Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by findark
Thanks (and mods feel free to move as appropriate).

I'm mostly after general impressions - is seeing any way to get between these city pairs in November already better than normal? Does the general number of award seats increase as departure gets closer? I'm familiar with award travel in general and I know there are no hard-and-fast rules, but usually the local experts have some rules of thumb

I'm generally ok with either Y or J for the current rates; with 60k I'm obviously targeting one in J and one in Y (2 pax, so that's 60k exactly).
Domestic awards in Australia are obviously not a very common redemption so you're not going to get a lot of data points on availability patterns, etc. like you would for some other more popular awards. That said, one important point that I think you're missing is that you can book the less desirable or connecting options now and change to the nonstop for no fee should it open up.

So I would book say SYD-BNE-CNS now, just so you've got something locked in. Then, if the nonstop SYD-CNS opens up between now and then, just call AA and you can switch for free.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
I have a one way ticket for a flight tomorrow morning CMH-ORD which I don't intend to take. I haven't checked in. Long story, but I'm already in Chicago, so no need for the flight. I can't find a booking class on my receipt , but I only paid $157, so I assume it's a non-refundable ticket with high change fees. I'm wondering if this ticket has any residual value, and if so, how to go about attempting to preserve it. I see that there are thunderstorms predicted for tomorrow in Columbus, so I'm hoping that the flight will be significantly delayed and I can cancel, but with an 8;15am departure this seems unlikely. I only have Gold status on AA, so I can't do a free same day change to a later flight when delays would be more likely. If I get nothing for this, no big deal, but if anyone has an idea of something I could do with it I would be very thankful for the advice.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Domestic awards in Australia are obviously not a very common redemption so you're not going to get a lot of data points on availability patterns, etc. like you would for some other more popular awards.
Ah. They're such a good deal I was assuming more people would do it

That said, one important point that I think you're missing is that you can book the less desirable or connecting options now and change to the nonstop for no fee should it open up.

So I would book say SYD-BNE-CNS now, just so you've got something locked in. Then, if the nonstop SYD-CNS opens up between now and then, just call AA and you can switch for free.
Is that true with no AA status? I assumed there would be a prohibitively expensive change fee.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I would absolutely call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal EXP line) and ask for your SWU back.
Thanks. Will do that
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:30 pm

I've searched and searched. Is there a link to an AA meal resource, i.e. a C/J flight, over X hours or Y miles, at these times, provides this meal service? For example, I'd like to know what dinner is defined as on AA989, 11 PM out of MIA to MVD. UA has the rules spelled out fairly well.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Is that true with no AA status? I assumed there would be a prohibitively expensive change fee.
Yep, status doesn't matter, there's no fee to change an award as long as the origin and destination remain the same.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yep, status doesn't matter, there's no fee to change an award as long as the origin and destination remain the same.
Wow! That's amazingly generous compared to UA and DL.. I found the relevant part of the AA website but I'm still convincing myself it isn't too good to be true. That makes things quite a bit simpler, so I'm glad I asked!

To take a similar strategy on UA/DL you need (almost) top status
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:12 am

If I am in Osaka and my final destination is Vancouver and I want to take First Class JAL.
Does AA miles allow a re-position from Osaka to Tokyo? Then Tokyo to LAX, then to YVR?

I would take Cathay but Cathay's first class availability is harder to come by from HKG to YVR.
Any other First class route recommendation is welcomed, from Osaka to YVR

Last edited by ahh.lun; Aug 21, 2018 at 1:13 am Reason: additional question.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ahh.lun
If I am in Osaka and my final destination is Vancouver and I want to take First Class JAL.
Does AA miles allow a re-position from Osaka to Tokyo? Then Tokyo to LAX, then to YVR?

I would take Cathay but Cathay's first class availability is harder to come by from HKG to YVR.
Any other First class route recommendation is welcomed, from Osaka to YVR
Yes, it shouldn't be a problem to book Osaka to YVR in JL F via LAX. Don't forget about connecting through SFO as well.

JL is really your only option for flying F between Japan and North America. CX offers F through HKG as you mentioned, but this would require 2 awards and a lot more miles (and flying).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I think I may have made a mistake. I booked an award flight knowing I could modify it without fee if the flight is >21 days from the date of booking. However, I also paid for an upgraded $145 main cabin select seat (its a transatlantic fight). If I do modify the flight, will I be able to move that seat over to the next flight? Or will I lose it?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire

Request a refund

You can request a refund online if you paid for seats and you:

Cancel your flight, rebook, and pay for seats on your rebooked flight.

You can also request a refund if we cancel and rebook you on another flight, causing you to miss a connection or you're denied boarding on an oversold flight and we're unable to get you a like seat. For example if we move you from:
  • Main Cabin Extra to a preferred or other seat in the Main Cabin
  • Main Cabin Extra aisle / window to Main Cabin Extra middle
  • Keep in mind you need to submit separate refund requests for your flights, seats and other purchases
AA.com says you can request a refund of the seat charges after you rebook
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:08 pm

Hello,

After many days of searching, I found a one-way business class award ticket from LAX to ICN (with a stop in Hong Kong) by Cathay Pacific.
The reservations agent told me it will cost me 100K miles, is this reasonable or should I be looking more? (like with JAL or AA directly?)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by msworldwanderer
Hello,

After many days of searching, I found a one-way business class award ticket from LAX to ICN (with a stop in Hong Kong) by Cathay Pacific.
The reservations agent told me it will cost me 100K miles, is this reasonable or should I be looking more? (like with JAL or AA directly?)
Yes you should.
1) HKG is Asia 2 while ICN is Asia 1; AA does not allow NA - Asia 1 via Asia 2 on one ticket, so the 100k quote is two separate J tickets.
2) ICN and NRT/HND are both Asia 1, so with the permitted stopover time at Tokyo, you are only paying 60k for a one way J.

See rules here: AA oneworld & Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (master thd)
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:47 am
eyi

Hi,

I have about 90k AA points between two accounts and was excited to be able to redeem it on an international flight, but all the saved awards have connections that make it a really long flight, so I find myself not finding anything to book with my points, and just using shopping portals to keep my points from expiring. Does anyone know any way of finding good routes using saver AA points? Or is this just the way AA is??

Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by eyi
Hi,

I have about 90k AA points between two accounts and was excited to be able to redeem it on an international flight, but all the saved awards have connections that make it a really long flight, so I find myself not finding anything to book with my points, and just using shopping portals to keep my points from expiring. Does anyone know any way of finding good routes using saver AA points? Or is this just the way AA is??

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

AA does seem to offer more SAAver Awards requiring connections. Sometimes those can be changed for free if a nonstop becomes available, but of course there’s no guarantee that will happen.

If you have two AA accounts, I’d suggest having them merged. It will be easier to keep one account active, and since you can’t combine miles from two accounts for one award it will make your miles easier to use.

See this thread (check the Wikipost at the top of the page) HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance for a lot of useful information about AA awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.