Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mstrbldr
This answer has to be on the Flame Free thread, but no long finding it...but my question is whether or not I can I lock in an upgrade to business class from economy on an award ticket shortly after booking a ticket. It's an international flight to LHR. Would prefer to use miles to upgrade, but maybe cash. If not possible to business, what about Main Cabin Extra? I am not a regular AA flyer and don't have status. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
You cannot upgrade an award ticket to Europe. The only thing you can do is pay the higher amount of miles for a new business class award. AA offers this as a fee free change if a business award opens up after you book a coach award.

As to booking a better seat, when you make the booking at aa.com you will be presented with the seatmap and options to pay for a better seat in MCE or other preferred seats.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mstrbldr
This answer has to be on the Flame Free thread, but no long finding it...but my question is whether or not I can I lock in an upgrade to business class from economy on an award ticket shortly after booking a ticket. It's an international flight to LHR. Would prefer to use miles to upgrade, but maybe cash. If not possible to business, what about Main Cabin Extra? I am not a regular AA flyer and don't have status. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
You have the following possibilities:

You generally can not upgrade award tickets. The only sure way is if you upfare to a Business award; AA will waive the $150 Miles redeposit fee if you are upfaring.

You might be offered a Day of Departure Upgrade for cash, but IMO as this would be after requested upgrades have been satisfied the chances are slight. See DOD / DODU (LFBU) Space-available, counter, kiosk, and online upgrade (master thd).

[
Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Elite status members may select Main Cabin Extra seats when traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets. However, Main Cabin Extra is not available for purchase by non-elite customers traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets.
Award ticket and MCE / Main Cabin Extra or Premium seat: possible? (master thd)
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
I have three questions:
1.) To confirm purchases like MCE seats, and Admirals Club do not count toward EQD?
2.) But what paying for an upgrade at the airport not using miles i.e. paying the fare difference at the airport? Would the amount you paid on top of the fare go toward EQD?
3.) I purchased a package (hotel & air) through a travel site and AA is saying they cannot make any modifications and that I would need to contact my travel agent, and after doing so the agency is saying AA is charging a $200 rebook fee even though the change is to a higher class of service. I get the sense that an agent at the airport on the day of travel can offer me a paid upgrade without this fee, has anyone else encountered this?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAdamE
I have three questions:
1.) To confirm purchases like MCE seats, and Admirals Club do not count toward EQD?
2.) But what paying for an upgrade at the airport not using miles i.e. paying the fare difference at the airport? Would the amount you paid on top of the fare go toward EQD?
3.) I purchased a package (hotel & air) through a travel site and AA is saying they cannot make any modifications and that I would need to contact my travel agent, and after doing so the agency is saying AA is charging a $200 rebook fee even though the change is to a higher class of service. I get the sense that an agent at the airport on the day of travel can offer me a paid upgrade without this fee, has anyone else encountered this?
1) Correct, optional extras and fees like MCE or Admirals Club membership do not count toward EQD.
2) Paying the fare difference from coach to business/first will count to EQD, it doesn't matter if you do this over the phone or at the airport.
3) AA should not charge the change fee for a change to a higher class of service, however many agents are still poorly trained on this and oftentimes you have to push back. I would instruct your travel agent to try again. I'd think an airport agent would be able to offer an up-sell, but you never know with a travel package like this booked by a 3rd party.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 1:59 pm

2) up-faring should accrue EQD according to total revised fare as travelled.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AAdamE
I have three questions:

Ancillary fees do not earn EQD, e.g. Club, MCE, inflight purchases, change fees, baggage fees, upgrade fees, etc. Only fares and carrier imposed charges earn EQD.

UpFARE, yes, the new fare would be the basis for the EQD calculation. Done the day of departure you might find this nosebleedingly expensive, If only walkup fares are being sold.

UpGRADE, e.g. DODU / LFBU, you’d earn atbthe original fare basis and the upgrade fee would not earn EQD.

If you bought from a TA, or even the AA Vacations agency, the TA controls that ticket. AA will only take control in case of IROPS or once you’ve checked in. And though AA doesn’t charge you an upfare fee, tour TA can - and might have stringent or more restrictive conditions than the fare had if it had been purchased from AA.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html
AAdamE likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Just checking in for AMS-DFW - been assigned Group 2 as reflects my three week old OWE status [though BP still lists the OWS I was at booking...].

My girlfriend [same PNR] has only been given Group 5 though. Is this correct? And/or is she allowed to board with me in Group 2? [This is how it's currently done on BA - BP doesn't show it but you can stick together].

Cheers!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:06 am
Suspended

JDiver, absolutely correct as always. I did enter into an email conversation over DODU as the purpose of EQD is to drive $ revenue rather than PAX miles. Therefore including DODU, MCE and all other incremental revenues based on seating as opposed to in flight purchases which carry a cost might logically be included in EQD to drive revenue. The reply I got was that they would forward my comments to the relevant department. Not expecting a reply or even any action in the near future but if the purpose of EQD is to drive revenue then including added value sell ups would make sense from a commercial perspective as these drive margin (providing they are used in a way that does not cannibalize). So perhaps a more Dollar focused approach may come in.

By the way, I very much appreciate your advice which is always accurate and not always easy to find on website.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by etiene
Just checking in for AMS-DFW - been assigned Group 2 as reflects my three week old OWE status [though BP still lists the OWS I was at booking...].

My girlfriend [same PNR] has only been given Group 5 though. Is this correct? And/or is she allowed to board with me in Group 2? [This is how it's currently done on BA - BP doesn't show it but you can stick together].

Cheers!
Yes, a simple "she's with me" works 99% of the time.
etiene likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, a simple "she's with me" works 99% of the time.
Ok, thanks!

I assume the disparity between the OWS shown and the actual OWE implied by the boarding group won't cause issues anywhere else...?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by etiene
Ok, thanks!

I assume the disparity between the OWS shown and the actual OWE implied by the boarding group won't cause issues anywhere else...?
I would have an agent remove your FF# from the record then add it back, just to be safe.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I would have an agent remove your FF# from the record then add it back, just to be safe.
Ok, will do.

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
If I call AA to modify a ticket booked through my corporate travel agent, will I be charged the phone booking fee in addition to the $50 fee for AA to take over the ticket?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
To upgrade a companion as a Plat pro. Do I need to buy 500 certs for them?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Ceres
To upgrade a companion as a Plat pro. Do I need to buy 500 certs for them?
Yes, you will need stickers to upgrade companions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.