Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by milesforhire
If you have a ton of AA miles and plan to fly AA heavily via award flights, is it worth pursuing AA Gold? Reading the upgrade thread, it doesn't look like those 500-mile stickers work for award flights. Do MCE seats and Same-Day Standby (with fee waiver) work for award travel? Any other benefits get blocked for award flights?
Concierge Key and Executive Platinum can upgrade awards with 500 mile e-upgrades. Imo, it’s definitely not worth going to the trouble of earning Gold if you’re going to be flying some award flights. If you like some of the Gold benefits, the more useful ones are easily gained with the proper credit card. See What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Concierge Key and Executive Platinum can upgrade awards with 500 mile e-upgrades. Imo, it’s definitely not worth going to the trouble of earning Gold if you’re going to be flying some award flights. If you like some of the Gold benefits, the more useful ones are easily gained with the proper credit card. See What are AA ♦️Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd)
I'll voice a dissenting opinion here.

For me, two of the most valuable benefits of my Gold status are:

1) no $75 close-in award-booking fee; and

2) free MCE seats at check-in (and free "Preferred" seats at booking). Both of these are available on award travel; neither is available on Basic Economy fares.

In addition, Gold gets a free checked bag in Economy on all AA routes, not just domestic ones.

Whether these extras are enough to warrant going for AA Gold is something that only the individual traveler can answer.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Thank you for the link! I had trouble finding it in my searches because Gold is mentioned fairly often haha.

Originally Posted by guv1976
I'll voice a dissenting opinion here.

For me, two of the most valuable benefits of my Gold status are:

1) no $75 close-in award-booking fee; and

2) free MCE seats at check-in (and free "Preferred" seats at booking). Both of these are available on award travel; neither is available on Basic Economy fares.

In addition, Gold gets a free checked bag in Economy on all AA routes, not just domestic ones.

Whether these extras are enough to warrant going for AA Gold is something that only the individual traveler can answer.
Thanks for playing devil's advocate! I do think that the free MCE seats are a difference maker (and I'm glad that it works for award travel). The no $75 could also come in clutch in the future!
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Hi there. I have a flight with Qantas that is leaving from LAX and going to Brisbane. Before I catch that flight, I need to take a flight from Edmonton to LAX. If I book a flight with American Airlines (due to arrive 3 hours prior to my Qantas flight) will AA check my luggage through for me even though they are on separate tickets (but part of the same alliance?)

From what I've been learning recently it's AAs policy but usually in the USA you need to collect your luggage upon arrival. But last time I flew from Edmonton I cleared immigration and bag security in Edmonton prior to my flight to the USA, so was wondering if this might mean I don't have to collect my luggage? If I can stay in security and not have to clear it in LAX again that would be great. Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: AA EP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If all your flights are booked under the LATAM codes, then you'll earn based on the LATAM earning chart.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp
Mia-Gru is AA. GRU-Jnb is Latam. When I paid, it was just one fare. Since AA is by dollars and Latam is by miles, how do I figure out how much the Mia-Gru segment cost?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Hi there. I have a flight with Qantas that is leaving from LAX and going to Brisbane. Before I catch that flight, I need to take a flight from Edmonton to LAX. If I book a flight with American Airlines (due to arrive 3 hours prior to my Qantas flight) will AA check my luggage through for me even though they are on separate tickets (but part of the same alliance?)

From what I've been learning recently it's AAs policy but usually in the USA you need to collect your luggage upon arrival. But last time I flew from Edmonton I cleared immigration and bag security in Edmonton prior to my flight to the USA, so was wondering if this might mean I don't have to collect my luggage? If I can stay in security and not have to clear it in LAX again that would be great. Thanks!
Unfortunately AA does not check baggage through on separate tickets. So even though you can complete your immigration and customs preclearance in Edmonton, you will still have to pick up your bag at LAX, and then go over to TBIT and check in again with QF.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Thank you. I will book with Air Canada then to give myself a bigger (and safer) layover!
​​​​​​
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:08 pm

Which is better for me? AAdvantage or SkyMiles?

After a hiatus of a couple years, I've started a new job and I'm flying again. I haven't traveled since 2015, and the elite status programs have changed tremendously.

Here are the details:
  • I now travel about once or twice a month, but I just started and probably won't attain elite status anywhere before the end of the year.
  • I will probably travel about twice as often for a few months, early in the year.
  • For cards, the two airline cards I have are SkyMiles Gold and AAdvantage Platinum Select.
  • My card spend is probably around $25,000 to $30,000 per year.
  • Companion certificates aren't terribly important for me since I have a special needs child and my wife and I can't really travel together.
  • I don't take many trips for pleasure, so miles are most useful for other purposes.
  • I travel only inside the continental U.S.
  • My employer won't pay for upgraded fares.
  • I can fly United, Delta, Southwest, or American out of my small, national airport (that's more like a regional airport).
  • American from here is usually DFW, which I hate because it's always. frigging. hot.
  • Delta from here is usually Atlanta, which I generally like but the weather delays wear on me.
  • I fly to DC frequently, and American has a direct flight. ^
  • The most important factors for me are timeliness (getting to meetings on time and home to my kids) and;
  • Comfort is a factor. I especially don't do "hot and trapped," so I will pay out of my own pocket to not sit in the middle on a longer flight - especially if it's hot.
I'm up for a more premium credit card. I used to have the AMEX platinum for my business and loved the lounge access.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Which program is better for me? I'm seriously considering SkyMiles and AAdvantage, but I'm not necessarily against United or Southwest.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by argolfer
After a hiatus of a couple years, I've started a new job and I'm flying again. I haven't traveled since 2015, and the elite status programs have changed tremendously.

Here are the details:
  • I now travel about once or twice a month, but I just started and probably won't attain elite status anywhere before the end of the year.
  • I will probably travel about twice as often for a few months, early in the year.
  • For cards, the two airline cards I have are SkyMiles Gold and AAdvantage Platinum Select.
  • Companion certificates aren't terribly important for me since I have a special needs child and my wife and I can't really travel together.
  • I don't take many trips for pleasure, so miles are most useful for other purposes.
  • I can fly United, Delta, Southwest, or American out of my small, national airport (that's more like a regional airport).
  • American from here is usually DFW, which I hate because it's always. frigging. hot.
  • Delta from here is usually Atlanta, which I generally like but the weather delays wear on me.
  • The most important factors for me are timeliness (getting to meetings on time and home to my kids) and;
  • Comfort is a factor. I especially don't do "hot and trapped," so I will pay out of my own pocket to not sit in the middle on a longer flight - especially if it's hot.
I'm up for a more premium credit card. I used to have the AMEX platinum for my business and loved the lounge access.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Which program is better for me? I'm seriously considering SkyMiles and AAdvantage, but I'm not necessarily against United or Southwest.

Which airline meets your travel and schedule needs better? Can you hit top tier status on any of the big three with your travel patterns?

If one airline cannot meet most of your needs perfectly, another option would be to get the credit cards for all of the big three, DL Reserve, AA Executive, UA MP Club card; and then just choose whatever airline meets your needs on a case by case basis.

It sounds like international awards and upgrades are basically irrelevant, so your main consideration should be the quality of day to day domestic travel and any possible upgrades you can achieve with status.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Which airline meets your travel and schedule needs better? Can you hit top tier status on any of the big three with your travel patterns?

If one airline cannot meet most of your needs perfectly, another option would be to get the credit cards for all of the big three, DL Reserve, AA Executive, UA MP Club card; and then just choose whatever airline meets your needs on a case by case basis.

It sounds like international awards and upgrades are basically irrelevant, so your main consideration should be the quality of day to day domestic travel and any possible upgrades you can achieve with status.
That's sort of what I'm thinking. The two programs I know a bit about are SkyMiles and AAdvantage. On each of those I can probably hit the first level easily. The second level will be tough and the third impossible. On Delta I know I won't get many upgrades just being Silver. SkyMiles isn't what it used to be. On the other hand, their standard coach experience is pretty good compared to many others. Do you get upgrades fairly early on American or is that out of the question?

I could probably guarantee myself a good seat on Southwest by making their A-List at some point next year, but in the interim I will have some awful seats and I don't really get on Delta just because I plan ahead of time for the most part. Southwest just doesn't have as many flight options. And I don't know much about American. I've flown American a handful of times for convenience but I've never been a serious customer. Giving it some thought now.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:35 pm

That's sort of what I'm thinking. The two programs I know a bit about are SkyMiles and AAdvantage. On each of those I can probably hit the first level easily. The second level will be tough and the third impossible. On Delta I know I won't get many upgrades just being Silver. SkyMiles isn't what it used to be. On the other hand, their standard coach experience is pretty good compared to many others. Do you get upgrades fairly early on American or is that out of the question?

I could probably guarantee myself a good seat on Southwest by making their A-List at some point next year, but in the interim I will have some awful seats and I don't really get on Delta just because I plan ahead of time for the most part. Southwest just doesn't have as many flight options. And I don't know much about American. I've flown American a handful of times for convenience but I've never been a serious customer. Giving it some thought now.
Based on what you are saying, I would say do not go out of your way for status. Get the AA Executive Advantage and DL Reserve credit cards if you will fly maily AA and DL. Then just pick based on convenience. Hell, sometimes it’s better to be home an hour earlier or get some extra sleep by taking the most convenient flight as opposed to having to focus on one airline.

The mileage and hotel loyalty schemes can be a dangerous game that causes people to make irrational decisions. If you needed international F awards, or could score major upgrades domestically and internationally, then it might be worth it. But in your case you honestly will not likely get much. You’ll have important benefits from the credit cards anyway, and can pay for better seats when necessary. If you hit silver or mid tier, you might occasionally get upgraded as well. So, I would just diversify and pick the best flights regardless of carrier.
argolfer likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:43 pm

This is exactly the kind of advice I needed. I knew I didn't fly enough to really make it worth chasing status, and I honestly have a pretty good experience on both airlines just by being smart about knowing when to pay extra (LAX to ATL at 10:59p is a bad one for the middle seat) and when to accept an hour and a half of discomfort. Thanks so much for responding.

One final question: would I be better with a regular AMEX platinum (corporate branded) card with my current DL Gold in place of AA Executive Advantage + DL Reserve? I seem to recall that it gave me access to a lot of clubs. Or is Executive Advantage a must if you're flying American?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:52 pm

This is exactly the kind of advice I needed. I knew I didn't fly enough to really make it worth chasing status, and I honestly have a pretty good experience on both airlines just by being smart about knowing when to pay extra (LAX to ATL at 10:59p is a bad one for the middle seat) and when to accept an hour and a half of discomfort. Thanks so much for responding.

One final question: would I be better with a regular AMEX platinum (corporate branded) card with my current DL Gold in place of AA Executive Advantage + DL Reserve? I seem to recall that it gave me access to a lot of clubs. Or is Executive Advantage a must if you're flying American?
That was the old Amex Platinum card. These days, you will need the airline specific Executive and Reserve cards. You may also want Platinum for even more flexibility. If benefits and credits are maximised, these cards basically pay for themselves.

Yes, always remember that while as the passenger/guest airline and hotel status is designed to make you feel special, in reality from the airline or hotel chain’s perspective you are just a number and they are trying to get you to behave irrationally. e.g. take a less convenient or more expensive ticket in order to fly their airline over another, take extra mileage runs, etc... Try to be objective and make decisions in your own best interest. Sometimes going for status or a promotion does make sense. However, most of the time for people who cannot hit top tier and for whom one airline does not fit all travel needs, it really is much more of a luxury to just have complete freedom to take whichever airline works best for a particular trip.
argolfer likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:00 pm

This answer has to be on the Flame Free thread, but no long finding it...but my question is whether or not I can I lock in an upgrade to business class from economy on an award ticket shortly after booking a ticket. It's an international flight to LHR. Would prefer to use miles to upgrade, but maybe cash. If not possible to business, what about Main Cabin Extra? I am not a regular AA flyer and don't have status. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares

Here are the details:

Welcome back to the friendly skies. I got back into the game last year, achieving AA gold after not flying anywhere in 2016. I am in a fortress city so AA was the obvious choice for me. I got the AA Citi Executive card. Although it has a hefty annual fee ( a little under $500) it comes with Admirals Club membership, Global Entry/Pre√, priority boarding, first bag free, and priority check in. These little things matter. You may not have a lounge at your airport but going to DC often will allow you take advantage of it. The Pre√ is huge as well in busier airports. The card allows you to gain a certain amount of status without accumulating BIS miles. You could also do a status challenge. They are a fraction of what you would normally have to achieve but you'd have to do it in a short amount of time. Good luck to you.
JDiver and argolfer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.