Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wiivile
Was that domestic limitation always there? I feel like that limitation was never really necessary because international flights always included a checked bag, no?
I think it was always there - it usually gets noticed by people on Caribbean flights - but I didn't pay close attention in the early days. Given that they don't give you a free bag in those flights I doubt that they will extend the benefit to international flights.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Is there an easy way to add QF flights (booked via BA Avios) to my AA account so that I can view them in the app? I do this with UA all the time and I've done with it AA before, but I just can't remember how to do it this time.

Can't be done according to CSR

Last edited by milesforhire; Sep 6, 2018 at 4:09 pm Reason: New info
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:20 pm

AAdvantage Platinum vs Cathay Pacific Silver

Hi everyone, been searching the forums and Googling, but can't seem to find all the answers I need, maybe because they are matter of opinion. I'll try to be complete but succinct, thanks in advance for reading and replying. I am currently Cathay Silver/OneWorld Ruby. I do 3-4 flights BOS-HKG in economy/premium economy per year, so it's pretty easy to maintain this status, but difficult to get up to Gold/Sapphire. I may do one BA flight and a few short domestic flights also, but not enough to make a difference in terms of my elite status. I'm considering moving to AAdvantage from Marco Polo Club for a few reasons. Given my travel patterns, I believe it will be much easier for me to qualify for AA Platinum and get OneWorld Sapphire vs staying with Cathay. I'm motivated primarily by the ability to get long-haul international upgrades, either the rare free one or by using miles. Secondarily, it would be nice to be Sapphire and get lounge access when I'm flying internationally but not on Cathay. A distant third motivator is free upgrades and using 500 mile upgrades domestically.

The Cathay BOS-HKG route is non-stop and AA codeshare, so if I continue to take this it seems I should earn full miles with AA. Searching the internet, seems this question may not be answerable, but... will I have a better chance of getting free upgrades as a OW Sapphire vs a Cathay Silver (OW Ruby)?

My other question is around whether it would be worth it to start flying 1-stop AA flights through DFW, ORD, or LAX to HKG. What is the free upgrade rate like for Platinums? I believe I would be earning more miles on AA with the bonuses, so I would also have more to use for upgrade awards, and those upgrade awards can be used on tickets that aren't full-fare (which is the case with Cathay and makes it extremely difficult for me to upgrade myself into business class). Are those readily available? Any experience here is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by BOStoHKG; Sep 6, 2018 at 1:38 pm Reason: found new info
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOStoHKG
..The Cathay BOS-HKG route is non-stop and AA codeshare, so if I continue to take this it seems I should earn full miles with AA. Searching the internet, seems this question may not be answerable, but... will I have a better chance of getting free upgrades as a OW Sapphire vs a Cathay Silver (OW Ruby)?
You will not get upgrades on an AA marketed CA operated flights with AA ff miles.
AA only have a cross airline upgrade system with BA & IB, but only with expensive base fares and subject to hefty t&c's.

Non USA airline do not have the upgrade policy's/ffp entitlement of USA based airline.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Question about domestic upgrades

I am Plat Pro, but mostly fly international so I don’t have much experience with domestic upgrades.

I am flying Sunday afternoon domestic in Y with a connection. I’m now past the 72 hour mark for both flights and haven’t been notified about any upgrades.
Expertflyer shows C0 for the first flight and C3 for the second. I assumed this meant I would be upgraded at the 72 hour mark for the second flight as long as there were not 3 other PP with higher EQD than me, and that the C inventory would go down accordingly, is that not correct?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You will not get upgrades on an AA marketed CA operated flights with AA ff miles.
Yes, I understand I won't be able to upgrade with miles. I'm asking about free upgrades on CA flight as an AA OneWorld Sapphire member.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by outofbounds
I am Plat Pro, but mostly fly international so I don’t have much experience with domestic upgrades.

I am flying Sunday afternoon domestic in Y with a connection. I’m now past the 72 hour mark for both flights and haven’t been notified about any upgrades.
Expertflyer shows C0 for the first flight and C3 for the second. I assumed this meant I would be upgraded at the 72 hour mark for the second flight as long as there were not 3 other PP with higher EQD than me, and that the C inventory would go down accordingly, is that not correct?
No it's not correct. C space is the inventory you need if you were upgrading with miles/copay (or SWU), while R is the inventory for domestic "free" upgrades (also called UDU or sticker upgrades). Its very common to see C space in advance but still no R, even within the 100/72/48 upgrade windows. And on busy flights, it's also common for R not to be released until a few hrs before the flight right up until boarding.

Bottom line is that you can be upgraded anytime from 72 hrs before up to the gate, if at all. And just because a flight has C space open doesn't mean that the domestic UDU will clear.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
If I book an award ticket as PPRO, then make EXP (which should happen next month), and I have to cancel after I make EXP, am I able to bypass cancellation/reinstatement fees associated with cancelling even though I was PPRO when I booked the award ticket?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by seigex
If I book an award ticket as PPRO, then make EXP (which should happen next month), and I have to cancel after I make EXP, am I able to bypass cancellation/reinstatement fees associated with cancelling even though I was PPRO when I booked the award ticket?
Yes, all that matters is your status at the time you cancel, which will be EXP (so no fee).
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, all that matters is your status at the time you cancel, which will be EXP (so no fee).
Awesome, thanks. Don't want to miss out on this availability.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I missed the current buy miles promotion - ugh! Does anyone have any idea when the next one will run? I've got an award booking on hold for 5 days... think something will come up in September? Or do they only run deals a few times per year? Right now it is more than 0.3 cents a mile!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: VA/QF/AA/SQ
Smile Newbie Earn Rates on AA

Hi Newbie Lounge! I have a question with AA's Advantage program about the difference between EQM and EQD etc as I've spent some time online to work out what it all means when it comes to qualifying.

Say, for example, I fly Premium Economy SYD-LAX return on AA as a base tier member and it costs me $5000USD and the 7505 miles each way.

Would I be correct in assuming that I would earn 25,000EQD (5x 5000) and 22,515 EQM (7505*2 = 15010 then *1.5 (for premium)

To go up a tier do you have to reach the minimum EQD and EQM to progress a tier, or is it one or the other?

Thanks in advance !
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:33 am
amm

Originally Posted by ajreid87
Hi Newbie Lounge! I have a question with AA's Advantage program about the difference between EQM and EQD etc as I've spent some time online to work out what it all means when it comes to qualifying.

Say, for example, I fly Premium Economy SYD-LAX return on AA as a base tier member and it costs me $5000USD and the 7505 miles each way.

Would I be correct in assuming that I would earn 25,000EQD (5x 5000) and 22,515 EQM (7505*2 = 15010 then *1.5 (for premium)

To go up a tier do you have to reach the minimum EQD and EQM to progress a tier, or is it one or the other?

Thanks in advance !
Not exactly - you’re confusing RDM (redeemable miles) with EQD. In your scenario, say your ticket cost $5000 with $1000 of that being various fees, you would earn 4000 EQD. Your EQM math seems correct to me.

As as far as moving up to Gold, Platinum, etc. you need to hit the EQD threshold and either the EQM or EQS threshold. So for Gold, you’d need to hit 3000 EQD + (25000 EQM or 30 EQS).

Typically, 20-25% of how much your ticket costs are fees which do not count towards EQD so to hit 3000 EQD you’re spending about 3500-4000 in actual money.

Your RDM earning does depend on your status level (5 miles/dollar spent is standard, Golds earn 7 miles/dollar, etc.), but your EQD earnings are how much actual money you spent on airfare. This doesn’t include paying for seat selection, upgrading a reservation, change fees, baggage fees, etc.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
If I book a Basic Economy domestic ticket as a PLT can I still select a MCE seat at time of booking for free? Not clear to me from the T&C?

Seat details

Flights within the U.S., Canada, Central America, Mexico & Caribbean

You can choose a specific seat within 48 hours of departure for a fee. Otherwise, seats will be automatically assigned for free at check-in.AAdvantage® members

Elite status and eligible AAdvantage® credit cardmembers

Elite benefits may vary for flights marketed and / or operated by British Airways, Iberia or Finnair.

AAdvantage® elite status members and eligible Citi® / AAdvantage® or AAdvantage® Aviator® Mastercard® cardmembers are exempt from certain restrictions.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Sep 9, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:17 pm

If you use Avios to book a reward ticket, are you still able to cancel it within the first 24hrs? Would I receive Avios back, or cash refund? I know for normal tickets, you can cancel them within the first 24hrs and get a full refund. Just looking for some clarification before I go ahead and book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.