Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2018+)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.
● For older posts, please see:
Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2017+)

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
$0.36/mile seems pretty profitable to me ($41,193/115,084)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
I did it on Segments also.
<removed broken img link>

Last edited by JY1024; Nov 13, 2018 at 4:32 pm Reason: Removed broken img link
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Originally Posted by catcher1
That's rare I imagine. Sales?
Goverment worker. Somewhat niche skills in my agency, requiring a lot of travel to help folks with less experience. Lot of _CA fares (G) keeping the spend per segment in check. AA has the contracts for most of my routes.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by catcher1
All very true, but we're sticking with AA principally to maximize upgrades. We buy J when upgrades look difficult (and maximizing EQDs), and take our chances otherwise. We have been lucky so far, although sometimes we have had to wait to the last minute for TATL SWU upgrades sometimes. It's a love-hate relationship....
Love hate does kind of sum it up..just purchased Ord to bkk and return from pvg in February in J ..will look for upgrades later in the year
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
Finally hit Executive Platinum after a long weekend trip on Iberia to Madrid. Going to try to use a SWU for my upcoming trip to Hong Kong in December!

aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Love hate does kind of sum it up..just purchased Ord to bkk and return from pvg in February in J ..will look for upgrades later in the year
We're doing LAX-PVG in early March, low season, using SWUs.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Just re-qualified on Wednesday evening:

EQD's = 13,162
EQM's = 100,798
EQS's = 38

Traveling to SNA last week of November and then possibly 2 more trips in December so should be around 14,000 EQD's and 110,000 EQM's. Big boost to EQD's were a QR J Fare Run CMB-PHL and a BA Premium Economy Run LAX-JNB-ORD. I expect next year to be much busier travelwise so may actually hit the 15,000 EQD threshold.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Recently completed a trip to Sydney and Auckland which pushed me over the edge. Have a few more short trips coming up for work but current stats are:

EQD: $14,000
EQM: 115,000
EQS: 47

More flights than I would have liked this year thanks to several 500-mile trips around the midwest. Other than that I qualified on mostly international OneWorld PE fares. Look forward to "spending" $15,000 next year!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AA Lifetime Gold 1.6 MM, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold Elite, Choice Diamond
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Well, I re-qualified on my Tuesday segment. 100,039 EQMs and $14,978 EQDs YTD. It's about a month later than normal as I did one less Australia J trip this year. Around April I was wondering if I was going to make it and things picked up and now I'll likely end up with 130K EQMs by year's end. I did get 10,000 EQDs from CC spend. In a perfect world I'd qualify in December which would mean travel went down.

I celebrated by missing my upgrade on PHX to MKE on Tuesday (also missed it on the return this morning).
What credit card gave you the "10,000 EQDs from CC spend"? Was it a special promo? Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I just did a run over the weekend, AUS-LAX-PVG, with the segments between LAX and PVG in PE.
Luckily, my SWU's cleared, but the PE segments initially credited as economy. I sent an online message this afternoon, and just checked my account:

I don't have any more travel planned for the year. Actually the next trip I know about will be April, but who knows.
Not sure if I'll go for this again, but I've said that before...
MorganB, TWA884 and econometrics like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Really proud of how well I targeted it this year. Final score: 17263/106253/111. I hit 100k on AKL-LAX a couple weeks ago, which looks likely to be my last earning flight of the year. Work flew me about 75k EQM (and enough EQD), and Chase UR points paid for the other 31k (in just two rt; IAH-LAX-SYD and LAX-AKL, both real vacations not MR). All the rest of my personal travel was either AA miles, UR transfers, or a couple cheap cash flights on non-AA-earners (Norwegian, Emirates). Came out with about the same RDM I had at the beginning of the year. Running like a well-oiled machine over here...
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by trapped
More flights than I would have liked this year thanks to several 500-mile trips around the midwest. Other than that I qualified on mostly international OneWorld PE fares. Look forward to "spending" $15,000 next year!
Heh, those 500-mile midwest flights are my specialty! 55 of them this year. When you fly those you don't have to worry as much about EQD of course...although I did book SFO-HKG-BKK next February in CX premium econ which should give me a good boost there for 2019.
trapped likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
How many here are EXP's on their own dime vs OPM? Now that would be a impressive feat. I'm certainly not one of them as OPM counts for 60% of my status level.
I made EXP for the first time this year, and all from personal, leisure travel. I work in a small town with a low cost of living but not a whole lot to do, so what I don't have to spend on an expensive mortgage goes into travel to visit friends in Europe and California, often in PE of J if I can find a good deal on the fare. A first trip to Hawaii this fall pushed me over the top.

The EQM and EQD from the Barclay card definitely helped me get there too and I doubt I'll make it back to EXP again next year with reduced boosts.
fotographer and Mbethy like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:04 pm

How many here are EXP's on their own dime vs OPM? Now that would be a impressive feat. I'm certainly not one of them as OPM counts for 60% of my status level.
Well, it would certainly be impressive. But the other question is: why would you bother? To hit that status with leisure travel, you'd almost have to be buying all premium cabins already. So what's the big benefit of being EXP? I guess I could see a really crazy corner case where somebody is retired and bicoastal and just flies cheap econ back and forth. But if I didn't have a ton of work travel that I'm forced to book in discount econ, I wouldn't really care about status. The benefit it gives me is flying most of those junk itineraries in J instead of Y.
Dad to Rei likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Platinum Premier, AA - CK
In 15 years of frequent travel, Ive never paid out of pocket for a plane ticket. All OPM here. Never done a mileage run, never took extra segments for status, etc. Ive only ever used miles for award travel 4 times and lost lots of miles on CO/UA and DL.

$30k EQD
100k EQM
105 EQS

If it wasnt for work, Id probably never get on a plane.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.