like you have to either buy the annual membership or sign up for the credit card. Surprised if this wouldn’t be complimentary with their highest status level.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Qualified this week with

122 segments

82,140 EQM

$28,339 EQD

Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by crp5
Just switched from Delta to American in August and managed to hit EXP earlier this month. Membership to the Delta Sky Club comes with the Diamond Medallion level...does American grand access to the Admirals Club when you hit EXP? Everything I’ve seen looks like you have to either buy the annual membership or sign up for the credit card. Surprised if this wouldn’t be complimentary with their highest status level.
no, unless you are traveling international..
Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium
My last flight of 2018 just posted. What a year!

tfizzle likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
sitting on:

EQD: $15,710
EQM: 121,920
Segments: 33

Still waiting for ARN-HEL-JFK AY J flight from yesterday to post. Should put me over 130k EQM. Quick question...do any of the AA branded credit cards allow you to waive EQD or knock down the amount of EQD needed? I already have 107k EQM of travel booked for 2019, but not 15k worth of EQD. I'll likely end up with ~150k EQM and over 15k EQD, but just in case.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
sitting on:

Still waiting for ARN-HEL-JFK AY J flight from yesterday to post. Should put me over 130k EQM. Quick question...do any of the AA branded credit cards allow you to waive EQD or knock down the amount of EQD needed? I already have 107k EQM of travel booked for 2019, but not 15k worth of EQD. I'll likely end up with ~150k EQM and over 15k EQD, but just in case.
The Barclay AAdvantage Avaitor Silver card lets you earn EQD's.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
sitting on:

Update - got the EQM requirement wrong, it's still 100k not 150k

The 43k short of EQM seems harder than the extra $3k of EQD. As the other post mentioned, you can get $3k of EQD via the Barclaycard. Remember that Y-fares in 2019 have been neutered from 1.5 EQM down to 1 EQM.

Last edited by Dedicated; Dec 24, 2018 at 2:35 am Reason: wrong number
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Dedicated
Update - got the EQM requirement wrong, it's still 100k not 150k

The 43k short of EQM seems harder than the extra $3k of EQD. As the other post mentioned, you can get $3k of EQD via the Barclaycard. Remember that Y-fares in 2019 have been neutered from 1.5 EQM down to 1 EQM.
Never buy Y-fares, I do a lot of biz travel TATL on AY, BA, IB so I am actually going to earn more in 2019 with the bump from 1.5 to 2EQM on those partners. I see the 3k spend but most of that 25k spend would earn 1mile/$1, seems like a waste when I could be putting it on the CSR and earning 3/1 for most of it. I'll probably make the 15k anyway. Thanks! Already managed to use 3 of my 4 SWU for '19.
Dedicated likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
What routes did were you able to use your SWU on?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Dedicated
My last flight of 2018 just posted. What a year!
Wow, nice.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by A651346
What routes did were you able to use your SWU on?
I'm finding out that these SWUs are challenging at best for nearly anything to Europe, Asia, and of course Hawaii. The SWUs that show up at booking (when shopping for flights) are short legs of longer trips that I'd never use an SWU on - why do it when EXPs get complimentary upgrades anyway (unless you want to guarantee an upgrade on a 1 1/2 hour flight rather than be on the upgrade list)?

The PHL-FCO or any AA metal flight to FCO have nothing listed for SWUs at booking. Wife and I have been planning a trip to Italy for April 2019, and all this year my goal was to get enough work and personal travel to finally eclipse EXP - and I just did last week - but I'm finding it frustrating to hear of stories of people lucking out with SWUs confirmed at booking for transatlantic flights, yet I'm unable to find much of anything except DEN-LAX, DEN-PHL, DEN-DFW, etc., then the long haul portion is not showing any SWUs to biz class.

I'll keep reading around the forums (as this topic has its own thread), but so far I'm not feeling the excitement over having 4 SWUs usable at booking as I had thought I'd feel. Seems, however, that AA does have an upgrade list for EXPs with SWUs that pops up just before flight time (I've seen these lists as a Plat Pro, and assumed they were EXP SWUs waiting to be cleared for biz class upgrades). Not sure, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.