Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
I tried to look but could not find an A320 master thread. I am planning on flying AA845 PHL-PUJ and there is upgrade eligibility. Considering its almost a 4 hour flight, I would be willing to go for the upgrade if there is IFE and newer seats. Any help on this aircraft type or the forum for A320 would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AAdamE
I tried to look but could not find an A320 master thread. I am planning on flying AA845 PHL-PUJ and there is upgrade eligibility. Considering its almost a 4 hour flight, I would be willing to go for the upgrade if there is IFE and newer seats. Any help on this aircraft type or the forum for A320 would be greatly appreciated!
There is certainly no built in IFE or newer seats, not even power ports. You will have standard domestic F recliner type seats, free booze, and a meal. For sure more comfortable than coach but nothing to get excited over.
AAdamE likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: aa
Thank you.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
There is certainly no built in IFE or newer seats, not even power ports. You will have standard domestic F recliner type seats, free booze, and a meal. For sure more comfortable than coach but nothing to get excited over.
Ahh thanks! Wondering if the $37 price tag on MCE is worth it?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AAdamE

See LUS A320 / 320 – First class seating, best seats (consolidated).

You’ll get a better seat with greater width and pitch, first cabin amenities - but no power or IFE.
AAdamE likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:16 pm

Question about EQSs

Signed up for a gold challenge and need 8 EQSs in the next few months. I don't have many flights to book, but live in a smaller town where I have to connect to get to where I'm going. My understanding is that if the connections are all under the same flight number, they would only count as one EQS each way. If I booked each leg as a separate flight (basically two round trips nested inside each other), would that count as 4 EQSs? And if so, would I need to stay a minimum amount of time before catching my second (connecting) flight, which would technically be the first leg of my second round trip?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by wanderlust99
Signed up for a gold challenge and need 8 EQSs in the next few months. I don't have many flights to book, but live in a smaller town where I have to connect to get to where I'm going. My understanding is that if the connections are all under the same flight number, they would only count as one EQS each way. If I booked each leg as a separate flight (basically two round trips nested inside each other), would that count as 4 EQSs? And if so, would I need to stay a minimum amount of time before catching my second (connecting) flight, which would technically be the first leg of my second round trip?

Thanks in advance!
You’re correct. A flight that is a through flight and contains two or more segments with the same flight number will count as a nonstop flight, for segment and distance calculations. But if the flight is a round trip and outbound and return are operated with the same flight number, that will count as row segments, etc.

I’d be cautious about nesting if the flights violate any fare rules (weekend requirements, minimum number of days, etc.)
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: American, Delta, United
If I pay to upgrade a ticket in some manner when checking in online (such as paying for preferential seating), do those dollars spent get included in EQD? Looks like I'll have sufficient EQM, but be $50 EQD short of qualifying for a challenge to make Gold. I figured that it might be worth paying for preferential seating or something like that if it earns me EQD.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Good morning. I have what I think counts as a newbie question. I do a lot on BA but much less on AA so before I call them I want to know what to expect. I was booked SFO-CLT-MAD in a couple of weeks time leaving SFO at the relatively civilized time of 8.40 am (AA 1960). They have told me that they have rebooked me on AA 776 at the unpleasant time of 5.29 am. I'd really rather not do that at the end of my holiday!

There seems to be a better way to get to MAD at roughly the same time leaving SFO at 8am via JFK. Will they rebook me on that if I ask nicely? It seems unreasonable to change a departure time by over three hours....

Edited to answer my own question. I called them. They swapped to my preferred flights without question. I think BA would have been more difficult.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Last edited by hsmall; Aug 11, 2018 at 7:05 am
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by hsmall
Good morning. I have what I think counts as a newbie question. I do a lot on BA but much less on AA so before I call them I want to know what to expect. I was booked SFO-CLT-MAD in a couple of weeks time leaving SFO at the relatively civilized time of 8.40 am (AA 1960). They have told me that they have rebooked me on AA 776 at the unpleasant time of 5.29 am. I'd really rather not do that at the end of my holiday!

There seems to be a better way to get to MAD at roughly the same time leaving SFO at 8am via JFK. Will they rebook me on that if I ask nicely? It seems unreasonable to change a departure time by over three hours....

Edited to answer my own question. I called them. They swapped to my preferred flights without question. I think BA would have been more difficult.
AA tends to use a two hour or greater change as reason enough to be cooperative about changing flights to favor the passenger. Glad it worked out for you. BTW, some days IB flies LAX-MAD... and they’re part of the AA AY BA IB joint venture.
hsmall and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA tends to use a two hour or greater change as reason enough to be cooperative about changing flights to favor the passenger. Glad it worked out for you. BTW, some days IB flies LAX-MAD... and they’re part of the AA AY BA IB joint venture.
Thank you very much. Indeed I would have flown direct. But BA tier points needs required a stop somewhere >2000 miles from SFO
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Quick question. I want to put an Itinerary on 24 hold, then buy the next day. Do you still have 24 hours to cancel after it’s bought?
appears on tpg looks like yes but hoping for recent reports

Last edited by Ceres; Aug 11, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jim Brennan
If I pay to upgrade a ticket in some manner when checking in online (such as paying for preferential seating), do those dollars spent get included in EQD? Looks like I'll have sufficient EQM, but be $50 EQD short of qualifying for a challenge to make Gold. I figured that it might be worth paying for preferential seating or something like that if it earns me EQD.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

No, paying for preferential seating does not add to your EQD. Now, if you've purchased an economy class ticket, and then go back and pay the full difference between that and a business class ticket, those dollars would count; same for buying up from business to first. That's called "upfaring" rather than "upgrading".
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by 777lover
Quest curious. Why would u expect to be granted a fee waiver?

Ya never know. Jetblue refunded me in full when I called and asked to cancel my flight day of. Full blown refund, no insurance. Sorry, not refund, but full credit to use within the year.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Jim Brennan
EQD are based on base fare plus carrier imposed fees. Ancillary fees (buying MCE, baggage fees, upgrade fees, etc.) as well as taxes, government and airport fees, etc. are not counted for EQD.

See GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (2017 on) for further information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.