Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2018+)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.
● For older posts, please see:
Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2017+)

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Just found this so I wasn't so far off but it's still just as mysterious:

Originally Posted by JonNYC
While I think close to 100% of knowledgeable folks would agree that the _amount_ of expanded availability is infinitesimal, tiny, incredibly rare-- even so far gone as to say "of virtually no practical use," etc., I'm told it's not factually accurate to say it has been removed/ "no longer exists"

To be clear, the effective difference may be close to zero, but, FWIW.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
The expanded availability, to my understanding, is only visible to agents on the phone, it does not show up on AA.com. And answer of [agent saying] "she was seeing was the same I was seeing" can mean different things, but doesn't mean this.
So it's likely still "there" which is perhaps why it hasn't been removed from the published benefits but there is really almost no availability to make it meaningful.
​​​​​​​
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Qualified July 12

EQDs -- 24804
EQMs -- 122991
EQSs -- 35
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
Re-qualified a while back in June:
EQD: 21,780
EQM: 111,713
EQS: 20

Thanks to long haul flights.
Gotta love high EQM flights, run up status over very few segments.

If you did DFW-HKG in full J, 4 would get you over 96,000 and then a short hop would push you over 😁
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012

Gotta love high EQM flights, run up status over very few segments.

If you did DFW-HKG in full J, 4 would get you over 96,000 and then a short hop would push you over 😁
+ partner flights (QR/CX) helps with the EQD :P
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Qualified on July 2nd:

EQD: 16,590
EQM: 119,240
EQS: 20

Also thanks to longhaul flights (AA and QR), plus shorter J fights on LA and CX
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Just rolling over 120 segments tonight! Got a surprise upgrade from DFW-DEN---nice! Have 80447 eqm and 15032 eqd. Been a trek these 6 months!
zpaul likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, HH Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Award flight cancellation / reinstatement of miles

My SIL is joining my wife and I on a cruise out of BCN in November. I booked her a coach flight in Jan. Award space just opened up in J (U) , so I booked her a new award flight in J so she can ride up front with us.
I know I can cancel her original flight and get my miles reinstated with the fees waived. Can I do that from the website with the "Cancel Trip" link, or do I have to call the EXP line or AAdvantage line?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by skydve1
My SIL is joining my wife and I on a cruise out of BCN in November. I booked her a coach flight in Jan. Award space just opened up in J (U) , so I booked her a new award flight in J so she can ride up front with us.
I know I can cancel her original flight and get my miles reinstated with the fees waived. Can I do that from the website with the "Cancel Trip" link, or do I have to call the EXP line or AAdvantage line?

Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately you'll have to call (take advantage of that shorter EXP line hold time) and you should do that ASAP to ensure that the system doesn't cancel out either the old or the new as a duplicate reservation for a passenger with the same AAdvantage #.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, HH Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by enpremiere
Unfortunately you'll have to call (take advantage of that shorter EXP line hold time) and you should do that ASAP to ensure that the system doesn't cancel out either the old or the new as a duplicate reservation for a passenger with the same AAdvantage #.
Thanks for the advice. I just called ... took less than 5 minutes. I said I need to cancel a reservation, and the rep said she'd reinstate the miles without prompting.
I love it when things happen without a fight!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Just qualified for EXP (as of last night!) for the first time since 2009:

EQD: 12,504
EQM: 106,134
EQS: 61
GTITAN likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EP, SPG Ambassador (lifetime plat)
Funny, I’m at $23k EQD, 75k EQM,, and 118 EQS — doing it the hard way. Will be there this week
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:55 am

After falling 15k short last year I finally got EXP, and early enough I should be able to enjoy it.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by theroyalwe
After falling 15k short last year I finally got EXP, and early enough I should be able to enjoy it.
I like that mileage. Makes me wonder if there is an image of 100003 or 100002 or 100001 or 100000 from someone.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Well, I re-qualified on my Tuesday segment. 100,039 EQMs and $14,978 EQDs YTD. It's about a month later than normal as I did one less Australia J trip this year. Around April I was wondering if I was going to make it and things picked up and now I'll likely end up with 130K EQMs by year's end. I did get 10,000 EQDs from CC spend. In a perfect world I'd qualify in December which would mean travel went down.

I celebrated by missing my upgrade on PHX to MKE on Tuesday (also missed it on the return this morning).
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Spent a total of 6 days as Platinum Pro. I'm sure I'll be getting two cards in a few weeks.

Last edited by Uncle Nonny; Sep 7, 2018 at 5:48 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.