Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2018+)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.
● For older posts, please see:
Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2017+)

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just re qualified for my third year of EXP with pretty much all of my AA flying done, 80% from my own wallet. Lower end of the EXP totem pole but I'll take it

12,931 EQD
105,505 EQM
37 EQS
fotographer and dciolli like this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Just made it -

fotographer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by enviroian
How many here are EXP's on their own dime vs OPM? Now that would be a impressive feat. I'm certainly not one of them as OPM counts for 60% of my status level.
Most of it was my own other than about $1400 give or take.

Safe Travels
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by phillieyogi
Made it last week and still have 3 more segments, $5500 EQD and 18,000 EQM to go with some more domestic trips unplanned but bound to happen. This will third year with over $40,000 and CK will continue to be elusive.
Path to CK is profitability, not necessarily spend. Buy only J or F (ideally full fare), that is the key, to key LOL :-)
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
How many here are EXP's on their own dime vs OPM? Now that would be a impressive feat. I'm certainly not one of them as OPM counts for 60% of my status level.
I qualify ususllly by flying with partners - this year, company booked me 3 time b class with Cathay from Paris to Singapore. This almost qualify me as platinum pro. I spent the rest 3K or so to requakify.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Oddly enough I made the 15k spend yesterday. Too bad it isn’t next year
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT

Made it on segments.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by T. Sanderson

Made it on segments.
That's rare I imagine. Sales?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by catcher1
My wife and I are both AA 2MM EXPLAT, all on our own dime(s). For 2018 I'm trailing her $18,000 EQDs and $145,000 EQMs--I have more award travel than she does.
Both of us are EXP for next year. All on our own dime and bottom of the barrel at just over 12K for each of us. A mix of AA and Partner in TATL and TPAC very little domestic travel. Not sure what we will do next year. Thinking about being free agents .. dont like to pay roulette on non confirmed SWU so ended up buying J most of the time this year. Based in ORD, AA has pulled so many flights out of ORD that we used to take, especially to Shanghai and Beijing and reducing flights to NRT, but also to Europe. Makes every trip longer with connections and just less available seats for upgrades to confirm.
dciolli likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Both of us are EXP for next year. All on our own dime and bottom of the barrel at just over 12K for each of us. A mix of AA and Partner in TATL and TPAC very little domestic travel. Not sure what we will do next year. Thinking about being free agents .. dont like to pay roulette on non confirmed SWU so ended up buying J most of the time this year. Based in ORD, AA has pulled so many flights out of ORD that we used to take, especially to Shanghai and Beijing and reducing flights to NRT, but also to Europe. Makes every trip longer with connections and just less available seats for upgrades to confirm.
All very true, but we're sticking with AA principally to maximize upgrades. We buy J when upgrades look difficult (and maximizing EQDs), and take our chances otherwise. We have been lucky so far, although sometimes we have had to wait to the last minute for TATL SWU upgrades sometimes. It's a love-hate relationship....
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum
Hit EXP for the first time in my 19 years of flying only on AA/US. My husband and friends didn't share in my excitement, so I'm posting here .

Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by FSUSeminole007
Hit EXP for the first time in my 19 years of flying only on AA/US. My husband and friends didn't share in my excitement, so I'm posting here .
Congrats! Enjoy the new benefits!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold

I do along with my wife, I remember the first time I hit exp.. my wife was more excited then I was
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Wife (Plat Pro) and I (EXP) are both on our own dimes.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: CK or bust

Congratulations!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.