Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by joecool1885
This may be resolved before it's answered: purchased an award ticket and cancelled it within 24 hours of booking it. No status with AA.
Agent claiming we must pay 150 redeposit fee + $25 for second ticket and that miles must then be used within 1 year.
My understanding was that such fees were for redeposit on a post-24 hour cancellation and that no penalties would apply to my cancellation.
Advice/Links to T&C appreciated.
What was the date of travel on the canceled ticket? Had the itinerary been on a complimentary hold before you actually purchased the ticket?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by guv1976
What was the date of travel on the canceled ticket? Had the itinerary been on a complimentary hold before you actually purchased the ticket?
Date of Travel: November 2018
Had not been on any kind of hold before purchasing.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:25 pm

A whole bunch of articles from June of 2017 - OMAAT, TPG, etc made it sound like a change in policy meant award tickets would be refundable without penalty if cancelled within 24 hours. Can't find definitive T&C.

Original source of data I believe was from JonNYC.. don't know where he got his info from, but seems like he's prominent on FT and pretty well versed and informed. Tweet of his below.

And from TPG: "DOT regulations require airlines to offer full refunds on tickets sold within 24 hours, with no cancellation fee, so long as the tickets were booked more than seven days before departure. Thankfully, these rules also apply to award tickets." - of course I don't know whether to take this to mean associated fees/surcharges on award flights are required to be refunded or the miles too. So very confused.

Last edited by joecool1885; Aug 8, 2018 at 12:42 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by joecool1885
Date of Travel: November 2018
Had not been on any kind of hold before purchasing.
This indicates that the refund policy applies to all types of tickets:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...rvice-faqs.jsp

(Scroll down to refunds.)

And next time, take advantage of the free, five-day hold on award reservations if you have any doubt about whether you will actually use the award.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Have a flight / status run on hold. I would be about $20 short of qualifying EQD.

Put it on hold to see if fares go up enough to get what I need instead of an extra short RT.
if it doesn’t and I call in to purchase hold. Is there a fee? And will it qual for EQD’s

Yes there are routes that cost more but this one has the lie flats. And yes I would rather do an extra RT than give up the lie flat on the long legs.

Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
This indicates that the refund policy applies to all types of tickets:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...rvice-faqs.jsp

(Scroll down to refunds.)

And next time, take advantage of the free, five-day hold on award reservations if you have any doubt about whether you will actually use the award.
Thanks! Agents are lame. Hung up on us twice.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Ceres
Have a flight / status run on hold. I would be about $20 short of qualifying EQD.

Put it on hold to see if fares go up enough to get what I need instead of an extra short RT.
if it doesn’t and I call in to purchase hold. Is there a fee? And will it qual for EQD’s

Yes there are routes that cost more but this one has the lie flats. And yes I would rather do an extra RT than give up the lie flat on the long legs.

If you purchase a held itinerary on line there is no fee. If you call in there will be a fee but it probably doesn't count as EQD. You could call in and ask to be moved to a higher fare class and then purchase on line but the step up is probably more than $20.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire

If it is literally only $20 eqd that you are short, there have been cases in the past where agents have been nice and granted status anyway. Although that is usually at the end of the qualifying year. If this is for a challenge, I suspect they might be less lenient.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Yea, the telephone fees don't count toward EQDs.

As mentioned above, give AA a call to see about moving to a higher fare code for one way or the other. Depending on your itinerary and the fares the next higher class could be as little as $20-40 or so above what you paid now which would put you over the EQD threshold. And way easier than taking another roundtrip somewhere just to get $20 in EQD.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
As mentioned above, give AA a call to see about moving to a higher fare code for one way or the other. Depending on your itinerary and the fares the next higher class could be as little as $20-40 or so above what you paid now which would put you over the EQD threshold. And way easier than taking another roundtrip somewhere just to get $20 in EQD.
Note that if you do that then you are simply forcing the purchase of a higher fare that may become available if the current fare bucket sells out.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Concerned about DFW minimum connection time

Schedule change on my return award flight, PDX - ROC resulted in AA moving me to different flights. The itinerary has us changing planes in DFW with a 1 hour connection time.

I understand that it should be fine, but if we do misconnect, what is AA's responsibility? Are they responsible for hotel and/or meals? To get us back in the same class (F) ?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Larrude
Schedule change on my return award flight, PDX - ROC resulted in AA moving me to different flights. The itinerary has us changing planes in DFW with a 1 hour connection time.

I understand that it should be fine, but if we do misconnect, what is AA's responsibility? Are they responsible for hotel and/or meals? To get us back in the same class (F) ?
If you miss a valid connection as a result of something they control, such as MX, and they can't get you out that day then AA will pay for a hotel. They won't if the cause is something like weather or ATC. They will put you in the first available First but may offer you an earlier flight in a lower class. If you stay overnight purely to get First then you probably won't get a room.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Note that if you do that then you are simply forcing the purchase of a higher fare that may become available if the current fare bucket sells out.
thank you for All the replies. I’ll call in the afternoon. Visiting mom at the hospital. What’s really funny if I hadn’t been so cheap with the other flights I took, I’d be over easily I was easily racked up a bunch of EQM’s but short on dollars. It’s definarely my own fault.

They are I fares, I wanted the 777 for the long leg. Oh well live and learn and ask questions. I’ll call tomorrow. Maybe put in another work trip right after Labor Day. Thanks again !!

Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:38 pm

AA-Qatar Award Change

My current award is DEN-LAX-DOH-MCT.Am I allowed to re-route DEN-CLT-ORD-DOH-MCT or DEN-ORD-DOH-MCT so that I can fly Qsuites?

thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Jaxfan11

My current award is DEN-LAX-DOH-MCT.Am I allowed to re-route DEN-CLT-ORD-DOH-MCT or DEN-ORD-DOH-MCT so that I can fly Qsuites?

thanks.
According to the information in the Wikipost at the top of the All Voluntary Award Changes: date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, cancel, etc., you would be allowed to change Free of fees (if there’s availability, of course).

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 9, 2018 at 1:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.