Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Looking at AA for an award ticket, use AAward miles.

CHS-SIN

I can't get it to display anything other than to call in....

CHS-BOM works and the last leg is on BA from LHR

Am I missing something? I would hate to call in and go thru the 7500 possible iterations of making my schedule, wifes schedule, sAAver fares hotel room deals etc all line up right.
Also, do sAAver fares work for OW partners?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

CHS-SIN

Am I missing something? I would hate to call in and go thru the 7500 possible iterations of making my schedule, wifes schedule, sAAver fares hotel room deals etc all line up right.
Partner awards are only available at the sAAver level. Awards on several AA partners, including the big Asian ones (CX and JL) are not available online so you have to call in to book. Most of us here sign up for a BA account, then search partner award space there. What you see to booked via BA generally closely resembles what you can book using AA miles.

Once you sign up for a BA account, search the US gateways to Tokyo and Hong Kong and see what you find. JFK-HKG, JFK-NRT, ORD-HKG, ORD-NRT, etc etc. Once you find the long haul segment, then search the domestic flight from CHS and the connecting flight from HKG or NRT, etc. Once you piece that together, call AA and feed them the flight numbers.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CHS-SIN

Put in a route that may work like CHS-LAX-HKG-SIN or sector by sector. If no availability it may not show
---> http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=CHS-LAX...SU=kts&RS=best
---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Changi_Airport

AAsaver are only on AA. Normal awards cost as the reward chart (in the AA web site) table for AA ff partners (OW and non OW partners)
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hi all - I’ve been lurking for the past six months, as I’ve recently taken a new position at work that has me flying every 3-4 weeks. I’m getting close to Gold, and will probably be able to maintain that for as long as I’m in my current position at work. I may flirt with Platinum, but honestly Gold is enough for me to get on at the end of Priority boarding and being able to select MCE at T-24, that will at least keep the travel bearable. I have a couple newbie questions that I think I know the answers to, but should be easy enough for someone to confirm my assumptions.

1. My next trip will put me over the EQD threshold, but not EQM or EQS. I assume I will get nothing for this (as far as Gold benefits), until I hit either EQM or EQS as well, correct? I saw some mention of “upfaring” earlier in this thread for someone who was just short of EQD’s, but I’m not aware of any way to get EQM’s other than actually flying, correct? Edit: I see you can get 10,000 EQM’s after spending $40k in a year on the Citi Executive WorldElite Mastercard, which I have, but I’ve only spent half that...

2. My next trip after that, I believe I will then hit EQM on my outbound flight. That will be on a Tuesday, my return will be on Friday. I believe all the activity usually hits my account within 1-2 days, so if I’m correct and I hit my EQM on Tuesday will I get bumped to Gold status before checking in for my return flight on Friday? In which case, will I get to pick an MCE seat at check-in, and board with Group 4, even though I had no status when I booked? Depending on my routing (haven’t bought the ticket yet) one leg may be <500 mi. If so, would I get put in the “auto requested 500 mile upgrade” queue as well? I’m thinking/hoping the answer is yes to all of those, but just thought I’d ask.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by DSM Flyer
Hi all - I’ve been lurking for the past six months, as I’ve recently taken a new position at work that has me flying every 3-4 weeks. I’m getting close to Gold, and will probably be able to maintain that for as long as I’m in my current position at work. I may flirt with Platinum, but honestly Gold is enough for me to get on at the end of Priority boarding and being able to select MCE at T-24, that will at least keep the travel bearable. I have a couple newbie questions that I think I know the answers to, but should be easy enough for someone to confirm my assumptions.

1. My next trip will put me over the EQD threshold, but not EQM or EQS. I assume I will get nothing for this (as far as Gold benefits), until I hit either EQM or EQS as well, correct? I saw some mention of “upfaring” earlier in this thread for someone who was just short of EQD’s, but I’m not aware of any way to get EQM’s other than actually flying, correct? Edit: I see you can get 10,000 EQM’s after spending $40k in a year on the Citi Executive WorldElite Mastercard, which I have, but I’ve only spent half that...

2. My next trip after that, I believe I will then hit EQM on my outbound flight. That will be on a Tuesday, my return will be on Friday. I believe all the activity usually hits my account within 1-2 days, so if I’m correct and I hit my EQM on Tuesday will I get bumped to Gold status before checking in for my return flight on Friday? In which case, will I get to pick an MCE seat at check-in, and board with Group 4, even though I had no status when I booked? Depending on my routing (haven’t bought the ticket yet) one leg may be <500 mi. If so, would I get put in the “auto requested 500 mile upgrade” queue as well? I’m thinking/hoping the answer is yes to all of those, but just thought I’d ask.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to FT.

In response to 1, you are correct-- you need both EQD and ( either EQM or EQS ). You can upfare to get more EQM. If you fly a paid Y (fully flexible economy), business or first class ticket, you will get extra EQM. See: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp. But if you are going to hit the target on your next trip I probably wouldn't think this to be worth it.

In response to 2, you will be entitled to Gold benefits as soon as your flight that puts you over the EQM target posts. However, AA's IT is not great, so for upcoming travel booked prior to hitting status you may need to call and have your AAdvantage number removed and re-added to the reservation for these benefits to show up (you'll be able to tell in your online reservation because you will see the ability to request an upgrade if your Gold status has gone through on the reservation). Any phone agent should be able to do this for you easily.
DSM Flyer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks, wetrat0! I've already booked my flight that will put me over the EQD, I suspect you're right about it not being worth upfaring to get the multiplier. I will be sure to pay close attention to my account after hitting the threshold though.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:32 pm

Hi, Sorry if this question has been posted before, but I couldnt find the answer easily (and AA website is not clear). My question is: I am EC Gold (ie OWE), and travelling on US domestic flights only (AA economy class) ... how many bags can I check in? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by filakia8; Sep 9, 2018 at 8:33 pm Reason: added AA
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by filakia8
Hi, Sorry if this question has been posted before, but I couldnt find the answer easily (and AA website is not clear). My question is: I am EC Gold (ie OWE), and travelling on US domestic flights only (AA economy class) ... how many bags can I check in? Thanks in advance.
You and those travelling on the same PNR can check in up to 3 bags weighing up to 70lbs each. This is a valuable benefit and it is fairly clear on this page: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ge-policy.jsp:

1st, 2nd and 3rd checked bags are complimentary for:

• Confirmed First Class customers on 3-cabin aircraft
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum
  • oneworld® Emerald
  • Active U.S. military and/or dependents with ID traveling on orders (1st - 5th bags free of charge)
  • Active U.S. military with ID on personal travel
The weight allowance is on the page linked from the page above: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...t-baggage.jsp:
First and Business Class, Executive Platinum and oneworld Emerald members can check baggage up to 70 lbs / 32 kgs at no extra cost.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Partner awards are only available at the sAAver level. Awards on several AA partners, including the big Asian ones (CX and JL) are not available online so you have to call in to book. Most of us here sign up for a BA account, then search partner award space there. What you see to booked via BA generally closely resembles what you can book using AA miles.

Once you sign up for a BA account, search the US gateways to Tokyo and Hong Kong and see what you find. JFK-HKG, JFK-NRT, ORD-HKG, ORD-NRT, etc etc. Once you find the long haul segment, then search the domestic flight from CHS and the connecting flight from HKG or NRT, etc. Once you piece that together, call AA and feed them the flight numbers.
OK, so for instance if I do a revenue flight and find what I want.... CHS-DFW-HKG-SIN
Then do an award booking on AA using the previous information, but stop at where the AA ends CHS-DFW-HKG at a reduced 60,000 miles for business sAAver class
Then go to BA to find the CX flight from HKG-SIN
If I piece that together will the 60,000 miles be the price or will it jump up to the normal fare because it involves a partner?

Last edited by Hipplewm; Sep 10, 2018 at 6:07 am
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, so for instance if I do a revenue flight and find what I want.... CHS-DFW-HKG-SIN
Then do an award booking on AA using the previous information, but stop at where the AA ends CHS-DFW-HKG at a reduced 60,000 miles for business sAAver class
Then go to BA to find the CX flight from HKG-SIN
If I piece that together will the 60,000 miles be the price or will it jump up to the normal fare because it involves a partner?
No, no. Do an award booking search at BA, which will show partners like JL that CX that fly to Asia. They have many flights from the US to Asia that will not show up on an award search at aa.com. If you find something there, then call AA to book it with your AA miles. A CHS-SIN one-way in business will be 70k miles. This is the same whether you connect in HKG or Tokyo, or use AA to fly to Asia or CX, JL, etc.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, no. Do an award booking search at BA, which will show partners like JL that CX that fly to Asia. They have many flights from the US to Asia that will not show up on an award search at aa.com. If you find something there, then call AA to book it with your AA miles. A CHS-SIN one-way in business will be 70k miles. This is the same whether you connect in HKG or Tokyo, or use AA to fly to Asia or CX, JL, etc.

UGGGH, this shouldn't be this hard i don't think. I have got to be doing something wrong.
I tried 4 different dates -
If I search for CLT-SIN, I get several results....
CHS-SIN - I get this:
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UGGGH, this shouldn't be this hard i don't think. I have got to be doing something wrong.
I tried 4 different dates -
If I search for CLT-SIN, I get several results....
CHS-SIN - I get this:
You're on the right track, but you need to search segment by segment using the BA tool. Focus on the long-haul segment first. So instead of searching the whole route CHS-SIN, search JFK-HKG, ORD-HKG, LAX-HKG, etc. Familiarize yourself with CX and JL gateways in the US and search each one to HKG or NRT/HND. Once you find availability on the long segment, say ORD-HKG, then search the HKG-SIN flight, and then CHS-ORD. If you can piece everything together, then give AA a call.

It's definitely a puzzle, however if you're willing to put in the time to search like this your results will be infinitely better than just calling a random AA agent and telling them you need to go from Charleston to Singapore on such and such date.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: HH Silver
Trying to decide if I should keep my AA credit card. I have had it for years, and never flown AA. Have 110k miles accumulated that I probably will not use for about 4 years. I am wondering if people think the 10K anniversary miles are worth the $89 fee, or should I cancel the card and get the fee free one to keep my miles alive.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
My less than 2cents worth:

I think we can agree that though one has never flown AA, the future does not keep one from flying AA eventually.

Idea: if you do spend on your present AA credit card, and you have been paying the AF, the bank just MIGHT want to keep you and waive your AF for the upcoming year. That's probably the first process of elimination step so give a call to give the bank a chance to appreciate your history with them. If they are not willing to do that, ponder a moment:

Do you need to keep that card that you have had for years as an anchor card for years of history on your credit report? If you have other high years history with other cards and you are keeping them, you could let this one go. Or not. Your call, of course.

Certainly many have seen bank(s) can be a bit topsy turvy about whether they are consumer friendly on any given day, so check your hard pull count and if it's under 4, try the no fee Citi AA card for $500 spend to add 10K to your 110K AA miles balance, keeping it alive with little maintenance.

Last point: If you won't use the present AA miles for 4 years, you can always apply in 2+ years for an updated AA credit card at that time, one with the free bag benefit, if still included at that time.

PS. My DH also thinks less is more when it comes to this topic. He would not apply for another card, at all.

Last edited by jan_believes; Sep 10, 2018 at 9:06 am Reason: A wise reference to my better half
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: HH Silver
Thanks Jan! Lol, yeah there are so many things to consider, that is why I have kept it. I really do not need it for history, I have lots of cards with higher limits that I have had longer. I guess it probably would be smart to just cancel and reapply for a different one to get the bonus again. It is the Barclay card, which is another reason I had hesitated to close it, I thought that they were going to do away with it, but now it doesn't look like they are. I never use it (once a year to keep active), so I doubt they would try to retain me.

Lol, just trying to cut down on the number of cards I have that I am paying a yearly fee on. I think I have it narrowed down to just are the 10k mile anniversary miles alone a decent reason to keep it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.