Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2018+)

Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.
● For older posts, please see:
Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2017+)

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:23 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium

Welcome to our new 2018 thread! Please continue discussion here (even if you're just now getting to brag about crossing the threshold at the end of 2017!

/AA Moderator Team
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I"m just curious about the pecking order of upgrades as of today my Status radar panel on www.aa.com has been zero'd out.

Have a couple trips that just popped up today that I need to plan for January 2018. Thought I'd at least get a break from traveling this month. But no complaints though!! Better to start now indeed.., Hoping to use a couple SWU's that are set to expire at the month anyway.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I"m just curious about the pecking order of upgrades as of today my Status radar panel on www.aa.com has been zero'd out.

Have a couple trips that just popped up today that I need to plan for January 2018. Thought I'd at least get a break from traveling this month. But no complaints though!! Better to start now indeed.., Hoping to use a couple SWU's that are set to expire at the month anyway.
Nothing should change - the list is populated the same way, so your current elite status, the type of upgrade instrument used, and 12-month rolling EQD will be the determinants.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
That is strictly for 2019 qualification. 2018 you will be based on your status ex-Dec 31, 2017 and your rolling 12 month EQD spend.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: American ExPlat SPG Plat
Made EXP for the first time at the tail end of 2017. Mostly via ORD-LGA with an occasional trip to SFO and LHR tossed in.

EQD $15,623
EQM 101,848
EQS 96
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Since the 2018 New Year re-set, my EQM, EQD, EQS counters started again at zero. But the pre-populated "target" numbers are for Platinum Pro, rather than the higher targets for re-qualification for EXP. Anyone else notice this? I would expect the target to be the same as current status. Vaguely remembering something similar to this software bug last year.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Since the 2018 New Year re-set, my EQM, EQD, EQS counters started again at zero. But the pre-populated "target" numbers are for Platinum Pro, rather than the higher targets for re-qualification for EXP. Anyone else notice this? I would expect the target to be the same as current status. Vaguely remembering something similar to this software bug last year.
Are you saying on AA's app? Mine is set to EXP by default. However it says "In 2017, you earned 0 EQDs, XXX EQMs and XXX EQSs", which is a great way to qualify for EXP if that's true...
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Are you saying on AA's app? Mine is set to EXP by default. However it says "In 2017, you earned 0 EQDs, XXX EQMs and XXX EQSs", which is a great way to qualify for EXP if that's true...
My App is showing EXP by default but also 0 EQD.

The webpage is showing Gold.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Odd. I made EXP again last year but mine is reset and shows progress to Gold. Go figure
On aa.com it's always progress to the next available level, which is Gold ending Jan 1, 2020.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On aa.com it's always progress to the next available level, which is Gold ending Jan 1, 2020.
Got it. Then mine works as expected, with the exception of the 0 EQD.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:29 pm

No exception, all of the EQDs that you earned from 03 January 2017 (as of today - 02 Jan 2018 - keep moving it forward as the year goes on) will apply for your position on the upgrade list. If you had a particular spike in travel that upped your EQDs significantly in 2017 then after that month you might see yourself affected.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:43 pm

Actually it's Gold ending Jan 31, 2020..but I think you got what I meant.

Originally Posted by zpaul
No exception, all of the EQDs that you earned from 03 January 2017 (as of today - 02 Jan 2018 - keep moving it forward as the year goes on) will apply for your position on the upgrade list. If you had a particular spike in travel that upped your EQDs significantly in 2017 then after that month you might see yourself affected.
I don't think we are talking about the same thing. We are just talking about an error on aa app, which has nothing to do with running EQD.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:49 pm

Actually it's Gold ending Jan 31, 2020..but I think you got what I meant.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. We are just talking about an error on aa app, which has nothing to do with running EQD.
Sorry, you're right - I don't know how I missed all of those other posts (I'm going with email fatigue from being away from the office for a week). I just checked the app, and while this morning my 2017 EQDs were listed, they show as 0 as well. Interesting...
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by zpaul
Sorry, you're right - I don't know how I missed all of those other posts (I'm going with email fatigue from being away from the office for a week). I just checked the app, and while this morning my 2017 EQDs were listed, they show as 0 as well. Interesting...
No worries. Talking about running EQD, AA still does not share the numbers with members (obviously AA knows from its back-end) in any way...
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA
I made EXP on the last day of 2017.
13,986 EQDs
87,522 EQMs
121 EQSs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.