Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it?

Link to oneworld web page Emerald Privileges

Executive Platinum status requirements: rack up 200,000 Loyalty Points in one calendar year

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

(Members NO LONGER must fly at least 4 American Airlines marketed segments during the qualifying year to receive elite status.)

Status will last the current status year and the following status year - earn EP during 2019, your status ends 31 Jan 2021.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats
  • Up to three (3) free checked bags with oneworld benefit, 32 kg / 70 lbs ea. (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee available[/color] (for EQM only as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • 100% elite mileage bonus (changed to 11 Award miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Guaranteed Main Cabin seat availability [/color] (up to 24 hrs from departure)
  • Systemwide Upgrades (see below)
  • First class lounge access qualifying longhaul international and MEX** (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Check in at First Class counter)
  • Priority Lane / Fast Track through the airport at check-in, security and boarding (link) (see post #472 - link)
  • Checked bag fee waived for three (3) bags up to 70 lb / 32 kg
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines
  • Discounted Admirals Club membership
  • Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club access on qualifying flights, regardless of class

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 100-hour upgrade window
  • Flights* 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades
  • Flights* over 500 miles: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • As of June 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."
  • Courtesy 500 mile Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 100 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Executive Platinum members DO NOT earn 500-mile upgrades.

Systemwide Upgrades (SWU)
Youll receive four (4) systemwide upgrades (8 SWU years prior to c/y 2016 ) when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status.
You may earn two more SWU at 150,000 EQM, and again at 200,000 EQM
SWU upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American Airlines marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them.

Linkto further SWU information

Other benefits
  • Exclusive Executive Platinum service desk (actual separate dedicated call center staff)
  • Waived ticketing service charge
  • Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin*
  • Waitlist priority for purchased First or Business Class (on American)
  • Complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the Main Cabin / coach (no, does not extend to traveling companion)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two EP baggage tags
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Extended MileSAAver award availability (must call EXP Desk, your FFN must be used during the award search, availability is not unlimited)
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within twenty-one days of travel)
  • AAdvantage award change and reinstatement charge waived (for awards reinstated to the EP member's account)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld priority security
  • oneworld partner lounge access** First Class and frequent flyer lounges
  • Extended 3 bags and weight (32 kg / 70 lbs ea.)

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to aa.com AAdvantage Elite Status benefit comparison charts

Link to aa.com [b]Elite Status Benefit Guide

Previous posts: Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

I've been of the opinion that EXP status isn't that important if you have money - meaning you can get those benefits by just buying your way into the premium cabin. But now I'm not so sure.

For example, last Thursday, with the poor weather in DFW, my flight from STL to DFW, and the next one was canceled. I had been upgraded. The earlier flight was delayed. They had deplaned everyone. They issued me a BP for that flight when they reboarded, and they gave me someone else's window seat. That person was now in an aisle (he told me - and he wasn't too happy).

Now isn't that an EXP benefit that money couldn't buy? Putting you on the earliest possible flight.

In addition, I'm also thinking the EXP hotline number. What else is there? I have to say, it's nice being EXP.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Yep.

My initial flight to DFW to catch the LHR flight was cancelled, and they called with automated calls, plus protected me on the next flight.

Well, they use the old TW MD83s on this route and the frequently go mech, etc. so I did not want the remaining flight that would alow me to make my London flight (plus on a P fare I was bumped down to Coach), so I called after ascertaining the earlier flight was sold out in Coach but had two F seats remaining. They had to put in a request to Revenue Management, and the $346 charge was neutralized with a $346 credit, so I am flying on the earlier flight in F.

I believe EXP had a lot to do with that.
Originally Posted by Microwave
As this question, and subsequent responses, really focus on whether EXP is worth it, I've gone ahead and merged your question in to that thread.

~Moderator
Originally Posted by bmchris
I've been of the opinion that EXP status isn't that important if you have money - meaning you can get those benefits by just buying your way into the premium cabin. But now I'm not so sure.

For example, last Thursday, with the poor weather in DFW, my flight from STL to DFW, and the next one was canceled. I had been upgraded. The earlier flight was delayed. They had deplaned everyone. They issued me a BP for that flight when they reboarded, and they gave me someone else's window seat. That person was now in an aisle (he told me - and he wasn't too happy).

Now isn't that an EXP benefit that money couldn't buy? Putting you on the earliest possible flight.

In addition, I'm also thinking the EXP hotline number. What else is there? I have to say, it's nice being EXP.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by bmchris

+1 The EXP desk has saved my bacon a bunch of times, esp. during irrops, and esp. when I was in a foreign country and BA or SN(a while ago) customer service was absent or abysmal.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Well the drum roll will be that i will be able to experience the
EXP benefits. I have 96 segments through today; 100 on he next filght next week.

Very much looking forward to dealing with complementary EXP upgrades for a change instead of stickers.

Any generic advice on the most appropriate advice on how to deal with friends needing upgraded with my numerous stickers still in my and my spouses accounts?

How long after you pass the 100 segments that you MAKE EXP does it take before the EXP desk can make it happen?

I have other flights booked as we speak. Do I need to call CS to get them to reflect Exec Plat on my upcoming flights for the complementary upgrades?
patlaw41 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Maui Time: Yes once your status changes to EXP give them a call and ask that they refresh your future reservations. Won't hurt to give the computers a nudge.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
See my comments in BLUE.

Originally Posted by Maui Time
Any generic advice on the most appropriate advice on how to deal with friends needing upgraded with my numerous stickers still in my and my spouses accounts?

The operative word is not friend/relative but "companion": you can only upgrade someone traveling with you, although can be a separate PNR. Just call and request ug, and if different PNR, get it noted that they are traveling with you.

You cannot sticker-ug someone if you are not on the same flight.

As EXP, you will also get 8 far more valuable "System Wide Upgrades". One of these can ug up to 3 segments on AA flights anywhere in the world (for example, LAX-ORD). These you can apply to another person's reservation even if you are not flying.

How long after you pass the 100 segments that you MAKE EXP does it take before the EXP desk can make it happen? I have other flights booked as we speak. Do I need to call CS to get them to reflect Exec Plat on my upcoming flights for the complementary upgrades?

Your account should reflect your new status within a few hours and will be visible to AAgents. However, in one of the many quirks of the system, any new reservations will be properly notated, but existing ones are not automatically updated, so call and have them refreshed. It won't hurt to remain watchful that stickers are not deducted for your own ug.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLA
Is it worth trying to reach Executive Platinum?

Hi guys. My home airport is EZE and on an annual basis I usually fly just above 50,000 in OW flights, which allows me to keep my AAdvantage Platinum status. This year however, I will be flying to HAN during October and my balance will reach 78,000 EQM. My question is twofold, is it worth trying to hit 100,000 EQM in order to reach Executive Platinum? If so, which would the the cheapest way to obtain 22,000 EQM?
Thank you in advance and best regards,

Alex
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by ammassot
Hi guys. My home airport is EZE and on an annual basis I usually fly just above 50,000 in OW flights, which allows me to keep my AAdvantage Platinum status. This year however, I will be flying to HAN during October and my balance will reach 78,000 EQM. My question is twofold, is it worth trying to hit 100,000 EQM in order to reach Executive Platinum? If so, which would the the cheapest way to obtain 22,000 EQM?

Alex
Alex, my answer would hinge on what your flying plans are in 2014. The key benefits to EXP (for me) are nearly unlimited upgrades when flying on AA within the US and the 8 SWU's for international travel. (There are many others, of course). If you have minimal travel plans next year within the US and internationally on AA metal then it's probably not worth it, but if so then by all means...

Best of luck!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLA
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Alex, my answer would hinge on what your flying plans are in 2014. The key benefits to EXP (for me) are nearly unlimited upgrades when flying on AA within the US and the 8 SWU's for international travel. (There are many others, of course). If you have minimal travel plans next year within the US and internationally on AA metal then it's probably not worth it, but if so then by all means...

Best of luck!
Thanks for the quick turnaround!

So far during 2014 I will be flying EZE-JFK-EZE and EZE-JFK-YYZ-JFK-EZE on AA, some flights within Argentina on LAN, and EZE-FCO-EZE in BA or IB...
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Recommend to read below thread from beginning to end.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

After reading all above, if you still have questions, let us know.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Look at it this way. The 8 SWU (subject to capacity controls) are potentially worth 200,000 miles and $2800, which is the cost to upgrade 8 segments from EZE to North America. But since they could also be used to fly to say EZE - LHR, they are actually worth more.

This alone makes EXP worth it.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
No

MO
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
No cheap way, not many long distance deals from EZE.

A trip to LHR via US plus two trips to LIM or one to MIA will cost you around $3000 to get your 22k needed miles.

Say you get some deals and you can lower it to $2600...

Personally, I enjoy a lot the EXP program and I almost don't fly domestic US. I can see you getting great benefit from the SWUs themselves for your 2014 international trips. Is $2600-$3000 plus your time away worth it? Up to you...

P.S. And 2014 will probably be the last year of existence of the EXP program as we know it now, since after the US/AA FF programs merge the new program might be a seriously devalued version of the current EXP program

Last edited by carlosdca; Jul 17, 2013 at 7:02 pm Reason: P.S. Added
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:06 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ammassot

Alex
Welcome to FlyerTalk and the AA forum, ammassot!

We've merged your thread with our existing discussion about "is it worth it for me to get Executive Platinum." It's an oft-asked question that's going to be highly-dependent on your individual needs and flying habits. I'm sure you'll get some good advice from our members.

As for cheapest way to get EQMs, I'd suggest looking at the Mileage Run forums:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...iscussion-627/

Good luck with whatever you decide!

/Moderator
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by aktchi
See my comments in BLUE.
Thanks aktchi. The friends I referred to are companions on upcoming flights. On one flight they are on the same PNR, the others are on separate PNR's. I will call CS on your advice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.